Reload this Page >

Forum has changed.

Wikiposts

Forum has changed.

Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Forum has changed.

Anyone else noticed how the forum has changed over the last year (sad eh I've followed it for a year, still at least I dont do soaps).

A year ago I would stare at the screen in total amazement at the utter fantasy written about OZ. The days of crime free, perfect weather, jobs were never mentioned, houses on the beach for $100,000 it was like reading about Disneyland.

Now many have arrived and honest posts abound, did I hear someone say PB was not far wrong?? Reading about Perth here now makes me think Sunshine Coast is relatively quiet on the crime front (unless you like keeping the washing you peg out or the shoes you leave on the doorstep).

Real issues like Jobs, oops the casual issue, Health care, extreme weather all pop up frequently. Wages, house prices all the gory reality bits.

Its very honest and informative now, cant believe that its the same forum as the "Wonderful Wizard of OZ version of a year ago".

Cant someone ask a really silly question just for a laugh
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all
Default Re: Forum has changed.

[
Cant someone ask a really silly question just for a laugh [/QUOTE]

When I move to Perth - will my boobs get bigger??
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
[

When I move to Perth - will my boobs get bigger?? [/QUOTE]

Most UK men's do, what with the KFC and so on, so who knows?
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:23 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

When I move to Perth - will my boobs get bigger??
Gravity and aging would suggest the answer is yes.

Anyhoo, you'll have better weather to show them off.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[

When I move to Perth - will my boobs get bigger?? [/QUOTE]

This is a great question. I read in She magazine or something that Plastic Surgery in OZ is about half the price of the UK. So there you have it folks Plastic Surgery is a clear winner in OZ, just ask my sister in law
:scared:
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

I enjoy reading Expats during Australian working hours we get the nitty, gritty truth about living in Australia from those living there! I wish there were a few more Aussie posters when I read these pages 18 months ago. But, would we have done things differently? Probably not!

At least we can say we've done it, after living 1 year in the USA and now 1 year in Australia I know I want to live in England - I am and always will be English (a Londoner!) in my heart. I don't want to be one of those people still pining for the UK in 30 years!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

At least because of the experiences you have had, you know where you should be and if you manage to go back then you should be well & truly made up & settled.

Good luck.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

At least because of the experiences you have had, you know where you should be and if you manage to go back then you should be well & truly made up & settled.

Good luck.
That's what I'm hoping, it's a bit of an expensive, stressful way to go about it. Never a dull moment in our house!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:54 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

And fair as these green foreign hills may be,
They are not the hills of home.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kath
At least we can say we've done it, after living 1 year in the USA and now 1 year in Australia I know I want to live in England - I am and always will be English (a Londoner!) in my heart. I don't want to be one of those people still pining for the UK in 30 years!
Very wise. It gets harder and harder to leave the longer you stay, of course, and I think 1 year is plenty to know whether you are going to like living somewhere or not.

I have seen that people are cheered up by hearing that 50% of poms stay here for good. I know several poms who have settled here for good and I would say that about half of them are sorry that they did but are feeling trapped now (money, stress of uprooting in later life, etc), so I would guess that only something like half of that 50% (that makes it 25% I suppose) stayed for good and are happy that they did.

The majority of people on this forum, whether they believe it now or not, will end up going back to the UK or move on to another country, so all I would say to them is make sure that you bear that in mind when you live here and save (if the poor wages allow you to).
Old Aug 18th 2003, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Well I've been out her nearly 11 years come Sept, and I'd planned on going back for a holiday after 10 years, but I've quitely forgotton about that as I've found so much more to do here than I could in the UK.

I've no regrets about my move, just debateing about wether to go back to NZ or stay in Australia for the rest of my life.

So not everyone gives up after a couple of years, their is life after the UK.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Well I've been out her nearly 11 years come Sept, and I'd planned on going back for a holiday after 10 years, but I've quitely forgotton about that as I've found so much more to do here than I could in the UK.

I've no regrets about my move, just debateing about wether to go back to NZ or stay in Australia for the rest of my life.

You must have at least 30 working years to go Paul. That is an awful lot of contract renewals is it not? No offence son, but you seem to be your worst enemy half the time. You need to do the hard yarsd when you are young now so that you can take it easier later, not the other way around.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

I would agree with you Wilf about 25% of people stay and are happy.

We were never 100% sure of our move, it took 18 months for the visa and during that time the niggling doubts set in. Once we received the visa we had to go for it, we left friends and family saying we would be back so no-one will be surprised when we return.

Planning to head back end of '04 after some travelling around Australia, we've been careful with our money (put it in property), was tempted to splash out on big 4WD but ended up with an old Ford Falcon and Magna wagon. Just as well as our kids will wreck it anyway!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Kiwipaul

Don't feel I've given up, I'm not too proud to return to UK. I can just see how my life might turn out if I stay in Australia and I don't like the thought.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Wilf
You must have at least 30 working years to go Paul. That is an awful lot of contract renewals is it not? No offence son, but you seem to be your worst enemy half the time. You need to do the hard yarsd when you are young now so that you can take it easier later, not the other way around.
You keep making WRONG assumptions about me, but I've done contract work for the last 8 years and I won't even look at full time work. For your info I'm not renewing my next contract as I'm taking off on another extended holiday, which I could never afford to do in the UK but can out here.
Just because you are a poverty stricken pensioner, don't blame Australia for that blame yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.