Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A foot in either country?

A foot in either country?

Old May 16th 2011, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of
Default A foot in either country?

I'm trying to buy a lawnmower online and have it delivered to my tenants in the UK (old lawnmower is kaput). They work and want it delivered on a saturday and although we have UK bank cards and credit cards they are registered in Oz so these two factors narrow down where I can buy from. The letting agents have offered to take it in at their office but delivery hours seem to be either too late or too early.

What I really need is a friend or relative to go and buy one and take it round to the tenants but the people I'd normally ask have too much on their plate already.

Am I crazy having a foot in either country? Mabye I should sell even though the market's poor? What does everyone else do when they need help in the UK but there's noone to ask?
Old May 16th 2011, 4:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A foot in either country?

Originally Posted by carzinoz
I'm trying to buy a lawnmower online and have it delivered to my tenants in the UK (old lawnmower is kaput). They work and want it delivered on a saturday and although we have UK bank cards and credit cards they are registered in Oz so these two factors narrow down where I can buy from. The letting agents have offered to take it in at their office but delivery hours seem to be either too late or too early.

What I really need is a friend or relative to go and buy one and take it round to the tenants but the people I'd normally ask have too much on their plate already.

Am I crazy having a foot in either country? Mabye I should sell even though the market's poor? What does everyone else do when they need help in the UK but there's noone to ask?
Can't the letting agent buy it on your behalf? It's not like they're doing much for the money you're paying them.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:12 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't believe you have to supply a lawnmower in the first place.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Well there is that......
Old May 16th 2011, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

No. You're diversifying your investments and there's no reason to loose sight of that over a mower. This is something your agent should do. You've seen a mower, are in a position to transfer funds to the agent, you pay them to look after the place. Get them to buy it and sort out.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

You'd have to ask yourself what you're looking to get out of continuing to won your property in the UK. Is it likely to make money or are you just keeping it for security? If the latter, then you may have to accept some hassles and costs. Just the same as the former really except when it's an investment you expect to be compensated for costs, hassles and risks. If it's purelay an investment and it's not making money then you have to decide when to cut your losses.
I know, my landlord just pays someone to come do it! He brings his own gear, I'm assuming, I don't pay much attention.

Last edited by Steve2009; May 16th 2011 at 8:57 am.
Old May 16th 2011, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

The norm round our way is to rent out properties fully furnished and if the property includes a garden the contract will say the tenants have to maintain it and it's usual to include some basic tools to keep it in hand within the inventory. Just like leaving a vacuum....oops!, I propably shouldn't have done that either

The letting agents are a hopeless shower verging on professionally incompetant but I've never met anyone with a good word to say about letting agents and mine aren't the worst I've heard of.

I'll see if I can find a copy of my contract with them, I agree that they should be doing this as I'm paying for a full factoring service but getting them to agree is another matter.

It is making money but If the market and exchange rate weren't so dire I'd happily sell there and buy here. I'd like nothing better than to have my own place but what can you do, I'm sure heaps of people are in this situation.