Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Football - The A-League - Worth watching?

Wikiposts

Football - The A-League - Worth watching?

Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football - The A-League - Worth watching?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
check your PM's ta fraser

Eddie C
You lot from Melbourne may well be in with a better chance for this weeks game as rumours this side of the pond are that KEANO is trying to poach Dwight Yorke for the Heroes today before transfer deadline !!! Just rumours though may i add !! good luck for the match
Old Aug 30th 2006, 10:49 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Dwight Yorke to be playing in the first division next season, still it's a move up from the A-League.

Mind you he'll be playing in a half empty stadium.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 4:53 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig822
Oh great!, trust me to pick the wrong side of the chuffin' country
Until a couple of years ago Perth had the best team most years. Unfortunately they failed to step up with everyone else last year when the A League started and got left behind. Then the owner decided he had had enough and tried to sell the franchise. No one bought it so the FFA are running it for the time being. The main problem with that is that the coach and 3/4's of the staff weren't apponited until a few weeks before this season started. The good news is they have salary caps & squad limits, the FFA has a unofficial policy of one ex-Soccceroo per team etc which keeps a fairly level playing field. So there is every reason to believe the Glory will be a force again next year.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:03 pm
Banned

MD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud ofMD09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Craig822
Guys

I'm a bit of a football fan, not a fanatic I hasten to add, and with the A-League kicking off this past week-end I wondered what you thought of the standard. Is it worth watching? or does it compare to some lowly English League? Please bear in mind that I'm a Huddersfield Town fan so I'm not used to the highest of standards anyway.

Anybody go along and watch? grateful for any views.

Regards

As a wise Irishman once told me - catholicism throughout the world is _the_ only religion, everything else is null and void. Fair call.

The same applies here to rugby league. Hence why soccer will never take off. Heck we can't even call it by it's proper name.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Dwight Yorke to be playing in the first division next season, still it's a move up from the A-League.

Mind you he'll be playing in a half empty stadium.
Fortunately it does'nt take much for sunderland fans to think they've got a good team so with a bit of luck and a few Keano points it should fill up nicely .Shame you'e not a hammer now as theyve just bought a couple of cracking Argies and things could go well !!!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:19 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Fortunately it does'nt take much for sunderland fans to think they've got a good team so with a bit of luck and a few Keano points it should fill up nicely .Shame you'e not a hammer now as theyve just bought a couple of cracking Argies and things could go well !!!
Only two of the best players in the world, one who'll maybe become the best
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Only two of the best players in the world, one who'll maybe become the best
we can only hope he doesn't turn out like their other greatest footballer "THE HAND OF GOD" !!!! A F*****G BIG CHEAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
we can only hope he doesn't turn out like their other greatest footballer "THE HAND OF GOD" !!!! A F*****G BIG CHEAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear me talk about holding a grudge. Have to say Maradonna was a fantastic footballer, shame many people only remember him for one incident. Once seen him play for Barca, he was an amazing player best I've ever seen...
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Dear me talk about holding a grudge. Have to say Maradonna was a fantastic footballer, shame many people only remember him for one incident. Once seen him play for Barca, he was an amazing player best I've ever seen...
Well it did have a wee bit of bearing on the outcome of the game !!!!!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:46 am

Tevez

I've been up all night watching this and I have to go and unload containers
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Just back from Melbourne Victory v Sydney City. Broke the Australian attendance record for a real football league game today. 39,758. Close enough to 40,000 people. Game was entertaining enough, Enthusiatic slightly naive crowd, lots of chat around about "whats happening here and what was that about" however the supporters got behind their 14month old team.

Interesting game in as much, as the players seem to have a great variation in ability, with a few players being pretty damn good, and some being awful, Darren Allsop shone today.... Archie thompson didn't. An ok Kevin Muscat would have been typical of the level of play. So not to bad and not to good.

Oh the score 3-2 to Melbourne. Sydney having ten men on the park just about deserved a draw.

Entertaining enough to get my wife and kids to go again, and indicitive of whats to come in the future. They will be playing these games in front of huge crowds at the 'G' within 10 years.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 2nd 2006 at 12:37 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 1:10 am

Mate I watched the game it was toilet.

The first goal should have been disallowed, the penalty wasn't a penalty.

The sending off he won the ball for the yellow the straight red was warranted.

The victory player should have gone.

oh and sydney looked like the better team.

mate you've been in the wilderness too long
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 3:09 am
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

Gutted for Sydney - i had a season ticket last year. To be honest the standard of play wasn't that great so i didn't bother renewing this time around. Being a Forest fan, I'm used to watching crap recently.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Mate I watched the game it was toilet.

The first goal should have been disallowed, the penalty wasn't a penalty.

The sending off he won the ball for the yellow the straight red was warranted.

The victory player should have gone.

oh and sydney looked like the better team.

mate you've been in the wilderness too long

I'm determined after 26 years to look at the positives... I've seen some of the previous games.... Non A league.... played here on tv.... I can tell you this is infinitely better.

I agree Sydney were the better team.

The best thing about this it was decent meaningful competion. I'm sure it will improve.

Like i said some of the players were awful, some of the play was also awful. I did see some good play as well though and thats what I'm taking away with me. Thats because it's better than the 26 year void I've been through.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 2nd 2006 at 12:44 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm determined after 26 years to look at the positives... I've seen some of the previous games.... Non A league.... played here on tv.... I can tell you this is infinitely better.

I agree Sydney were the better team.

The best thing about this it was decent meaningful competion. I'm sure it will improve.

Like i said some of the players were awful, some of the play was also awful. I did see some good play as well though and thats what I'm taking away with me. Thats because it's better than the 26 year void I've been through.

Mate I'm glad you enjoyed it

I'm looking forward to the Argentina game tonight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.