The Footy Show

Old Apr 15th 2004, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough
Default The Footy Show

ok, it's really rugby, but....

the daredevils sketch tonight was absolutely superb.

Still crying with laughter.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

We don't get the NRL Footy Show in Melbourne until 11.45 tonight. We have to watch AFL edition first.

Saw the Daredevil Stunts last week and thought it was well funny. Will look forward to seeing tonight's pranks!!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by WhiteRose
We don't get the NRL Footy Show in Melbourne until 11.45 tonight. We have to watch AFL edition first.
The versions of the Footy Show were commented on recently in one of the Melbourne newspapers (think it was the Herald Sun).

Basically the journo was really cheesed off that the fella from the TV program, 'A Current Affair' (based in Sydney) referred to the NRL Footy Show as 'the' Footy Show (which it is... )

The sports fans in Melbourne are already cheesed off that ABC has moved sports news about a month ago from Melbourne to Sydney.

('what do they know about AFL').
Old Apr 15th 2004, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by young_lad
The versions of the Footy Show were commented on recently in one of the Melbourne newspapers (think it was the Herald Sun).

Basically the journo was really cheesed off that the fella from the TV program, 'A Current Affair' (based in Sydney) referred to the NRL Footy Show as 'the' Footy Show (which it is... )

The sports fans in Melbourne are already cheesed off that ABC has moved sports news about a month ago from Melbourne to Sydney.

('what do they know about AFL').

Although AFL is dominant in Melbourne, the media here do tend to neglect the one and only NRL team - Melbourne Storm. We came over to Aus as Rugby League supporters and we became members of The Storm the week we arrived.

It's just a shame both sports can't be reported on equally to accommodate supporters of both AFL and NRL. Maybe then Melbourne Storm would gain an increase in attendance!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 12:50 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Any converts out there who used to love soccer who now prefer the AFL or NRL out here in Aus. I find soccer pretty boring now after getting into AFL.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Bordy
Any converts out there who used to love soccer who now prefer the AFL or NRL out here in Aus. I find soccer pretty boring now after getting into AFL.
As far as we're concerned, watching the Leeds Rhinos or Hull FC Rugby League teams was always far more exciting than watching Leeds United or Hull City!! (And that was before the 'Dark Days' of Leeds United began!!)
Old Apr 15th 2004, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm slowly getting into AFL (can't avoid it really in Melbourne), but this weekend Liverpool are being shown on SBS so I'll be watching that (actually, I'll probably tape it !!)
Old Apr 15th 2004, 1:16 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by young_lad
I'm slowly getting into AFL (can't avoid it really in Melbourne), but this weekend Liverpool are being shown on SBS so I'll be watching that (actually, I'll probably tape it !!)
Hope youve picked the Bombers as your team.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:57 pm
Badge

BOLLOCKS I was tired so deliberately missed it - despite originally staying up for it...

The AFL version is not as good as the NRL version. Fatty and his mates are much funnier. The AFL version gets a bit dry at times.

I know what you mean Bordy, I could never watch soccer now, or listen to UK soccer pundits; compared to the Australian boys they cannot tell a joke, or string a single sentence together with out sounding educationally sub-standard!! The likes of Lineker, that high pitched northern bloke with the moustache, Venables are just embarassing, I find. The Aussie blokes are really good role models eg McQuire, Fatty, all the crew. They are very personable and seem like TV presenters. You'd never guess they were ex footballers.

BM

Last edited by badgersmount; Apr 16th 2004 at 12:16 am.

Old Apr 16th 2004, 12:05 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I find the Aussie sports presenters rank amateurs with a primary school sense of humour. If I want comedy I'll watch a comedian not some closet drag queens.

Those I know who watch the footy show tend to be educationally substandard.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 12:15 am
Badge

Originally posted by bondipom
I find the Aussie sports presenters rank amateurs with a primary school sense of humour. If I want comedy I'll watch a comedian not some closet drag queens.

Those I know who watch the footy show tend to be educationally substandard.
oh indeed, the humor IS toilet and playground, but they pass it off professionally (ie on TV) is my point. I can't see Lineker, Venables and the high pitched northern bloke et al being able to pull off all that. They are not articulate enough. I guess many footy show watchers will be educationally substandard, but I expect the presenters to be able to string a sentence together, not use a string of cliches, and "he'll come back, he'll come back" whilst wincing (Venables) as a line of analysis...or a mumble (Lineker). I gave up with the UK footy presenters years ago.

I love the Footy Show!!

Old Apr 16th 2004, 12:32 am

Originally posted by badgersmount
oh indeed, the humor IS toilet and playground, but they pass it off professionally (ie on TV) is my point. I can't see Lineker, Venables and the high pitched northern bloke et al being able to pull off all that. They are not articulate enough. I guess many footy show watchers will be educationally substandard, but I expect the presenters to be able to string a sentence together, not use a string of cliches, and "he'll come back, he'll come back" whilst wincing (Venables) as a line of analysis...or a mumble (Lineker). I gave up with the UK footy presenters years ago.

I love the Footy Show!!

Venners and the links articulate football well enough and far better than anyone at channel 9 can muster. They are not comedians and thank god for that otherwise we would have a British footy show.

Comedians should do the comedy and footy experts the commentary. I have tried to watch the footy show but I just cringe at the attempts at humour. Seeing fatty in a dress for the thousandth time is not funny.

There is good Australian comedy out there but just not on the footy show.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 4:10 am
The Godfather

Originally posted by bondipom
Venners and the links articulate football well enough and far better than anyone at channel 9 can muster. They are not comedians and thank god for that otherwise we would have a British footy show.

Comedians should do the comedy and footy experts the commentary. I have tried to watch the footy show but I just cringe at the attempts at humour. Seeing fatty in a dress for the thousandth time is not funny.

There is good Australian comedy out there but just not on the footy show.

Each to there own, you sound more of an ABC man BP.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 4:15 am

Each to there own, you sound more of an ABC man BP.
Defo

I watch more SBS than anything else. I find Channel 9 awful and I cannot remember the last thing I watched on there. Probably the footy show.
Old Apr 16th 2004, 4:27 am
The Godfather

Best proggy Ive seen in ages was the recent "State of Play" on ABC made by the good ol BBC. Excellant Drama.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.