Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The forces, they are against us!!

The forces, they are against us!!

Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default The forces, they are against us!!

Wow, what a few weeks it has been and it doesn't seem set to end any time soon!

I haven't posted for a while, partly because I was finding all the negative stuff about Oz a bit depressing (she says as she grabs her protective helmet), but mainly because we have had a real run of bad luck.

About a month ago our boiler broke down leaving us without hot water for nearly a week as the boiler people had to order a pump. We joined a gym so that we could shower (actually, that was quite a good thing because I quite enjoy it!).

Then about a week after that, a shelf in the kitchen that carried a beloved china tea service of mine came crashing down at about 5am in the morning and our insurance company said we weren't covered for 'accidental damage' - we still have no idea what we actually pay household insurance for in that case - so we can't afford to replace it.

Last week my 7 year old was having a huge tantrum in the car and I took my eyes off the road for a nanosecond and rear-ended a woman who had stopped to let a bus in and is now suing me for 'injuries sustained' even though there was absolutely no damage to her car. luckily for us we are comprehensively insured and covered for that.

This tuesday I was driving to collect my daughter from school when a car overtook on my side of the road causing me to swerve and hit a parked car. Luckily for me the damage to her car was minimal (as I was driving slowly) and she said she wouldn't even claim (didn't even take my details). The damage to my car,however, was quite extensive down the passenger side (I clipped her bumper trying to squeeze into a space to avoid the oncoming car). Of course, the offending driver just drove off!

The insurance company has said that we have to treat it as two separate claims and thus have to pay two sets of excesses, which is excessive to say the least at £220 (people make sure you know what your excess is).

Then, this morning, we woke up to our boiler having broken down again, precisely two weeks before we are due to complete on our house and a month after it was meant to have been 'fixed'.

I am beginning to think that the Gods are against us moving to Oz. But will that stop us, no bloody way. All I can say is Bring It On, because we are still going, no matter what.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:04 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The forces, they are against us!!

Originally Posted by coxfamuk

I haven't posted for a while, partly because I was finding all the negative stuff about Oz a bit depressing (she says as she grabs her protective helmet), but mainly because we have had a real run of bad luck.

About a month ago our boiler broke down leaving us without hot water for nearly a week as the boiler people had to order a pump. We joined a gym so that we could shower (actually, that was quite a good thing because I quite enjoy it!).

Then about a week after that, a shelf in the kitchen that carried a beloved china tea service of mine came crashing down at about 5am in the morning and our insurance company said we weren't covered for 'accidental damage' - we still have no idea what we actually pay household insurance for in that case - so we can't afford to replace it.

Last week my 7 year old was having a huge tantrum in the car and I took my eyes off the road for a nanosecond and rear-ended a woman who had stopped to let a bus in and is now suing me for 'injuries sustained' even though there was absolutely no damage to her car. luckily for us we are comprehensively insured and covered for that.

This tuesday I was driving to collect my daughter from school when a car overtook on my side of the road causing me to swerve and hit a parked car. Luckily for me the damage to her car was minimal (as I was driving slowly) and she said she wouldn't even claim (didn't even take my details). The damage to my car,however, was quite extensive down the passenger side (I clipped her bumper trying to squeeze into a space to avoid the oncoming car). Of course, the offending driver just drove off!

The insurance company has said that we have to treat it as two separate claims and thus have to pay two sets of excesses, which is excessive to say the least at £220 (people make sure you know what your excess is).

Then, this morning, we woke up to our boiler having broken down again, precisely two weeks before we are due to complete on our house and a month after it was meant to have been 'fixed'.

I am beginning to think that the Gods are against us moving to Oz. But will that stop us, no bloody way. All I can say is Bring It On, because we are still going, no matter what.

Good on yer. Stick at it. With the women suing you, try and hang out until you're due to leave the country, then give her a call, tell her you're leaving the country and she can stick her claim up her ahem.

Paul.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by diddy
Good on yer. Stick at it. With the women suing you, try and hang out until you're due to leave the country, then give her a call, tell her you're leaving the country and she can stick her claim up her ahem.

Paul.
Good idea. The guy at the insurance company said that they are getting more and more compensation claims through and they know that most of them are fake but they are powerless to do anything about it.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:10 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea. The guy at the insurance company said that they are getting more and more compensation claims through and they know that most of them are fake but they are powerless to do anything about it.
Way of the world unfortunately. I remember meeting someone on a dive trip about 10 years ago who was financing their trip around the world trip with a compo claim. They weren't injured enough to not go scuba diving though.

And the rest of us end up paying more and more insurance. Good luck with it though.

Paul.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 6:10 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Cor blimey. Have you fallen out with a gypsy

Don't worry, these things are sent to try us. We had a few calamities a couple of weeks before we set off, and right up to leaving. We did wonder if it was an omen...lol..

We got here [eventually].....and are as happy as pigs in errr.....errr.....you know what

Chin up and keep at it. You'll soon be here
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

mish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of lightmish & al is a glorious beacon of light

Wow.... you have had a run of bad luck haven't ya??

I know how you feel with the whole crash thing too.
I was involved in an accident in April (which we argued the toss for because i still feel as though it wasn't my fault) anyway, as it turns out my insurance company had to accept liability!! (long story!)

So my insurance company explained that 'she had put in a compensation claim for whiplash' - fair enough i thought, evryone seems to these days!!
Then, last week i received a county court letter... WTF??

She is a housewife and has filed for further compensation as she said that she could not clean her house, take the kids to school, maintain her garden or walk the dog. She had to rely on her sister and mother for help.
Therefore she had equated that the average cost for these tasks is £8 per hour and she totalled up the amount of hours she could complete the tasks and worked out how much money she should expect....it totalled £1600.

I wouldn't mind so much but enclosed was a copy of the medical report. It stated that she did not attend A&E to have the whiplash noted after the incident but waited several days and made an appt at her doctors!! So i can't believe she was in that much pain!! She seemed fine when she jumped out of the car after the accident as did i!!

Anyway, my insurance company have taken all of the documents and will respond on my behalf, i just hope they fight this.... it seems a little cheeky if you ask me!!

I think these things are sent to try us as stated above, but it's so bloody annoying - especially when you have a million other things on your mind!!!!

Hope it picks up soon for ya!!
Mish x x x
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:17 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah,

I thought you'd been abit quiet - now I know why! Sorry that you seem to be having such a run of bad luck at the moment, but glad you've managed to maintain your sense of humour!! Not been easy, I'm sure!

Nicky
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't bother buying a Lottery Ticket if I were you!!

You'll look back at this and laugh one day -
honestly you will!!!

Good luck with the completion of your house sale - that'll be one more obstacle out of the way!

Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:17 am
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh Sarah, what an awful run of bad luck, look on the bright side...at least you're getting it out of the way now so when you get to the other side everything should run smoothly
Old Oct 14th 2005, 10:34 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Way of the world unfortunately. I remember meeting someone on a dive trip about 10 years ago who was financing their trip around the world trip with a compo claim. They weren't injured enough to not go scuba diving though.

And the rest of us end up paying more and more insurance. Good luck with it though.

Paul.
there`s a guy driving round lonsdale in a spanking new ford ute who`s reg number is compo nice huh