Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Forget plugs - how about the overhead electricity wire?

Forget plugs - how about the overhead electricity wire?

Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Forget plugs - how about the overhead electricity wire?

My overhead electrikery cable has been inspected inline with new regs and has been deemed too low to the ground(and as a car is parked there in a carport) it must be at least 4m or so above, not just 3.0m.

Currentlly I'm having to duck to get in the house - OK so I exaggerate!

I've been told that I have 40 odd days to sort it out with an inground cable. When we were first bandying around figures I had to sit down.

But it turns out the company will sort out the underground portion under the main dirt track and put in the 'pit' at my personal power pole, and then I pay for the 'personal' bit. The cost (AUS2200) reflects hiring an entrencher - I'm concerned the trench might compromise a pipe taking my gutter water away to the storm drain but I am told that this will be fixed if need be - and the relative exy copper conduit.

But a good thing is that I can have 3 phase if I want it for a few hundred more, and that might well be useful if I want to get tooled up in the shed.
So it's a bit of an investment really.

Also, providing you show that you've sourced electrical contractors, etc and am not just sitting on the paperwork procrastinating, you get more than the time given, and they're nice about it.

B
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:45 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forget plugs - how about the overhead electricity wire?

Handy for Air Cond as well!

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But a good thing is that I can have 3 phase if I want it for a few hundred more, and that might well be useful if I want to get tooled up in the shed.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Handy for Air Cond as well!
Our AC runs off a seperate 15amp (I think) circuit but it's still 2phase.

Does anyone use 3phase here for tools? Most people I know shudder at the cost but of course they're starting from scratch or have no obligation to do it.

I actually see this as a real investment/upgrade and when you take into account safety - god it can blow a wind here at times - it's good too. Also: possums get onto the roof via the cable so that will be one less ingress route.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 1:01 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It will be 1 phase. If you ever have to get a new AC then you will be able to get a 3 phase one, they are cheaper to run.

Our AC runs off a seperate 15amp (I think) circuit but it's still 2phase.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by themerlin
It will be 1 phase. If you ever have to get a new AC then you will be able to get a 3 phase one, they are cheaper to run.
sorry - that's what I meant. Is there anything in getting a new AC unit, and selling the old one to save money over the long term....to say nothing for installation costs/infrastructure costs(!)

I'm not sure what the secondhand market is like in used AC(!) Ours is only 6months old and has 4 months work in heating.

I'm thinking it might all be academic.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:44 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

My overhead electrikery cable has been inspected inline with new regs and has been deemed too low to the ground(and as a car is parked there in a carport) it must be at least 4m or so above, not just 3.0m.

Currentlly I'm having to duck to get in the house - OK so I exaggerate!

I've been told that I have 40 odd days to sort it out with an inground cable. When we were first bandying around figures I had to sit down.

But it turns out the company will sort out the underground portion under the main dirt track and put in the 'pit' at my personal power pole, and then I pay for the 'personal' bit. The cost (AUS2200) reflects hiring an entrencher - I'm concerned the trench might compromise a pipe taking my gutter water away to the storm drain but I am told that this will be fixed if need be - and the relative exy copper conduit.

Also, providing you show that you've sourced electrical contractors, etc and am not just sitting on the paperwork procrastinating, you get more than the time given, and they're nice about it.

B
Save money and get a Chipmunk and a treadmill instead.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

callie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to behold

Um, call me naive but why the bloody hell do you have to pay anything for THEIR dodgy cable??? shouldn't they fix the whole thing?
Isn't that the same as making you pay for a stobie pole coz it's outside ur house?

WHO CAN WE SUE!!!! hahahaha
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:28 am

well it might blow up in a few years, or you might want to upgrade to ducted (if you don't already have it)

Not sure how much you save, 20% maybe so if you one of those people who like to live in a Fridge it might be worth it

sorry - that's what I meant. Is there anything in getting a new AC unit, and selling the old one to save money over the long term....to say nothing for installation costs/infrastructure costs(!)
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We live in an area where the blocks are quite big and there's room for a lot of complication. It's deemed that some of the infrastructure on your property (inside your gate) is your responsibility - like cutting away tree branches from wires. Maybe different housing styles have different needs maybe.

Having said that the meter board is the responsibility of the local util - of course - they have a vested interest in it's security(!) It seems that the mob that deal with power infrastructure maintenance are not, apparently, the same mob that deal with the electricity supply.