Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is food cheaper than Perth in the UK?

Is food cheaper than Perth in the UK?

Old May 20th 2007, 10:22 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is food cheaper than Perth in the UK?

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
sweet tasting tomato!
The grape tomato is the best I have found.
Trying to get a takeaway delivery here is what really bugs me. Yo're at home with a mate or that, had a few drinks (so can't drive) and fancy a takeaway. All you can bloody well get is pizza or chinese, and if it's after 9pm you'll probably have to make it Dominos:curse:

In NZ we could get allsorts delivered, Thai, Indian,Greek, Italian, Fish 'n' Chips, Vegetarian, even Maori
I agree.
Old May 20th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

I find the quality of much of the fruit and veg to be disappointing. In well over a decade here I have yet to see a really red, ripe but reasonably firm sweet tasting tomato! And yes prices can be ridiculous for fruit and veg as well as for fish.
very true, that's why we hardly buy any tomatos, we grow "Grosse Liese" in the backyard, wonderful fleshy and tasty.
Old May 20th 2007, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
The only thing that I've noticed on the positive side of things here in Perth is that the vegetables are often bigger.

That's it.

Fish - much, much more expensive - and sometimes tastes dreadful

Meat - just as expensive and sometimes as tough as leather.

Fruit - overpriced.

Range of foods - better for Asian - everything else worse than the UK.

Overall costs - higher here.

Can't understand how anyone can justify that grocery shopping is more rewarding here. After two years I don't think it's a patch on the UK.

Some things related to food are better (i.e. takeaways and eating out) but grocery shopping is a continual disappointment.
fully agree.
we shop mainly at a German butcher (smallgoods and meat), where we also buy German bread or from a Swiss Bakery, we buy cakes from Swiss/German/French patisseries, we buy European cheese again from a German or Italian shop or in the Freo Markets (mouse trap), we buy only European biscuits and so forth ...

I hardly ever buy fruit and veg from Wollies or Coles, either IGA, markets or Fresh Provision shops

I only buy Mt Barker chicken

I hardly buy fish, because many just don't taste nice. The expessive ones $30+ are often better.

Besides peas we don't buy any frozen veggies, quality is poor compare to Europe.

We don't buy Arnotts because of the vegetable fat in it (European ones use butter)

Veggies and fruits are overpriced.
Old May 20th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by annb
Eminem in Nedlands, fantastic turkish food, absolutely unreal and great for a treat as its a little pricey , we paid $60 per head for a Meze Style meal, there
Eminem has closed to my knowledge.
Old May 20th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
fully agree.
we shop mainly at a German butcher (smallgoods and meat), where we also buy German bread or from a Swiss Bakery, we buy cakes from Swiss/German/French patisseries, we buy European cheese again from a German or Italian shop or in the Freo Markets (mouse trap), we buy only European biscuits and so forth ...

I hardly ever buy fruit and veg from Wollies or Coles, either IGA, markets or Fresh Provision shops

I only buy Mt Barker chicken

I hardly buy fish, because many just don't taste nice. The expessive ones $30+ are often better.

Besides peas we don't buy any frozen veggies, quality is poor compare to Europe.

We don't buy Arnotts because of the vegetable fat in it (European ones use butter)

Veggies and fruits are overpriced.

Where are the German shops you use?
Old May 20th 2007, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

annb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant futureannb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Evelin
Eminem has closed to my knowledge.
no they closed the one in leederville and moved to nedlands, i was just there a few weeks ago