Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

This forum can seem kinda weird......or am I just niave

This forum can seem kinda weird......or am I just niave

Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

misspink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This forum can seem kinda weird......or am I just niave

I am new to the emigration thing, and the forum thing. I was looking through some previous posts and discovered that loads of people hate Aus and are desperate to get back to the uk, or are in Aus just simply hating it!!!

Is there anyone who likes living in Aus, has a job, likes the food, weather, and is generally happy???????:scared: :scared:
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:06 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

I could not really be happier

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 15th 2004, 7:28 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

I think there are probably lots of people who have emigrated and are having a great time; in fact they're too busy having fun to post on this forum!!

Seriously, I think as it's a forum for expats, particularly helpful for those who need some support or information, there are a lot of ex-posters out there somewhere who are settled and happy in their new lives.

I sincerely hope to be one of them before too long!

Elaine M
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This forum can seem kinda weird......or am I just niave

Originally posted by misspink
I am new to the emigration thing, and the forum thing. I was looking through some previous posts and discovered that loads of people hate Aus and are desperate to get back to the uk, or are in Aus just simply hating it!!!

Is there anyone who likes living in Aus, has a job, likes the food, weather, and is generally happy???????:scared: :scared:
Not quite sure what you expected to find.
Some people move to Australia and love it ,some hate it.
It's not paradise.
Some Australians migrate to Uk some stay some go.
About half of migrants return to where they came from eventually.Make of that what you will.
No doubt someone will want to debate statistics but the reality is that it does not suit everyone.
I would rather listen to those that have been and tried than those who see Australia as some sort of Utopia although they may never have even visited.
You have to decide for yourself at the end of the day

Good luck

G

Last edited by Grayling; Mar 15th 2004 at 8:17 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:18 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hehe...if you think the current batch of posts are wierd, search back about 12 months.....will make your hair stand on end....:scared:
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:20 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
Not quite sure what you expected to find.
Some people move to Australia and love it ,some hate it.
It's not paradise.
Some Australians migrate to Uk some stay some go.
About half of migrants return to where they came from eventually.Make of that what you will.
G
Yep, that's what I was about to stay.

Oz isn't Utopia, some love it, some hate, some just get on with their lives.
Just like there are many people who love living in the UK or here in the Netherlands.

Have you checked out the 'Moving back to the UK' forum yet?
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

misspink is an unknown quantity at this point

My fear did come from previous posts over the past year! Anyway I suppose everyone has an opinion that is useful to the new folks...cheers
Old Mar 15th 2004, 8:52 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy
Yes.

I could not really be happier

Cheers,

DagBoy
Except when you dont have to start work at 6am .
Old Mar 15th 2004, 9:22 pm
wombat42

If you look at the names of the people who make comments about how much they hate Australia they tend to be the same 4 or 5 people who reguarly write posts on this forum which may give an unfair indication of the number of people who dislike Australia.

Old Mar 15th 2004, 10:03 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

also, EVERYONE will go through a period of being irritated (or downright infuriated) by their new country. for some it might be very mild, and for some they never stop hating it - because it just doesn't suit them.

And people deal with change or annoyance in very different ways.

Even Badgersmount must be finding his new home a little annoying at times.....
Old Mar 15th 2004, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I love it so far, though am very new so my opinion doesnt count as I'm in the honeymoon period
Seriously though, whilst some of the posting on here is doom and gloom a lot of it is just reality, I know that my expectations were changed by some of what I read here which I think is a good thing as the closer your expectations are to reality, the less likely you are to be disapointed.
There are plenty of people on here that are happy and love living in Australia, and plenty more that are happy here but not on the forum.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 10:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi Misspink,

I'm lucky (or unlucky, whichever way you look at it) to have been in both positions.
I once hated Australia, but now I love it.

My reason for hating the country ? It wasn't what I expected it to be, when I first came out here. It was great for the first holidays, but living here ? It meant adapting, to a new style of life. I didn't want to adapt at that time, and I didn't, so I didn't fit in.
Eventually I went back to the UK for a few years, but that wasn't the same as it was before, and I then realised the benefits of Australia, IF I was prepared to adapt and change to it.

So I came back, but this time to QLD.

I like the food, I like the weather and i'm generally happy

But remember, you must adapt to the new country. It isn't Britain!

And of course, some people will never like it, but for a lot that do, they will not spend that much time on this forum. They will be out there enjoying themselves, or just working hard

Old Mar 15th 2004, 10:53 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Well when I joined this site we where all ready to up sticks, sell my house/bussiness/waive good by to family and friends ect....

But now we are staying (maybe). I came on here with a clear veiw of what I wanted in life...No mortgage/more of an outdoor life for the kids/adventure ect. Nothing wrong with that

But after posting hundreds of questions (thanks for being patient) I reaslised that I could achieve all of those things here. So for the time being we are staying, but if we feel in years time or so that we need to move to then we will

Use this site to glean information, you will get umpteen points of view. Take out what applicable to YOU to help you make an informed decision on what/when/where you want to be

Some people will only post positives, other will only post negative, sift through and enjoy

PS Welcome
Old Mar 15th 2004, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default You who?

Last edited by scotvness; Mar 15th 2004 at 11:12 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:48 am
Badge

Default Re: You who?

eh, did someone mention my name??!!

I came to Australia because I like Australia. I got a pleasant surprise when I got here. Anything I find annoying about Australia I would find annoying everywhere. Same sh*t different bucket. But on balance, I find the little day to day aspects of living easier over here - I like to say its more 'congenial'.

People often mention that is the day to day things that you should consider, and this is the backdrop against which I have to do those very day to day things: (I call it life with 'power steering').

1) Less people (everywhere, even in the CBD, in shops etc)

2) I am not a beach (at all) or a sun person but I do prefer the weather. When it is really hot I am not frolicking around. I don't work outside fortunately - althought I have.

3) I like the sport - the codes of football played here and the way it is woven in to the social fabric.

4) I like the Australian attitude - of course, they are 'laid back', and will avoid conflict if they can. I call it the X factor. You don't get that in the UK. I can walk in to any social situation as a stranger and not feel a stranger in 99pc of situations.

5) Housing is better for people from UK who could not otherwise afford to buy the same. I accept that everywhere is expensive for the indiginous first time buyer. By coming here I rewind the clock back to 1998.

6) Flora and Fauna. Less grey in the winter.

I also cannot imagine the thought of bringing up children in the UK now in a 1 or 2 bed flat or having to plan for the weather. Many of my new mates here have kids and they all say its nicer for the kids. I am looking forward to bringing up kids here, but I dreaded the thought in the UK.

People often say that Australia is organised strangely but I think it is simpler and easier or the same as the UK. eg Centrelink, RTA, Medicare, TicketTek.

I never see Australia as a utopia as I don' t tend to do the things that people think are 'holiday' eg. beaches, cocktails.

I tend to work my sports in to life, the way Australians do.

My success in this country is not down to the myriad of details that so many people post about on this forum eg like range of items in shops, perceived superficiality of shop staff, perceived racism, pommy bashing (never had it), the availabiity of chips. I like Australians, and I like it here.

Quality of life to me is about making the best of opportunites, living a balanced life. and getting on with people, and Australians help make that easier for you. I would find it very hard to go back to the UK.

Good luck

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Mar 16th 2004 at 12:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.