Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Found any good music in OZ?

Wikiposts

Found any good music in OZ?

Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:28 pm
Badge

Default Re: Found any good music in OZ?

A fantastic band is the Whitlams named after an Aussie prime minister. Not that well known outside Aus, and not quite so mainstream - they did however, play in Shepherd's Bush not so long ago.

First Album - Eternal Nightcap. Famous Song is "There's no aphrodisiac like Loneliness" and "Buy now pay later".

Very melodic.

badgers

Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:32 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
A fantastic band is the Whitlams named after an Aussie prime minister. Not that well known outside Aus, and not quite so mainstream - they did however, play in Shepherd's Bush not so long ago.

First Album - Eternal Nightcap. Famous Song is "There's no aphrodisiac like Loneliness" and "Buy now pay later".

Very melodic.

badgers
Better than the Aussie Iraq force then , that you had bubger all idea on , no several thousand troops here boy.

Australian contribution to the 2003 invasion of Iraq

Australian forces committed to the conflict include include three RAN ships, 150 special forces troops, Orion patrol and Hercules transport aircraft, and RAAF 75 Sqn. equipped with 14 F/A-18 Hornet fighters.

Old Aug 5th 2003, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Kendoddsdadsdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Are 'The Hard-ons' still going? - great live band saw them in Perth and Sydney. And what about the never to be forgotten Tism with their classic 'I'm on the drugs that killed River Phoenix' - saw them in Perth at the Big Day Out - try to catch them live - they're wild.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Kendoddsdadsdog
Are 'The Hard-ons' still going? - great live band saw them in Perth and Sydney. And what about the never to be forgotten Tism with their classic 'I'm on the drugs that killed River Phoenix' - saw them in Perth at the Big Day Out - try to catch them live - they're wild.
Oh my god, I saw this band about 11 or 12 years ago. Are they the ones that dress up like the Klu Klux Klan? Wern't they all University Professors?....or have I got the wrong band??

Sure it's the same one though...TISM = This Is Serious Mum

Regards
Old Aug 5th 2003, 9:59 pm
Badge

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Better than the Aussie Iraq force then , that you had bubger all idea on , no several thousand troops here boy.

Australian forces committed to the conflict include include three RAN ships, 150 special forces troops, Orion patrol and Hercules transport aircraft, and RAAF 75 Sqn. equipped with 14 F/A-18 Hornet fighters.

PB you're starting to overstep the mark. You claim that I had no idea about the aussie force - I don't care. I was well aware being in Australia when the force was being discussed. A contribution is a contribution. Next you'll be looking at people's charity donations. 150 SF troops are fairly handy to have for recce, stragetic strikes, RISTA, OPs. Just ask the regiment. Don't talk to me about special forces. You can't wave figures around my old son, and count just numbers!

Some people have no idea..

Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:19 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard

I know that sometimes conversations can get sidetracked but what the hell are you on PB. Music the threads about music!!! Why dont you keep your inane comments to your PB tabloid cut 'n' paste extravaganzas.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone seen Holly Valance's Kiss Kiss video?

Without doubt the greatest Oz singer ever!

The fact I can't remember what the song is like at all, only the visuals, does not worry me...
Old Aug 6th 2003, 12:05 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gavin B
Anyone seen Holly Valance's Kiss Kiss video?

Without doubt the greatest Oz singer ever!

The fact I can't remember what the song is like at all, only the visuals, does not worry me...

Another new rip-off of an old song

I remember in the old days when it was all about writing your own music, singing, and gosh, actually playing instruments!!!
Old Aug 6th 2003, 12:22 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by gOD
Another new rip-off of an old song

I remember in the old days when it was all about writing your own music, singing, and gosh, actually playing instruments!!!
Yeah I remember that to but like he says the visuals were impressive.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 12:29 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

A few recommendations:

Silverchair (already mentioned, but they deserve a second mention)
Spiderbait
Yothu Yindi
Regurgitator
and of course Mr Nick Cave

Old Aug 6th 2003, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

My (australian) wife LOVES Hunters and Collectors...
Old Aug 6th 2003, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

do the Datsuns count? there from NZ
oh and Rolf of course 'the big black dog was standing looking at me hu-ha-he-ha-hu-ha (panting dog type noises)' seminal classic
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't lived in Oz since 91 but I remember the old standards.

Hunters & Collectors are the really classic old Aussie band - were really big in Oz, unknown elsewhere. Got #2 for best all time song on Triple J listeners votes way back in 1990 for "Throw Your Arms Around Me" - great one-night stand sleazy song. The only Aussie band in the top 10 I think. Their album 'Talking to a Stranger' was known on the indie uni scene here I heard. The lead singer's brother was the drummer in Crowded House.

For classic Aussie rock that could be played outdoors at a pub full of backpackers Cold Chisel (Jimmy Barnes) were the 70s/80s versions. Used to live behind the Coogee Bay Hotel in Sydney and heard an awful lot of drunken singing along to "Khe Sanh" in 1990.

Now disposable pop, there's another story. Plenty of that in Oz. My second cousin was in a girl-and-boy band in the 80s in Melbourne called the Chantoozies. Had one known single "Wanna Be Up". Now presents Sex Lives Down Under seen on cable. Not a recommendation though.

Are TISM still going? Maybe I'm not as old as I thought...
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:14 am
gOD
Forum Regular

gOD is an unknown quantity at this point

Also AC/DC of course
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

gOD - AC/DC? You must be even older and wiser than I thought...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.