The football

Old Jun 6th 2003, 11:59 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default The football

I am surprised to find no mention on this forum of the upcoming rugby tour. For those who didn't know England are in NZ and play 2 games there before playing Oz a week later, all as warm up for the World Cup later this year.

For likely immigrants this is all very important stuff to know, as you may have gathered us kiwis and them aussies are a bit tied up in our sports. There is also a bit of bad blood over where the World Cup is being held, so a NZ vs Oz final would be a great outcome.

Anyway, I'm sure there are a few rugby supporters out there, and also a few kiwis and aussies who log in for a bit of a laugh. So I'm asking - what are the chances of England winning a game this time around (their last tour 5-6 years ago was a terrible whitewash).

FYI, the games are all live on UK SKY TV:
vs Maoris next Monday 8.15am
vs ABs following Saturday 7.30am
vs Oz sometime the following weekend

On reflection I think the poms might beat the Aussies, as the injuries have been mounting for them. But they will lose to the 2 NZ sides.

I have to hand it to Jonny Wilkinson - I did not expect him to put his fitness so on the line in a World Cup year. He will be such a big target for the AB flankers, and will need some serious minders to look after him on the field (and somebody a bit bigger than Neil Back too)! If he gets injured then any benefit England get from touring will go straight out the door.

PS I was joking about anybody deliberately trying to injure somebody, we all know that wouldn't happen - would it?

PSS For all those who saw the title to this thread and thought I was going to discuss the merits of Beckhams or Wengers move to Europe, you need to get a bit more with it. Football (or footy) is whichever game is dominant in a particular place. In NZ it is rugby of course, in Queensland or NSW it is rugby league, in Melbourne it is Rules, and in Perth...I don't know what it is in Perth. I think they are bit time players at all things, although I recall they have a decent Rules team. Get used to the term Soccer, which is a bit of a poor cousin compared to the other sports on offer.

But don't worry too much, as you can watch the premiership on Sky TV down under, and there are more an more kids playing Soccer these days too.

Actually, now I recall why there is no talk of any sport on these pages. Even the Soceroos beat the England soccer team recently, and then the lowly All Whites (the kiwi soccer team) drew with the Scottish team - not such a great feat I know, but better than the last time when they beat us in the World Cup finals in 82.
Old Jun 6th 2003, 12:21 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Right....now im not too keen on football, but i do know that the socceroos probably only beat england because of the team that was played... i don't think there were many with more than one cap playing!

As for the rugby, England stand a very good chance. Its been an excellent season, have a look at these results.

30 Mar 2003 England vs Ireland 42-6 Dublin (Lansdow Available
22 Mar 2003 England vs Scotland 40-9 London (Twicken Available
09 Mar 2003 England vs Italy 40-5 London (Twicken Available
22 Feb 2003 England vs Wales 26-9 Cardiff (Millen Available
15 Feb 2003 England vs France 25-17 London (Twicken Available
23 Nov 2002 England vs South Africa 53-3 London (Twicken Available
16 Nov 2002 England vs Australia 32-31 London (Twicken Available
09 Nov 2002 England vs New Zealand 31-28 London (Twicken Available
22 Jun 2002 England vs Argentina 26-18 Buenos Aires (V Available
07 Apr 2002 England vs Italy 45-9 Rome (Stadio Fl Available
23 Mar 2002 England vs Wales 50-10 London (Twicken Available
02 Mar 2002 England vs France 15-20 Paris (Stade de Available
16 Feb 2002 England vs Ireland 45-11 London (Twicken Available
02 Feb 2002 England vs Scotland 29-3 Edinburgh (Murr Available
24 Nov 2001 England vs South Africa 29-9 London (Twicken Available
17 Nov 2001 England vs Romania 134-0 London (Twicken Available
10 Nov 2001 England vs Australia 21-15 London (Twicken Available
20 Oct 2001 England vs Ireland 14-20 Dublin (Lansdow Available
16 Jun 2001 England vs United States 48-19 San Francisco Available
09 Jun 2001 England vs Canada 59-20 Burnaby Available
02 Jun 2001 England vs Canada 22-10 Markham Available
07 Apr 2001 England vs France 48-19 London (Twicken Available
03 Mar 2001 England vs Scotland 43-3 London (Twicken Available
17 Feb 2001 England vs Italy 80-23 London (Twicken Available
03 Feb 2001 England vs Wales 44-15 Cardiff (Millen Available

Looks like england beat both oz and nz ? And england did'nt loose one game in the past season.

Compare that to nz....who have losses and draws all over the shop. 20-20 v france, 14-16 v aus, 28-31 v eng to name but a few.

It will be an interesting tour.....

Pete.
Old Jun 6th 2003, 12:32 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed it will be very interesting which was why I was surprised it had not yet been mentioned. And I agree the soccer is not my cup of tea either.

And England lost just 2 weeks ago to the Barbarians, but maybe you missed that in your travels.

I won't get into the fortress Twickenham vs playing in the big world argument - its too easy for me.

Good luck all the same - and I do hope Jonny Wilkinson can get to the Cup, because I don't want you guys to have any excuses.
Old Jun 6th 2003, 1:20 pm
Badge

Originally posted by badgersmount
OK I love rugby myself. Remember soccer is the biggest *participation* game in Australia. Not that I give a stuff!!

It s quite true - this tour is being seen as a pre-World Cup test. Last chance to get the World Cup team sorted.

Last chance to know England can win down South away from Twickenham in their current form. It's been years since the 1998 tour from Hell.

I will be continuing to support the English *team*. It's not an national thing, just because I have followed the fortunes of this side for 6 years.

badgers

PS Most fans agree if we can win one game from 3 then it will be a success. There's talk of hard ground etc but Woodward has kept the grass short at Twickers especially for this reason.

My team - backs any way

15 Lewsey
14 Robinson
13 Greenwood
12 Noon
11 Cohen
10 The kid
9 Dawson

I thinK Moody and the likes of Forrester should play etc.

Old Jun 6th 2003, 3:07 pm
Here in Dunedin

Not a bad backline youv'e picked. I agree Robinson should not be at the back - the best teams will expose him, and not give him the ball without a wall of defense at the same time.

I didn't see Noon play last week. Hope he is good enough for this level. The ABs in particular are likely to pack the midfield with very hard runners - Tana Umaga may be joined by his clone Nonu.

The NZ fullback (MacDonald) has withdrawn from the test team. Interesting to see whether Howlett is moved to the back with a new young buck on the wing, or whether they bring back Cullen. Most kiwis would back the later, but the coach I think has different ideas.

The AB captain is also controversial. Thorne has been quiet all season, and other blindside flankers have generally outshone him.