Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Footie Or Soccer?

Footie Or Soccer?

Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

wesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nice
Default Footie Or Soccer?

Hi all,

Hoping to move to Perth next year and me and OH were talking last night at how it would be nice idea for him to carry on playing or start up his own kids footie/soccer team?

OH only plays on a Saturday afternoon for a local team, does this sort of thing go on down there?

Thought starting up a kids team would be a great way to meet people or definitely put my son into a team if there is one?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Jo
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:18 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Footie Or Soccer?

Originally Posted by wesleyandjoanne
Hi all,

Hoping to move to Perth next year and me and OH were talking last night at how it would be nice idea for him to carry on playing or start up his own kids footie/soccer team?

OH only plays on a Saturday afternoon for a local team, does this sort of thing go on down there?

Thought starting up a kids team would be a great way to meet people or definitely put my son into a team if there is one?

Jo
not in perth but soccer is the most participated in sport in oz. beats all the other codes.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

wesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nicewesleyandjoanne is just really nice

Originally Posted by youngy73
not in perth but soccer is the most participated in sport in oz. beats all the other codes.
Thanks , did you mean no one plays soccer in perth? What about kids teams?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:38 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks , did you mean no one plays soccer in perth? What about kids teams?
no i meant im not in perth. im in cairns. i played a season of A grade and now play socially in an over 35's team. its massive with the kids here but can get pricey. $170 a year for the kids here plus all the other stuff that goes with it. 2 hr drives to games, kit, boots, the list goes on.my local ground has something happening every night of the week mon to fri. then games every sat and sun.leagues to suit all. pretty much the same when i lived in sydney and i think its the same everywhere else from people ive spoken with.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by youngy73
no i meant im not in perth. im in cairns. i played a season of A grade and now play socially in an over 35's team. its massive with the kids here but can get pricey. $170 a year for the kids here plus all the other stuff that goes with it. 2 hr drives to games, kit, boots, the list goes on.my local ground has something happening every night of the week mon to fri. then games every sat and sun.leagues to suit all. pretty much the same when i lived in sydney and i think its the same everywhere else from people ive spoken with.
oops re-read your first reply, makes sense your not in perth - sorry

My son is only 14 months old, but it's something we are keen to get involved with. My dad ran a local sunday kids side for years and I can remember trekking to all the matches, freezing my bits off during the winter. Guess I won't have that problem in Oz.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

electricbaby27 will become famous soon enoughelectricbaby27 will become famous soon enough

oops re-read your first reply, makes sense your not in perth - sorry

My son is only 14 months old, but it's something we are keen to get involved with. My dad ran a local sunday kids side for years and I can remember trekking to all the matches, freezing my bits off during the winter. Guess I won't have that problem in Oz.
Hi Wesley and Joanne
Football is big where we are in Nsw but they tend to call it soccer which they are not supposed to be doing now! My 2 kids are both playing in a team as well as my OH!!! It is really organised, they have canteens on site so I just sit and put my feet up
They have mixed teams though, so my nine yrold girl now plays on a full size pitch with boys
Its a really good way of getting to know people too, as there are loads of social events and everyone has to muck in with running the canteen and stuff
. The other parents have been really friendly, offering loads of kit and lifts to games.My Oh has ended up coaching my sons under 7 side! and my female friend is the manager!!
They are also good at picking out talent, these kids get to represent the area and get an expert coach, there is a lot of travelling with this though, as it usually means going away for the W/E. My daughter is having a trail with the representative team and we have been really impressed so far.
So in answer to your question, get involved its a great way of meeting people.
I notice you live in Harlow? I did my midwifery training at the princess Alexandra.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:45 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Jo
I'm in Perth and YES there are lots of footy clubs/teams for adults and kids.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by electricbaby27
Hi Wesley and Joanne
Football is big where we are in Nsw but they tend to call it soccer which they are not supposed to be doing now! My 2 kids are both playing in a team as well as my OH!!! It is really organised, they have canteens on site so I just sit and put my feet up
They have mixed teams though, so my nine yrold girl now plays on a full size pitch with boys
Its a really good way of getting to know people too, as there are loads of social events and everyone has to muck in with running the canteen and stuff
. The other parents have been really friendly, offering loads of kit and lifts to games.My Oh has ended up coaching my sons under 7 side! and my female friend is the manager!!
They are also good at picking out talent, these kids get to represent the area and get an expert coach, there is a lot of travelling with this though, as it usually means going away for the W/E. My daughter is having a trail with the representative team and we have been really impressed so far.
So in answer to your question, get involved its a great way of meeting people.
I notice you live in Harlow? I did my midwifery training at the princess Alexandra.

Now you know why I want to move!! Don't really want to raise a family in Harlow, it's ok, but not the nicest place to live. Where did you live??

thanks for the info, am looking forward to joining in and getting out there meeting people.

Jo
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulrachel
I'm in Perth and YES there are lots of footy clubs/teams for adults and kids.
Thanks