Football/Soccer in Sydney

Football/Soccer in Sydney

Old Jul 24th 2013, 2:30 am
Just Joined

ALI_MAC69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Football/Soccer in Sydney

Eugh, God I hate writing the word soccer! ha

Anyway, hi there!

I've just landed in Sydney and am looking to join a 'soccer' team over here to train and play. I've been managing men's teams for the the past 5 seasons in the UK, and am also a qualified FA Coach.

At the age of 38 I can still play against the youngsters, though I'm a nippy left winger at over 35's veterans level! ha

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Alister
Old Jul 24th 2013, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football/Soccer in Sydney

Originally Posted by ALI_MAC69

Anyway, hi there!

I've just landed in Sydney and am looking to join a 'soccer' team over here to train and play. I've been managing men's teams for the the past 5 seasons in the UK, and am also a qualified FA Coach.

At the age of 38 I can still play against the youngsters, though I'm a nippy left winger at over 35's veterans level! ha

Thanks a lot

Alister
Where are you based?

I had the same aspirations as you when I landed in Oz a few years ago, unfortunately I joined a touch rugby team and sustained a weeknight warrior, late 30's injury, that's pretty much put me out of either football or rugby forever.

Enough of my woes.

I often go for a little walk around Queens Park and Centennial Park on a Saturday or Sunday, lots of us old blokes, playing, shouting in foreign accents, nipping up the wing, pulling hamstrings, and generally getting a good excuse to be out of the house.

These guys might be able to help

http://www.qpfc.org/home/
Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Nice one Beoz.

Ive sent QPFC a message, and could well be up for a waddle around next weekend as I'm out of town this weekend. How do I contact you to find out times etc.

I've just joined a group to play with on Monday evening (jumpers for goalposts I presume), but am interested in joining an actual football club too.

Ps Touch rugby?! What were you thinking! ha ha
Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Beoz.

Ive sent QPFC a message, and could well be up for a waddle around next weekend as I'm out of town this weekend. How do I contact you to find out times etc.

I've just joined a group to play with on Monday evening (jumpers for goalposts I presume), but am interested in joining an actual football club too.

Ps Touch rugby?! What were you thinking! ha ha
I have no involvement with Queens Park. It's just that I see a lot of these old fellas, my vintage, gracing the paddocks on a Saturday or Sunday when I go for a little bike ride or run. I get major "fear of missing out".

Yeah touch rugby .... I like(d) it especially for a little week night fitness action. Unfortunately at our age, if you leg it from work, get changed in the car, and land on the pitch just in time for kick off without preparation, injuries can and are terminal.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Another contender cut down in his prime. Sad times
Old Jul 24th 2013, 11:36 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

My other half plays for St Pats in Sutherland and they seem like a pretty good club. There are various different teams, he's currently on the all ages team (not sure what he was thinking because he's 40!) but i think he'll move to the over 35's next season. Let me know if you'd like a contact for the club
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RedT
My other half plays for St Pats in Sutherland and they seem like a pretty good club. There are various different teams, he's currently on the all ages team (not sure what he was thinking because he's 40!) but i think he'll move to the over 35's next season. Let me know if you'd like a contact for the club
Hi RedT and thanks for replying.

That's a bit far away from where I'm staying, so the travel would be a killer.

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:47 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, hope you find something suitable
Old Jul 26th 2013, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, hi there!

Thanks a lot

Alister
My husband plays in an over 35 team (5 a side) in Manly on a Monday night. They won the Northern beaches league last year but are struggling a little this year (I think) and always looking for new players. Let me know if you are interested and I will put you in touch.

It is fine to say football btw. The league is expats and so they all say football.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Have you said where you are based yet? If you are around the Northern beaches then check out the Manly Warringah FA website. Plenty of links to the clubs there. The winter 11 a side comp is almost finished for this season, but there are smaller sided comps all year round I believe.

If you want to coach/play 11 a side might be worth contacting some of the clubs before next season (starts March 2014). Good luck.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply guys. I may be based up in Manly as of September, so will look into this near the time. I've found a group of guys who play every week in Double Bay, so will crack on with them for the time being.

Thanks for all your suggestions