Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FOREMAN/BUILDING SUPERVISOR?? ARE THESE JOBS IN DEMAND??

FOREMAN/BUILDING SUPERVISOR?? ARE THESE JOBS IN DEMAND??

Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all
Default FOREMAN/BUILDING SUPERVISOR?? ARE THESE JOBS IN DEMAND??

Hi
I,m looking at becoming a foreman/building supervisor when we arrrive in oz.
Does anyone know if these jobs are in demand, the areas they are most needed and how much pay is???
I am builder and have been in building trade for 17years. (mostly residential building) I have supervised lots of projects throughout with my current employer. I also train young apprentices.
Any info would be great.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FOREMAN/BUILDING SUPERVISOR?? ARE THESE JOBS IN DEMAND??

Originally Posted by sutty77
Hi
Does anyone know if these jobs are in demand, the areas they are most needed and how much pay is???
I am builder and have been in building trade for 17years. (mostly residential building) I have supervised lots of projects throughout with my current employer. I also train young apprentices.
Any info would be great.
yes in WA commercial supervisors are in demand ,mainly for high rise projects ,already many brits doing thease jobs
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Catch
yes in WA commercial supervisors are in demand ,mainly for high rise projects ,already many brits doing thease jobs
ANY JOB OFFERS WOULD BE NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sutty77
Hi
Any info would be great.

What state are you looking at. To be a builder here You need a licence. Getting a licence in qld for eg you need extensive qualifications and experience, ditto NSW and VIC, other states I am not 100% sure of the requirements but similar. A licence holds you financially and legally responsible for your work basically. Australian experience in the job market for supervisor positions is probably the first question you will be asked at interviews. Some trade experience here first would give you a better chance, maybe a chippies licence then go for the supervisors licence which has recently been brought in too. Then they might consider a building licence, things have tightened up again recently.

Not meaning to be a party pooper but if you want a honest reply the building industry in OZ is in decline. Interest rates are around 9% many projects are being put on hold/off. In most states housing starts are in def decline despite a housing shortage. Qld, Darwin and adelaide seem to be holding up best so far, however adelaide is a pretty small workforce to begin with.

Take the trade you are skilled at, narrow it down to the State(s) you fancy, see if that state needs a lic for your Qualifications. Then search away on this forum, there are some very honest posts about tradework and licences etc.

EDIT forgot the pay question. Pay chippies now about $30 an hour was about 35+ but as the work market tightens. Supervisors well depends on the project and area, house supervisor for spec co, maybe 60,000 plus some might offer a ute and certainly a phone. Large blocks of units/towers you are going to need builders licence minimum, which is not easy to get but if you did you could get 100,000+ but those projects really will go to blokes who have massive experience here as well as the quals and licences, you will see why once you see the laws and regs here bit on the red tape side so the responsibility is huge.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 8th 2008 at 9:28 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Oakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to all

quite common in the UK for Multi skilled tradespeople to be called
Builders, Site carpenters etc,are often referd to as builders

A lot of Foremen and Supervisors climb the ranks from say Carpenter
to a supervisory position in Australia .But there is always the exeption
and if a company needs a company gets.

The builders licence in most states is quite Qualification based ,as there
are complex legal and financial implications to gaining one Or trading
as one .But cant see a problem if prepared to do Uni or a few terms at
TAFE.