Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Food shopping in Australia (WA)

Food shopping in Australia (WA)

Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Food shopping in Australia (WA)

Hi all,

There seems to be this awareness about how much food is costing over here in Australia.

We want to start budgeting on our food and being much more careful rather than just filling the trolley if it takes our fancy.

Has anyone got any tips on how to keep shopping bills down in Oz and also what sort of budget you could shop on for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 little ones but they eat more than us!!).

Thanks

Poppetuk
Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:53 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Food shopping in Australia (WA)

There was a thread about shopping on here recently and people's spending varied wildly so I don't know how helpful it would be for your planning.

We (family of three) spend less than we did in the UK on shopping. I find that there are fewer temptations here in the way of ready meals and the like so we buy more "real" food, which is both healthier and more economical. Prices vary wildly between shops though. I was in a store tonight that was flogging quiches for $19 each. $19!!!! (Sorry - not trying to scare you off. That is very expensive for here.)
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

JPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to all

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
There was a thread about shopping on here recently and people's spending varied wildly so I don't know how helpful it would be for your planning.

We (family of three) spend less than we did in the UK on shopping. I find that there are fewer temptations here in the way of ready meals and the like so we buy more "real" food, which is both healthier and more economical. Prices vary wildly between shops though. I was in a store tonight that was flogging quiches for $19 each. $19!!!! (Sorry - not trying to scare you off. That is very expensive for here.)
$19 for a quiche, thats expensive. ws it made with truffles
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:33 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JPSUPERHOOPER
$19 for a quiche, thats expensive. ws it made with truffles
Looked like cheese and veg to me.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 2:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Looked like cheese and veg to me.
Probably lettuce, that'd acocunt for the price
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:39 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi all,

There seems to be this awareness about how much food is costing over here in Australia.

We want to start budgeting on our food and being much more careful rather than just filling the trolley if it takes our fancy.

Has anyone got any tips on how to keep shopping bills down in Oz and also what sort of budget you could shop on for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 little ones but they eat more than us!!).

Thanks

Poppetuk
Your shopping bill will be alot less without trying too hard-ours is about half of what is was in UK as there's nothing much that takes our fancy

Wave goodbye to the delights of Sainsbury, Ocado, M&S etc..& start shopping at Co-op to aclimatise yourself!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Apparently Aldi supermarkets are significantly cheaper, but not everyone likes what they have to offer, or don't have to offer. Woolworths is at the upper end price wise and Coles is cheaper than W but not as cheap as Aldi.

I think it's an individual thing depending on how much convenience food you buy. If you want to save make a list and stick to it and try planning meals ahead, if you can be that organised. I think you crave less stodge in a warm climate, so that's a plus.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

I recently did an experiment of putting my exact Oz shopping content receipt through my old Tesco direct account and it worked out way cheaper to do my food shopping in WA.

WA doesn't have Aldi btw.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

spud shed and farmers markets
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:05 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

bread's bloody expensive
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi all,

Thanks

Poppetuk
In the UK i spent about 130pounds a week on food for 5 of us. Here in OZ i spend $300-350 a week on 4 of us. No frills either, just your basics.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a poll I did recently: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=shopping+bill
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

My tip is shop around, we use more than one shop for the shopping. Can be pain going to several shops but works out cheaper.

Eg we find Coles always have better offers on Cereal, and offer is usually
750g box. But Woolworths cereal offers tend to be only 450g for the same price as Woolies 750g offer.

Look through the leaflets and find all the offers eg, you can save $2 off cheese by getting it on offer. We have found that IGA,Coles or Woolies will have it on offer then next week the other store will.

Gems
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Angelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Your shopping bill will be alot less without trying too hard-ours is about half of what is was in UK as there's nothing much that takes our fancy

Wave goodbye to the delights of Sainsbury, Ocado, M&S etc..& start shopping at Co-op to aclimatise yourself!
Thats just SO funny(made me laugh out loud) because its SO true!!!! Spot on
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:26 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks

Poppetuk
yep, here's some tips....try not to buy any fruit, veg, fish or meat from the major supermarkets (unless its on sale and its a good deal). Just buy it from the butchers, the fruit&veg markets and the fish monger. More often than not, you'll find that you are buying better quality produce, yet paying maybe 25% to 75% of supermarket retail price.

Also, keep an eye on the "specials" catalogues and buy non-perishables when they are on sale. I thought this was a ridiculous thing to do when I first moved here (why stock up on stuff that you don't need right now?!) but my wife always does it. Took me a while to figure out that you do save a fair bit over time, by doing this....

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.