Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Follow the yellow brick road...

Wikiposts

Follow the yellow brick road...

Old Aug 17th 2003, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future
Default Follow the yellow brick road...

Hello people,

For those of you who are interested - a quick newsflash diary of my first few weeks in WA - take from it what you will......

Arrived in Perth June 1st - flew through via Singapore with no probs whatsoever - Quantas flight comfortable and they provide snacks on request so I was content. Four days in Perth before leaving for Geraldton for husband's job at short notice. Large mass of nothingness discovered on 5 hour journey up.

Week 1 - checked into holiday unit for long term stay while waiting for stuff to be shipped over. To those planning similar; I advise finding somewhere close to the beach/town/pub so that you don’t go out of your mind with cabin fever - two bedrooms are also a good idea if you are prone to the odd disagreement with your partner (tum te tum).

Week 2 - Passport, wallet and address book stolen from room whilst we were sleeping....at least no violent attacks! Rest of week 2 spent filling in forms and making phonecalls to arrange replacements. (I had thought my form filling was over for at least two years.)

Week 3 - Endless trawling around employment agencies -waste of time- don’t bother unless they are a specific service provider. Still filling in forms for passport.

Week 4 - Endless trawling around possible places of employment asking for work. Homesickness kicks in (earlier than expected) after watching Eastenders on friends Foxtel channel Doh! End of week four - five offers of employment in one day - just like buses it seems. Requests for payment of passport replacement fees also come flooding in - oh joy.

Weeks 5-9 - working when necessary - rest of time spent playing sport and walking on beach - Homesickness settling down. Starting to make friends and found 1 nice pub. Still paying for passport...

Week 9 - Try to rent washing machine but not allowed as no ozzie driving licence - obviously washers are more technical over here. Passport arrives back. More forms for re-evidencing visa...sigh. Notice that stuff due to arrive so out of holiday accommodation and into rented house -YAY!!!!....or not....

Week 10 - found out Estate Agent is selling house - they 'forgot' to tell us that before signing lease - currently speaking to solicitors to sort out mess. Odd evening spent watching soundless TV on British sets!!! Purchased are own washing machine!!!!

So there you go - that’s where we are at the moment - I think we have had our fair share of disappointments - but overall we are doing OK!

A.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 9:51 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear from you. So where are you now? That 5 hour journey of nothingness, hmmm remember it well!
Good luck and keep us all posted
Old Aug 17th 2003, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thanks for posting- your honesty is welcome.

What bad luck getting all of your stuff nicked. Hope things are getting sorted for you soon.

Keep us updated on your job, new house etc. I am sure you will feel a lot more settled when you are back to the normalities of life!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Follow the yellow brick road...

Originally posted by annalooby

Week 2 - Passport, wallet and address book stolen from room whilst we were sleeping....at least no violent attacks!

A.

Sorry to hear that you became a victim of crime in Oz so quickly, especially through an invasion of the room where you were sleeping. It is good that you are prepared to post so honestly.
Old Aug 18th 2003, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

[
Week 4 - Endless trawling around possible places of employment asking for work. Homesickness kicks in (earlier than expected) after watching Eastenders on friends Foxtel channel Doh! End of
=============================================
On a lighter note = Loopy does a mean black market trade in dodgy Eastenders videos. Makes you feel like you're back in UK.

Old Aug 19th 2003, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

On a lighter note = Loopy does a mean black market trade in dodgy Eastenders videos. Makes you feel like you're back in UK.

Really!??!?! Lemmie at em- lemmie at em!!! I am sooooo sick of CSI, The Bold and the Booootiful etc. I miss the gritty depressing storylines - I would pay good money for a fix!!
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:43 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hello people,

Week 9 - Try to rent washing machine but not allowed as no ozzie driving licence - obviously washers are more technical over here. Passport arrives back. More forms for re-evidencing visa...sigh. Notice that stuff due to arrive so out of holiday accommodation and into rented house -YAY!!!!....or not....

A.

If you can't get an Aussie drivers licence because you are not PR or a citizen etc - go get an over 18 card... it acts as form of identification as like the drivers licence, (they just want identification off you that's all... so you don't run off with their washing machine) , makes life a bit easier.... you'll be able to rent that washing machine then, or whatever . You get the over 18 card by going to the transport office same place as where they issue the driving licenses (QLD transport here) - all you need is your passport (proving that you are over 18 ) and I think a couple of utility bills just to show that you are a resident.

cheers
Old Aug 19th 2003, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

After 7 weeks in Adelaide we have had similar arival fustrations. Australian processes and products are designed to make life complicated. I suppose in the UK you just get used to how to achieve simple feats, like taking stuff to the tip, opening bacon packets, using the laundry, buying a house..

All character building stuff tho

Mash...
Hello people,

A.

Last edited by mashiraz; Aug 19th 2003 at 6:52 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

Week 2 - Passport, wallet and address book stolen from room whilst we were sleeping....at least no violent attacks! Rest of week 2 spent filling in forms and making phonecalls to arrange replacements. (I had thought my form filling was over for at least two years.)

bet it was tinaj's bulgarian cleaning lady ...!! ;-)

cheers

richard
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by r.bartlett

cheers

richard

I am chuckling as we speak!! She does get around a bit then!?
Old Aug 19th 2003, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

Originally posted by tinaj
I am chuckling as we speak!! She does get around a bit then!?

flew out on your passport last week i understand ;-))

cheers

richard
Old Aug 19th 2003, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by r.bartlett

cheers

richard

Very good one mate