Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Forum has changed.

Wikiposts

Forum has changed.

Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Kath
Don't feel I've given up, I'm not too proud to return to UK. I can just see how my life might turn out if I stay in Australia and I don't like the thought.
I don't have a problem with people decideing Australia is not for them and returning to Blighty. I am against the people who continually harp on about the negatives (after being here for donkies years) without balanceing them with the positives of life down here.
If their were no positives surely 12 months would be long enough for you to decide it's not for you. I'm sure Ozzies and Kiwis in London have to make the same decisions for different reasons, it basically comes down to personnel choice.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kath
I would agree with you Wilf about 25% of people stay and are happy.

We were never 100% sure of our move, it took 18 months for the visa and during that time the niggling doubts set in. Once we received the visa we had to go for it, we left friends and family saying we would be back so no-one will be surprised when we return.

Planning to head back end of '04 after some travelling around Australia, we've been careful with our money (put it in property), was tempted to splash out on big 4WD but ended up with an old Ford Falcon and Magna wagon. Just as well as our kids will wreck it anyway!

Yes, I would say 25% is a guess but perhaps not too bad a one.

Sounds good that you lived carefully and wisely whilst here, less to get rid of when you go.

I think people should treat emigration in stages:
1. Leave UK and come here for 6 months, with full plans should they be needed to go back.
2. If still happy, make new plan (whilst here) to stay for 2 more years only, again with the plan to go back after that.
3. If still like it, plan to stay for 3 more years with return plan in place.
4. Plan to stay for good, log on here and start moaning about being trapped.

That way, only minimum stuff will be bought, best things here (the land) will have to be enjoyed more because of not much money being spent on tellies, etc, and you have return plans in place all the way along should they be needed. I have chosen my 6 months, 2 years, and 5 years purposefully because those seem to be important milestones when people often start to wonder if they are doing the right thing.

No doubt I am wrong, but I bet I'm not far off a good approach.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:35 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I don't have a problem with people decideing Australia is not for them and returning to Blighty. I am against the people who continually harp on about the negatives (after being here for donkies years) without balanceing them with the positives of life down here.
If their were no positives surely 12 months would be long enough for you to decide it's not for you. I'm sure Ozzies and Kiwis in London have to make the same decisions for different reasons, it basically comes down to personnel choice.
I think the positives fade with time. You know the novelty always wears off. Some take longer or find new novelties like knitting or solar-terrestrial physics, after the lure of the beach has gone. Maybe it does show a lack of imagination but some people are left with little to feel positive about.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

You keep making WRONG assumptions about me, but I've done contract work for the last 8 years and I won't even look at full time work. For your info I'm not renewing my next contract as I'm taking off on another extended holiday, which I could never afford to do in the UK but can out here.
Just because you are a poverty stricken pensioner, don't blame Australia for that blame yourself.

You can't afford to do it there either because you will need that money in later life is what I am saying. Contract work means no stability and you would be better to take the hard years now while you can do them easily rather than later on.

I am not poverty stricken precisely because I have been a saver and have not blown my money away. Now I hire people to do my repairs rather than the other way round. I did my hard yards when I was young so I could support myself in later life rather than spending too much when young and running into trouble later.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Florida_03
I think the positives fade with time. You know the novelty always wears off. Some take longer or find new novelties like knitting or solar-terrestrial physics, after the lure of the beach has gone. Maybe it does show a lack of imagination but some people are left with little to feel positive about.
I cant believe how often the beach is mentioned here in reasons for moving. Sure its pretty enough, but not much of a factor in most peoples lives on a day to day basis. Unless your going to become an active Surf Lifesaver or Surfer its not really going to fill up a lot of your time. Frankly when the kids were small I found it a right hassle, all that stuff to lug to the beach, sand everywhere, get home and unpack and clean it all up. Just seemed like a lot of hard work, plus the kids called it boring after half a dozen visits.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:57 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by dotty
I cant believe how often the beach is mentioned here in reasons for moving.
I lived right next to the beach in Wales and now right next to the beach in South Aus.

I'm not a beach swimmer, sunbather or sandcastle maker. The dog gets wet enough for both of us.

I just like to walk on the beach all year round. I could go weeks in the UK winter waiting for the weather to break and the tide to be out at the right time. Get a fine day and you couldn't move for daytrippers...
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I cant believe how often the beach is mentioned here in reasons for moving. Sure its pretty enough, but not much of a factor in most peoples lives on a day to day basis. Unless your going to become an active Surf Lifesaver or Surfer its not really going to fill up a lot of your time. Frankly when the kids were small I found it a right hassle, all that stuff to lug to the beach, sand everywhere, get home and unpack and clean it all up. Just seemed like a lot of hard work, plus the kids called it boring after half a dozen visits.
Just because you don't like beach life, stunning scenery, fantastic walks, etc don't assume that applies to everyone else. I generally go down the beach at least once a week when I'm working and a dam site more often when I'm not. For me it's an hours drive to my favourite spots, for loads of people it's just a 5 min walk.
Try telling me Brits don't like the beach when half the country flies to the costas in July and August, and the other half head to the local British Beach.

Here you've got warm water, beach showers everywhere, free electric barbecues on the beaches, changeing rooms, resturants and cafes just behind or overloking the beach. Last Sunday which must have been one of the worst weather days this year (19C) their was still hundreds of people on Mooloolaba beach, just like their would have been on most beaches around the country.

And your trying to tell me people don't like the beach life!!!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:02 pm
Not here

Just because you don't like beach life, stunning scenery, fantastic walks, etc don't assume that applies to everyone else. I generally go down the beach at least once a week when I'm working and a dam site more often when I'm not. For me it's an hours drive to my favourite spots, for loads of people it's just a 5 min walk.
Try telling me Brits don't like the beach when half the country flies to the costas in July and August, and the other half head to the local British Beach.

Here you've got warm water, beach showers everywhere, free electric barbecues on the beaches, changeing rooms, resturants and cafes just behind or overloking the beach. Last Sunday which must have been one of the worst weather days this year (19C) their was still hundreds of people on Mooloolaba beach, just like their would have been on most beaches around the country.

The point being made was that the beach is a nice place for a holiday, but would you base immigration on being near the beach! Surely not!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Paul I did not say that, I gave my opinion of it, that is from a person who does not find it a novelty anymore.

Dont mind me saying so, you just seem to get into every thread now and pick a argument with someone, anyone just for the sake of it. Most people on here can handle different opinions from various people without needing to argue post after post.
Its a forum, people should disagree and have different opinions, nobody is right or wrong because humans are all different. So you love the beach and I find it boring, so what thats life.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

The point being made was that the beach is a nice place for a holiday, but would you base immigration on being near the beach! Surely not!
The point is Brisbane is the center of 2 holiday resorts GC and SC, and so I'm living in the middle of a holiday resort, I don't have to fly to Spain or Turkey for nice weather and beaches they are on my doorstep. Plus I've got most of the facilities I had in the UK, shops, entertainment, sports centres, etc. It wasn't the only consideration but it was a pretty big attraction.

If you don't like beach life or hot weather you would consider it a negative, I like both and so for me it's a positive.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul I did not say that, I gave my opinion of it, that is from a person who does not find it a novelty anymore.
Well I'm just doing the same thing and putting what I see as a positive spin on the peoples negative posts, so as the people in the Uk can get a balanced view.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:52 pm
Not here

The point is Brisbane is the center of 2 holiday resorts GC and SC, and so I'm living in the middle of a holiday resort, I don't have to fly to Spain or Turkey for nice weather and beaches they are on my doorstep. Plus I've got most of the facilities I had in the UK, shops, entertainment, sports centres, etc. It wasn't the only consideration but it was a pretty big attraction.

If you don't like beach life or hot weather you would consider it a negative, I like both and so for me it's a positive.
You are lucky to bring together all the things that you find positive. The question then is one of prioritisation. So for you which came first the job or the lifestyle?
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

You are lucky to bring together all the things that you find positive. The question then is one of prioritisation. So for you which came first the job or the lifestyle?
No question for me it's Lifestyle, the job I've got is the pits, I could maybe do better in Sydney or Melbourne, but then I'd loose lifestyle.
You pays your money you take your pick.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We have had these sort of threads before. One of the 'wise ones' posts negatives and all the others jump on the bandwagon.
Don't you understand that most people that like it out there don't spend hours posting trivial rubbish on this forum?

I know if we are happy out there I won't be waking up and thinking 'oooh I am going to spend a day telling everyone how great is it out here!' On the other hand if it isn't for us then we will get bored and the posting could start.

I agree people have to be realistic about life out there, but many of us are going to love the lifestyle- which includes being able to access a beach.

It is not the realism, but the negativity that you lot promote that annoys people. It is a difficult move to make and no-one will know if it is right for them until they live there. Most of us however had put enough research and effort into looking, that we feel we should give up our lives here and move 10 000 miles away.

It is a dream, however that doesn't mean it won't come true!

Old Aug 18th 2003, 8:09 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj

It is a dream, however that doesn't mean it won't come true!

Great post Tinaj - couldn't have said it better myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.