Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

footie on terestial tv

footie on terestial tv

Old Mar 20th 2005, 6:19 pm
blossom

Thumbs up footie on terestial tv

Can you still watch the footie (rugby league) on terestial tv or is it all on Murdock's sky?

When we lived in Oz until 94 you could watch it on Channel 9 on a Friday and Channel 5 ABC on Saturdays.

Cheers from
blossoms better half

Last edited by blossom; Mar 20th 2005 at 6:24 pm.

Old Mar 20th 2005, 7:41 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: footie on terestial tv

Originally Posted by blossom
Can you still watch the footie (rugby league) on terestial tv or is it all on Murdock's sky?

When we lived in Oz until 94 you could watch it on Channel 9 on a Friday and Channel 5 ABC on Saturdays.

Cheers from
blossoms better half

I'm pretty sure its on free-to-air (terrestrial) tv still. They were negotiating AFL rights recently so thats shown on FTA tv also, as well as Foxtel (sky).

You can check whats on tv here
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers from
blossoms better half
Channel 9 shows NRL games on friday night and sunday arvo - ABC start showing queensland cup games as of this saturday!!!!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:57 am
PommieLeague

Ahhh a breath of fresh air. I mean nice to see another rugby league thread here.
Im sure the following:
Bondipom
RichS
renth
Ceri
NJJ

will be reeling after this, with them being obsessed with the 15 a side fatties code.

Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers from
blossoms better half
Fox and channel 9 have the rights. There will be regional variations as I don't think the Victorians give a monkeys f&*k about the game.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Ahhh a breath of fresh air. I mean nice to see another rugby league thread here.
Im sure the following:
Bondipom
RichS
renth
Ceri
NJJ

will be reeling after this, with them being obsessed with the 15 a side fatties code.
The only obsession around here is your constant knocking of anything other than league.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:12 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by bondipom
Fox and channel 9 have the rights. There will be regional variations as I don't think the Victorians give a monkeys f&*k about the game.
10,000 isnt a bad average for the Storm, and Im sure it will increase once a State of Origin game is played there.

Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:14 am

10,000 isnt a bad average for the Storm, and Im sure it will increase once a State of Origin game is played there.
Expat Sydneysiders. I believe the Swannies get over 20,000 at the SCG. Bastards beat the dragons as well.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:22 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by bondipom
Expat Sydneysiders. I believe the Swannies get over 20,000 at the SCG. Bastards beat the dragons as well.
Different kettle of fish BD.
Most Victorians are parochial AFL people who want to see the demise of League in Vic.
NSW are much more open to see other codes, hence the NSW Waratahs getting good gates as well.
The Swans are a one city club, Sydney Roosters are an eastern suburbs side of amongst 10 NRL clubs in greater Sydney.

Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:38 am
blossom

Thumbs up Re: footie on terestial tv

Originally Posted by JohnoBronco
Channel 9 shows NRL games on friday night and sunday arvo - ABC start showing queensland cup games as of this saturday!!!!!!!
thanks for that JohnoBronco
when we lived in nsw we supported illawarra steelers I think they merged with the dragons unfortunately ,so when we come back over i think we will follow alfies old squad and support good ole broncos.
by the way do they still have the state of origin it must have changed though with all those new states coming in it used to be just NSW V QLAND?
cheers
blossoms better half

Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:52 am

when we lived in nsw we supported illawarra steelers I think they merged with the dragons unfortunately ,so when we come back over i think we will follow alfies old squad and support good ole broncos.
by the way do they still have the state of origin it must have changed though with all those new states coming in it used to be just NSW V QLAND?
cheers
blossoms better half
Vic is the only other state to have a team and with only the Storm there is not a team. State of Origin is still on with NSW vs QLD. The dragons did merge with Illawarra. A lot of the teams merged after the NRL was created from the previous farce.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

cheers
blossoms better half
Oh yes state of origin is still on channel 9 as its the biggest 3 gemes of the year - and i've got my order in for tickets for game one at suncorp - Go u maroons!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

I cant see a game ever being played there as neither QLD or NSW would want to give up home advantage - Cant see there ever being a Victorian side either but stranger things have happened
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Im sure the following:
Bondipom
RichS
renth
Ceri
NJJ

I challenge you to find any posting whatever which indicates I have a preference to union over league. Just try it.

I have a preference to the more constructive comments of the others on your list over the boorish ramblings you come out with.

Swnas do attract between 20 and 40,000 to a game.

Clearly you aren't exactly up with League, as they have already played State of Origin in Melbourne.

I've been to 2 games in the NRL this season - attendances were pretty good, but obviously the Souths move to Telstra will ensure that crowds go backwards there. 120,000 was the first weekend aggregate - what do you think the equivalent AFL aggregate will be?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RichS
I've been to 2 games in the NRL this season - attendances were pretty good, but obviously the Souths move to Telstra will ensure that crowds go backwards there.
I think the better transport links to Homebush may actually encourage more people to go. They will probably lose a bit of their die-hard supporters but I can see them picking up a lot more casual support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.