Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Food Shopping In Perth

Food Shopping In Perth

Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Food Shopping In Perth

With all of the complaints about Coles/Woolworths etc can anyone suggest a decent place to buy fresh food in Perth? I have tried the Wanneroo markets for fruit and veg and they aren't bad but cannot find anywhere to get meat at a sensible price. I have heard that there are 24 hour fruit and veg markets closer to town but cannot remember where they were, anyone know?

Any ideas?
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:48 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food Shopping In Perth

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
With all of the complaints about Coles/Woolworths etc can anyone suggest a decent place to buy fresh food in Perth? I have tried the Wanneroo markets for fruit and veg and they aren't bad but cannot find anywhere to get meat at a sensible price. I have heard that there are 24 hour fruit and veg markets closer to town but cannot remember where they were, anyone know?

Any ideas?

I think those markets you thinking of are down in canning vale, which is bloody miles away. Wanneroo markets are shit in my opinion, cheap maybe but the quality is not that good and therefore doesnt last long.

Meat we go to the butchers up at Whitfords when we can, seems good price and excellent quality.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Wanneroo markets are shit in my opinion, cheap maybe but the quality is not that good and therefore doesnt last long.
I'm glad it isn't just me that thinks that, loads of people rave about the place but I thought it was pretty poor. Loads of stuff looked like it was pretty much rotten already.

Meat we go to the butchers up at Whitfords when we can, seems good price and excellent quality.
I'll give that a shot today
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad it isn't just me that thinks that, loads of people rave about the place but I thought it was pretty poor. Loads of stuff looked like it was pretty much rotten already.

I'll give that a shot today
Yeah, we have stopped going to Waneroo, you have to be so careful what you get and we don't have the time to sift through the crap now! I just get my veggies from the store in Lakeside outside Coles, when you factor in the petrol saving it's probably comparable anyhow.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I think those markets you thinking of are down in canning vale, which is bloody miles away. Wanneroo markets are shit in my opinion, cheap maybe but the quality is not that good and therefore doesnt last long.

I was down at wanneroo markets today and have to say I totally disagree that the produce was not fresh - I bought a HUGE punnett of strawberries for 1.50 and they are juicy and fresh - definately much better quality then coles and woolies - I was getting really tired of seeing s*** fuit and veg in there and paying double what I paid today.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

A few weeks ago some posts were raving about Star of the North butchers in Currambine.

I don't know about their prices (not there yet!!) but might be worth a look. I remember they've got a website.

You might know it already as you are in Connolly but it was just a thought.

Suzy x
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hersdmans Fresh, Herdsman Parade, Wembley has excellent fresh fruit and veg.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:44 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Larissa
Yeah, we have stopped going to Waneroo, you have to be so careful what you get and we don't have the time to sift through the crap now! I just get my veggies from the store in Lakeside outside Coles, when you factor in the petrol saving it's probably comparable anyhow.
Lol...Lennards! That's where we go!

Coles first, then Lennards. They do seem to have quite a good choice of meat there, and they often have a few cooked bits for you to try first, as well.

Steve
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:47 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SteveBannister
Lol...Lennards! That's where we go!

Coles first, then Lennards. They do seem to have quite a good choice of meat there, and they often have a few cooked bits for you to try first, as well.

Steve
Just for a bit of variety, we do the veggie shop first, then Lennards, then Coles!! Sometimes, just to be daring, I do it in reverse, makes for a bit of excitement to the old routine!

I don't get time to go to the markets at Waneroo at the mo. I miss the flowers though. I'd get a lovely bunch of lilies for $5. Coles charge a fortune for flowers.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

capacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to allcapacity is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Hersdmans Fresh, Herdsman Parade, Wembley has excellent fresh fruit and veg.

i totally agree - used to shop there all the time when we lived in churchlands but then used to wonder where all my pay had gone come a monday!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

I use Star of the North Butchers in Currambine all the time and think they are pretty good. Suasages average, but then we got in the UK from a farm shop which made about 40 varieties so nothing will top that.

Carine shopping centre is supposed to be good for gourmet food shopping (this from my Danish friend who has been here 15 years).
Old Nov 6th 2005, 4:10 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Perth has got the worst supermarkets in the whole of Australasia
Old Nov 6th 2005, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jib
Perth has got the worst supermarkets in the whole of Australasia
Definitely, we noticed that the shopping was much better on the west coast, still we moved here so we would spend less time shopping and spending money!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:57 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?
We were there in April this year and I remember one of the shed markets in the close vicinity of Freo prison having some amazing fresh produce!
Old Nov 6th 2005, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Any ideas?

best meat dept by far is at David Jones in city, yes maybe bit more expensive but you always get what you pay for with food. You can get decent in the supermarkets just be selective what you chose!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.