Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flying whilst pregnant

flying whilst pregnant

Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:05 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default flying whilst pregnant

hi

can anyone tell me if there is a limit to flying to oz from uk when pregnant

my daughter has been told she cant fly after 28 weeks is this right

thanks

jan xx

Last edited by robos; Jun 4th 2008 at 12:18 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

lele.juggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: flying whilst pregnant

I'm sure you can get a flight that doesn't take that long!!! Sorry couldn't resist that.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was no flying before 12 weeks and after 32 weeks.

Might be wrong...

M
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

cbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nicecbeeb is just really nice

up to individual airlines, really depends who you get on checkin desk and how far gone you look. Flew to states at 32 weeks and flew back at 36 weeks, no one even asked(did have a 20 month child and was travelling myself with her so may have looked a bit stressed) THey are worried you may go into labour due to pressure changes.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, some airlines have different policies to others but generally you're allowed to fly up to 28 weeks (with a note from your doctor stating you dont have any pregnancy complications and such like) long haul and short haul up to 35 weeks (again you will need a note from the doc's).
Under 25 wks is fine - you can do anything or go anywhere without any doctors notes or anything.

p.s Only know this because I'm 37 wks pregnant - 3 weeks to go!!! Best of luck to your daughter.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:17 pm
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys really helpful

ps louise good luck with your little bundle of joy

jan xx
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robos
hi

my daughter has been told 28 weeks is this right

thanks

jan xx

hi there - If your daughter is going to be making a journey between 28 and 32 weeks pregnant, it’s most likely that the airline will need a letter from her doctor confirming that she's fit to fly and stating the baby's due date. (some airlines do allow travel up until 32 weeks - but more so short haul rather than long-haul because of the increased risks to pregnant women of DVT etc).
As they can have differing rules you'd really need to check with whatever airlines you're thinking of using.
Good luck ! (and congratulations that you're going to be a Nan/Gran soon!)
Old Jun 4th 2008, 12:27 pm
one day rodders !!!

Originally Posted by travelbug
hi there - If your daughter is going to be making a journey between 28 and 32 weeks pregnant, it’s most likely that the airline will need a letter from her doctor confirming that she's fit to fly and stating the baby's due date. (some airlines do allow travel up until 32 weeks - but more so short haul rather than long-haul because of the increased risks to pregnant women of DVT etc).
As they can have differing rules you'd really need to check with whatever airlines you're thinking of using.
Good luck ! (and congratulations that you're going to be a Nan/Gran soon!)

thanks
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

douser is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew out to Brisbane to validate our visas last September when my wife was 22 weeks pregnant on the way out and 25 weeks on the way back. We flew with Malaysian Airlines and there was a restriction on the tickets that you couldn't fly when over 28 weeks pregnant. On the way back the airline staff did question how advanced my wife's pregnancy was and whether we had a doctor's letter to indicate there was no complications with the pregnancy.

Check out http://airtravel.about.com/cs/safety...egflyer3_2.htm which gives a summary of different airline restrictions. When you narrow down an airline you should check the restrictions directly as they can change.

Aside from the restrictions my wife wouldn't really have felt comfortable flying any later in the pregnancy. We planned a stopover in Kuala Lumpar to break up the journey and it really helped because my wife was getting quite restless at that stage. The flight went a lot better in general than we expected and the reclining seats helped to keep pressure off the bladder and back. Our consultant prescribed a low dose of aspirin to take for the week prior, the duration of the holiday and the week after we got back. Your ankles can swell up even more than normal when pregnant so wearing comfortable shoes which are easy to slip on and off is a must. A travel cushion for your neck is appreciated more when pregnant also. Don't forget the travel stockings!

Best of luck to you and your daughter.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:05 pm
one day rodders !!!

just another question

how old does the baby have to be to be ably to fly back to uk????

thanks jan xx
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robos
hi

my daughter has been told she cant fly after 28 weeks is this right

thanks

jan xx
Told by whom?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Burkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura aboutBurkins has a spectacular aura about

I flew at 33 weeks, I did have a letter from midwife but all it said on it was my due date and that there was no medical reason to expect me to deliver early but I didn't get asked for this despite being extremely large by that point!

My midewife said that there is no risk to mother or baby it just the airlines don't want you to give birth on the plane so they have to land somewhere else which costs them time and money.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burkins
My midewife said that there is no risk to mother or baby it just the airlines don't want you to give birth on the plane so they have to land somewhere else which costs them time and money.

For your child's sake you also don't want that ... not only the medical risks but also the problem of not being able to get a birth certificate.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I flew a lot between Europe and UK whilst pregnant. Some have 36 week limit, but make sure you have fit to fly letter from a GP or they will not let you board. You need to check with individual airline, but def get doctors letter no matter what anyone says.

Regarding baby flying back, in Europe it was about 3weeks old. Pretty sure it was no flights under 2 weeks old.
I gave birth in the UK, then had mad dash to get passport and fly out to join the rest of my family for Christmas. Baby was 3wks old at the time.
Taking passport photo at one week old is a nightmare. They just want to sleep all the time so getting a wide awake/eye open picture is difficult.

Small babies are great at 3wks old for flights as just sleep all the way. Its when they get to toddlers and jump around like a flea it gets interesting!

Gems
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:02 am
one day rodders !!!

thank you all for your answers

janxx