Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Forest Lake - Brisbane

Forest Lake - Brisbane

Old Feb 10th 2004, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

ex kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Forest Lake - Brisbane

Whats the catch ??? Fire ants? Inala? Isolated?

Been there. Its very nice and the house prices seem very resonable.

Can any locals comment?
Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:29 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Forest Lake - Brisbane

Originally posted by ex kiwi

Can any locals comment?
Most "Locals" think its too close to Ipswich, that's its too hot in the summer, too cold in the Winter, and probably havent been there

Old Feb 11th 2004, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Most "Locals" think its too close to Ipswich, that's its too hot in the summer, too cold in the Winter, and probably havent been there
So Ipswich is like the poor mans Brisbane ???
Old Feb 11th 2004, 2:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Can any locals comment?
Bingo. All of the above. Plus as ABC pointed out its on the road to nowhere ... errrrr Ipswich .

If you like living in McMansions on blocks so small that you can spit in your neighbours window & somewhere that your house will be lucky to get 2 hrs of sunshine a day then go for it .
Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:20 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

The missus has got friends who live in Forest Lake and we took a look around when we were over their last.

Seemed OK to me didnt seem to get the Inala element around at all. Places seemed nice but were pretty close together (but then again not everybody wants a huge block with huge gardens to maintain). Most people seemed happy enough with lots of community events going on with most of the amenities you need close by.

Thought we could live their quite easily.

TT

Can any locals comment?
Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Can any locals comment?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lived in Forest lake for 1 year, (Sugar Loaf Street).

Quite nice, no real problems with people from Inala or anything like that!

The house didn't become infested with Fire Ants and the people next door were very decent!

It does get hot in summer and cool in winter, but I can't see this being any different from anywhere else in Brisbane?

The shopping mall is quite good, there is a large Woolworths, Doctors Surgery, restaraunts and all the little convenience stores you would ever need.

The lake itself is also prety good, very nice if you have kids cos they can play in all the different playgrounds along the path round the lake.

The only thing to consider is that once the developer, (Delfin) finishes building the place they will hand it over the the Brisbane Council and my guess is that the landscaping standards will drop......it costs a lot of money to maintain those nice parks, lawns etc!

Overall, Forest lake is a very 'suburban' lifestyle, and we really enjoyed living there. The houses are a bit packed in, but the place is clean and tidy with no real noise and it is convenient.

If I can offer anymore information please do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck!
Old Feb 11th 2004, 9:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by paddythepilot
It does get hot in summer and cool in winter, but I can't see this being any different from anywhere else in Brisbane?
With the the weather comparisons I relate to the differences between Bayside and Inland, where the differences can be up to 10C, from what the locals tell me. When Ipswich was recently getting 39C, we were around 31C. We are about the same distance out, but East rather than West.

Old Feb 11th 2004, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Bingo. All of the above. Plus as ABC pointed out its on the road to nowhere ... errrrr Ipswich .

If you like living in McMansions on blocks so small that you can spit in your neighbours window & somewhere that your house will be lucky to get 2 hrs of sunshine a day then go for it .
Does all this also apply to Springfield Lakes which is quite close to
Forest Lake and also is being developed by Delfin?

Karen
Old Feb 11th 2004, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Husband cousin who is real estate in queensland said it is overpriced at the moment, alot of investors that are overpricing it.

And can get very hot over there.

Mandy
Old Feb 11th 2004, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Forest Lake - Brisbane

Originally posted by paddythepilot
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lived in Forest lake for 1 year, (Sugar Loaf Street).

Quite nice, no real problems with people from Inala or anything like that!

The house didn't become infested with Fire Ants and the people next door were very decent!

The shopping mall is quite good, there is a large Woolworths, Doctors Surgery, restaraunts and all the little convenience stores you would ever need.

The lake itself is also prety good, very nice if you have kids cos they can play in all the different playgrounds along the path round the lake.

The only thing to consider is that once the developer, (Delfin) finishes building the place they will hand it over the the Brisbane Council and my guess is that the landscaping standards will drop......it costs a lot of money to maintain those nice parks, lawns etc!

Overall, Forest lake is a very 'suburban' lifestyle, and we really enjoyed living there. The houses are a bit packed in, but the place is clean and tidy with no real noise and it is convenient.

If I can offer anymore information please do not hesitate to ask.

Good luck!

Good info Paddy. Cheers

Did you work locally??

We are in the tricky situation of having no idea on where to rent as "currently" I have not lined up a job.

We have been to Brisbane many times before and have seen tons of suburbs we like, but it depends on where I'm working.

Can anyone give advice on Albany Creek, Carindale & Ferny Hills / Grove ??

Cheers
Dave
Old Feb 12th 2004, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

We stayed with family in Keppera near Ferny Grove and we liked the area alot. It is right on the rail network, plenty of shops etc. nearby. Most of the houses seem to be Queenslander style. You can go into the hills for barbies and walks. It is not that far from central brisbane either. There are some new houses being built in the area.

Mandy