Food Colouring

Old Mar 10th 2004, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Food Colouring

I know I keep going on about this but is there legislation in Australia about the use of colouring in food? I have never seen such brightly coloured food and drink. The fanta was bright orange and I noticed they used lots of blue colouring! These brightly coloured foods are very attractive to children but when my youngest has something with the blue colour in it she is so fast she would probably win a gold medal at the Olympics!!
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Debs
Cant answer your query but I do know that there is a food standards agency - not sure if there website has any more info for you:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Thanks Hp will have a look at that.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:28 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Food Colouring

Originally posted by debsy
I know I keep going on about this but is there legislation in Australia about the use of colouring in food? I have never seen such brightly coloured food and drink. The fanta was bright orange and I noticed they used lots of blue colouring! These brightly coloured foods are very attractive to children but when my youngest has something with the blue colour in it she is so fast she would probably win a gold medal at the Olympics!!
Try these, Deb.

The second one looks good.

http://www.nicnas.gov.au/australia/fsanz.htm

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.in.../additives.htm

Steve.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Thanks Hp will have a look at that.
Even Fruit and veg here is allowed to be dyed, apples and oranges have food colour to "enhance" them. By the colours of carrots and corn I think theres something going on in few veg too.
That is the tricky part, a pack of biscuits is going to state food colouring even if its just by a number, but what about fruit?

We grow a lot of veg here when its not too hot, but I can honestly say the normal colours of veg grown with just aussie sun and rain are nothing like the vivid colours in the shop stuff.

I think the only answer is buy organic if you can find it and stick to stuff like say unprocessed oats instead of packet cereal etc. We went through a spell with a kid with asthma where we were supposed to cut out food colourings etc think we lived on rice and oats for a month It did help tho There is more choice with organic now tho, like in meat, foods like sausages and mince def had food colour in them 5 years ago. The only help we had was a list from a health professional, but now a lot more food infomation is available even by just reading the packets.

Last edited by dotty; Mar 10th 2004 at 7:37 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone. I will check out the websites. Dotty, by the sounds of things I will have to go for the Good Life (do you remember that?).
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. I will check out the websites. Dotty, by the sounds of things I will have to go for the Good Life (do you remember that?).
You cant forget it they still show it here

Good luck.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

OMG:scared: I used to watch that when I was a kid:scared: OOh lets start a nostalgic thread about old UK Tv programmes that you can get ib oz
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Margo or Barbara!!??

Sounds like you have the same probs with food additives in your household as we have with in ours with chemicals (in detergents, toiletries, etc.). It's a nightmare moving country and finding new products that are tolerable (cos we end up buying, trying and throwing/giving away half the stuff we buy)!!

Someone's just bought me 5 packs of baby wipes - phenomenal amount of chems in them and I don't want to use them. I'm doing homemade washable wipes instead with camomile and honey tea (natural antispetic and soother)!! Probably cheaper too.

Good luck Debsy, hope you can find the info you're looking for.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HP we are quite sensitive ourselves. I have tried all of these nice shampoos but i cannot use them as they make my itch myself silly! I find that baby shampoo is a lot better. As for wipes I find the Nivea baby ones are great.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
Even Fruit and veg here is allowed to be dyed, apples and oranges have food colour to "enhance" them. By the colours of carrots and corn I think theres something going on in few veg too.
That is the tricky part, a pack of biscuits is going to state food colouring even if its just by a number, but what about fruit?

Have you got some proof of that - I am not disputing it just would like to see proof of it. I have often wondered if that were the case in the UK?

I often think the fruit and veg in Oz is brighter in colour because it is fresher and picked at times just before it goes into the shops.
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Margo or Barbara!!??
ooohhh... Dotty can be Margo, Debs can be Barbara and Tom can be Badgersmount.... hmmm who shall we have for Gerry?
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG:scared: I used to watch that when I was a kid:scared: OOh lets start a nostalgic thread about old UK Tv programmes that you can get ib oz
Debsy, saw your note about 'The Good Life' and I thought I would share with you that my friends live in Surbiton and apparently the show was filmed just around the corner from them.

Also you know the Bad guy from True lies, well he lives just behind my friends in Surbiton and has a big pool in his back garden, (we had a sneaky peak from her bathroom window)!! Sad Stalkers that we are

Bye for now

Nat
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Larissa
ooohhh... Dotty can be Margo, Debs can be Barbara and Tom can be Badgersmount.... hmmm who shall we have for Gerry?
ABC
Old Mar 11th 2004, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

ABC
lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.