Fly's

Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly's

Just come back from 5 weeks in Australia, Travelled down from Cairns to Sydney.

We had no problems with fly's except when we stopped at a road side rest area just before sydney, with those composting toilets and the place was swarmed with them.

A friend of a friend has just come back saying its the worst holiday they have ever had because the were plagued by flies where ever they went.

Are they a year round problem or confined to certain areas etc.

I can honestly say they did not cause us any probs - Did I miss something or are these friends of friends just being whinging poms
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly's

Originally posted by jwinch

We had no problems with fly's except when we stopped at a road side rest area just before sydney, with those composting toilets and the place was swarmed with them.

A friend of a friend has just come back saying its the worst holiday they have ever had because the were plagued by flies where ever they went.

I can honestly say they did not cause us any probs - Did I miss something or are these friends of friends just being whinging poms
I think you must have missed something.You will know It when you meet up with them!:scared:

G
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Maybe they needed to wash more often!!..LOL

Oooops sorry...only kidding

we not had much problem with them so far. Only once at a restaurant on a very hot day. But i guess they are bound to hang around food areas
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:33 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Flies are seasonal - we're just coming to the end of the fly season.

Bad timing, that's all!!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Maybe they needed to wash more often!!..LOL

Oooops sorry...only kidding

we not had much problem with them so far. Only once at a restaurant on a very hot day. But i guess they are bound to hang around food areas
During their season the flies can be everywhere not just round food.Worst we ever had was on a walk round Cressbrook reservoir in Queensland. They even manage to get in your nose.
They just don't take NO for an answer

G
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

How long does the fly season last ??
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:02 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

All year?

Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:05 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

The worst I've seen them was at the Pinnacles in WA. You can drive or walk round there and we chose to drive (It was v hot and we'd seen how bad the flies were) around. While driving around we saw a coach load of Jap tourists who had to walk round as buses couldn't fit through the small tracks. They were in hell with there heads covered and arms flaying about. We stopped to take a picture from an observation point and the flies were upon us, in our ears, nose, mouth it was gross. We didn't stay out for long.

They were also pretty bad at Shell beach on the way to Monkey Mia

Its amazing how quick you'll pick up the Aussie wave
Old Jan 20th 2004, 9:31 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP
The worst I've seen them was at the Pinnacles in WA. You can drive or walk round there and we chose to drive (It was v hot and we'd seen how bad the flies were) around. While driving around we saw a coach load of Jap tourists who had to walk round as buses couldn't fit through the small tracks. They were in hell with there heads covered and arms flaying about. We stopped to take a picture from an observation point and the flies were upon us, in our ears, nose, mouth it was gross. We didn't stay out for long.

They were also pretty bad at Shell beach on the way to Monkey Mia

Its amazing how quick you'll pick up the Aussie wave
I agree - absolutely horrendous.

We went to the Kalbarri gorges and got back in the campervan within 5 minutes. We promised ourselves that next year when we returned we'd be wearing those head net things.

There is a fly season in the more mild parts of Australia but once you head off to areas where it is hotter you get them all year.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:23 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by jwinch

No matter what time I go out for my daily walk on the NSW Central Coast they are with me.

I have nearly knocked myself out a few times swiping at the little buggers!!

The joy of Australia!!!

Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:25 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Merlot
No matter what time I go out for my daily walk on the NSW Central Coast they are with me.

I have nearly knocked myself out a few times swiping at the little buggers!!

The joy of Australia!!!
They never show you the flies in all the touristy pictures.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:40 pm
Merlot

Default Smile!!!

Originally posted by renth
They never show you the flies in all the touristy pictures.
Flys are not that photogentic! Or is it they are just too darn quick!!

Old Jan 21st 2004, 11:29 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the fly season is nearly whole year, but even up north, it gets much less in winter.

In 2000 we were in Oz in July and August, travelled from Perth, up the coast to Darwin and then via Cairns to Sydney.
We weren't bothered by many flies. At the top end they were worse though.
It was about 25 degrees around Kalbarri/Shark Bay area, and around 30/32 in Darwin.
Now, maybe I was still used to them, but Pascal isn't and he didn't notice many either. Oh, he's gonna lovvvvve summer!