Wikiposts

Food Colouring

Old Mar 11th 2004, 7:36 pm
Goodpubmisser

In Australia here are many food additives that are banned elsewhere in the developed world. This is because additives and colouring in food is the responsibility of each State and they do not co-operate with each other.

The States in Australia usually underfund any department that does any good as they prefer to pay large sums to useless departments. For example I once visited a company in Melbourne that was producing office files. This company had won the Victorian prize for export.

The company was freezing cold with workers (mainly first generation migrants), sitting around in two jumpers, a bobble hat etc. Almost every time I asked to see someone I was told "He is off sick".

After leaving the company I telephoned the department responsible for OH&S factory inspections and asked them why they did not make the management put in heating. They replied that probably their Inspectors had been to the company in summer and so had not noticed the lack of heating and that due to their limitted resources they only would visit a factory once every three years.

I also visited a company who advertised that they did cadmium barrel plating on their business cards situated near to some houses. I asked them "You don't really do cadmium barrel plating do you, I don't see any tanks for the waste". They said "No the council stopped us from doing it 6 months ago as they did not like what we were tipping into the drains".

Waste from the drains may get into the drinking water and cadmium is a highly toxic chemical the use of which is very carefully controlled in the developed world and special tanks and disposal methods are used.

Old Mar 11th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Goodpubmisser - tell us where it was so we dont move there:scared:
Old Mar 11th 2004, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
In Australia here are many food additives that are banned elsewhere in the developed world. This is because additives and colouring in food is the responsibility of each State and they do not co-operate with each other.

The States in Australia usually underfund any department that does any good as they prefer to pay large sums to useless departments. For example I once visited a company in Melbourne that was producing office files. This company had won the Victorian prize for export.

The company was freezing cold with workers (mainly first generation migrants), sitting around in two jumpers, a bobble hat etc. Almost every time I asked to see someone I was told "He is off sick".

After leaving the company I telephoned the department responsible for OH&S factory inspections and asked them why they did not make the management put in heating. They replied that probably their Inspectors had been to the company in summer and so had not noticed the lack of heating and that due to their limitted resources they only would visit a factory once every three years.

I also visited a company who advertised that they did cadmium barrel plating on their business cards situated near to some houses. I asked them "You don't really do cadmium barrel plating do you, I don't see any tanks for the waste". They said "No the council stopped us from doing it 6 months ago as they did not like what we were tipping into the drains".

Waste from the drains may get into the drinking water and cadmium is a highly toxic chemical the use of which is very carefully controlled in the developed world and special tanks and disposal methods are used.
Yes I am sure this happens all the time
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:03 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food Colouring

Originally posted by debsy
I know I keep going on about this but is there legislation in Australia about the use of colouring in food? I have never seen such brightly coloured food and drink. The fanta was bright orange and I noticed they used lots of blue colouring! These brightly coloured foods are very attractive to children but when my youngest has something with the blue colour in it she is so fast she would probably win a gold medal at the Olympics!!

We couldnt get over the bright orange colour of the fanta at the fast food take aways in nz. We got a McDonald enroute at L.A. airport and even the kids commented on the colour.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:18 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MeganEkno
Yes I am sure this happens all the time
There is a constant battle going on between processors and regulatory authorities over "Trade Waste". The standards are regularly tightened. Generally companies comply sufficiently that the issue does not surface publically. There are occassional "feral" processors and "hit and run" illegal dumpers that make it to the news.

Trade Waste
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by sky
We couldnt get over the bright orange colour of the fanta at the fast food take aways in nz. We got a McDonald enroute at L.A. airport and even the kids commented on the colour.
Sky was it almost Fluorescent?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:23 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Sky was it almost Fluorescent?
Yes lol needed shades to look at it
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:25 pm
ABCDiamond

OMG:scared: I used to watch that when I was a kid:scared: OOh lets start a nostalgic thread about old UK Tv programmes that you can get ib oz
Dr Who is back on.

Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:27 pm
sky
Banned

Not good for my 4yr old he is hyperactive already, one sip of the stuff over here an there would be no living with him
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Larissa
ooohhh... Dotty can be Margo, Debs can be Barbara and Tom can be Badgersmount.... hmmm who shall we have for Gerry?
ABC
Hmmm..

Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:38 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
Even Fruit and veg here is allowed to be dyed, apples and oranges have food colour to "enhance" them. By the colours of carrots and corn I think theres something going on in few veg too.
That is the tricky part, a pack of biscuits is going to state food colouring even if its just by a number, but what about fruit?

We grow a lot of veg here when its not too hot, but I can honestly say the normal colours of veg grown with just aussie sun and rain are nothing like the vivid colours in the shop stuff.
Far as I know apples and oranges are only waxed to reduce moisture loss and reduce mold spoilage rates. An un-waxed apple loses its crispness after just a few days.

Fertilise your veggie patch for healthier, better looking and tasting veggies - water soluble AquaSol or similar is good.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by sky
Not good for my 4yr old he is hyperactive already, one sip of the stuff over here an there would be no living with him
Sky - dont give him on the donuts from the donut king with the blue icing then!!:scared: We couldnt catch my daughter after one of those
Old Mar 11th 2004, 9:57 pm
sky
Banned

Will watch out for them and avoid like the plague :scared:
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Far as I know apples and oranges are only waxed to reduce moisture loss and reduce mold spoilage rates. An un-waxed apple loses its crispness after just a few days.
Post-harvest they may be waxed but fruits are treated throughout the growing season with all kinds of chemicals and hormones - pesticides, growth hormones, colourants, etc etc. You only have to compare an organic capsicum with a non-organic one to see how much growth hormone is added to our fruit and veg these days. Many fruits are gas-treated to prolong shelf life, as well as waxed.

Does anyone remember last summer in Oz there was an 'orange' war? Aussie orange growers were losing their market share to US imports. Safeway, Coles, etc got slated for buying US oranges in preference to Aussie ones. Their reasoning was that the US looked better and were more appealing to the consumer. The US oranges were large, round and very orange in colour. In comparison, the Aussie ones were smaller and their skins were tinged with green. The green tinging turned out to be a natural sunscreen. They took cameras out on the streets and surveyed the public - sure enough, the public picked the US oranges on looks alone. When it came down to the taste test, however, the Aussie oranges won - the US oranges just looked nice and that was why people bought them - no matter that they were treated very heavily with chemicals. I'm not suprised growers have resorted to adding food colourings if sales are based on aesthetics more than taste.

My sister is a fruit grower in Sunraysia region - she tells me I wouldn't eat her produce if I "saw the s**t that was sprayed on it". The growth hormone they use doubles the size of the grapes....because that's what the Asian marketeers want.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:56 pm
Banned

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Post-harvest they may be waxed but fruits are treated throughout the growing season with all kinds of chemicals and hormones - pesticides, growth hormones, colourants, etc etc. You only have to compare an organic capsicum with a non-organic one to see how much growth hormone is added to our fruit and veg these days. Many fruits are gas-treated to prolong shelf life, as well as waxed.

Does anyone remember last summer in Oz there was an 'orange' war? Aussie orange growers were losing their market share to US imports. Safeway, Coles, etc got slated for buying US oranges in preference to Aussie ones. Their reasoning was that the US looked better and were more appealing to the consumer. The US oranges were large, round and very orange in colour. In comparison, the Aussie ones were smaller and their skins were tinged with green. The green tinging turned out to be a natural sunscreen. They took cameras out on the streets and surveyed the public - sure enough, the public picked the US oranges on looks alone. When it came down to the taste test, however, the Aussie oranges won - the US oranges just looked nice and that was why people bought them - no matter that they were treated very heavily with chemicals. I'm not suprised growers have resorted to adding food colourings if sales are based on aesthetics more than taste.

My sister is a fruit grower in Sunraysia region - she tells me I wouldn't eat her produce if I "saw the s**t that was sprayed on it". The growth hormone they use doubles the size of the grapes....because that's what the Asian marketeers want.
"Our research could lead to the development of grapes that produce enough gibberellin at the right time without the need for spraying, reducing costs and management."

Crop geneticist wins Minister's Prize

Experimented with gibberellin - plant growth hormone - as a kid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.