Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying through US means picking up your bags?

Flying through US means picking up your bags?

Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice
Default Flying through US means picking up your bags?

I'm looking at flying through the US with Air New Zealand. I was looking at the security stuff on Heathrow's website and there's a section that says:

If you are transferring to another flight before you reach your final destination, particularly within the EU, store staff may need to place your purchases in a special sealed bag. However if you are transferring within the USA or Canada you will need to place your purchases over 100ml in your hold baggage, which all passengers have to pick up before transferring to their next flight.

Is this a new 'security' meaasure? Do you really have to pick up your bags and check them in again? If you do that's the dumbest thing I've heard. I'm going to have 2 hours in LA. Don't they get checked straight through like they have everytime I've flown to Aus through Asia?

Last edited by LauraC; Sep 27th 2007 at 8:16 am.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying through US means picking up your bags?

Originally Posted by LauraC
I'm looking at flying through the US with Air New Zealand. I was looking at the security stuff on Heathrow's website and there's a section that says:

If you are transferring to another flight before you reach your final destination, particularly within the EU, store staff may need to place your purchases in a special sealed bag. However if you are transferring within the USA or Canada you will need to place your purchases over 100ml in your hold baggage, which all passengers have to pick up before transferring to their next flight.

Do you really have to pick up your bags and check them in again? If you do that's the dumbest thing I've heard. I'm going to have 2 hours in LA. Don't they get checked straight through like they have everytime I've flown to Aus through Asia?
You are correct. You pick up your bags, go through customs and check them back in again. It can be a real nightmare - especially at LAX.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:24 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

I have had recent experience of both - sometimes they seem to send them on (recent experience Detroit), sometimes you have to collect them again (recent experience MSP)!
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a new 'security' meaasure? Do you really have to pick up your bags and check them in again? If you do that's the dumbest thing I've heard. I'm going to have 2 hours in LA. Don't they get checked straight through like they have everytime I've flown to Aus through Asia?
Its not new, its one drawback that has always existed flying via the US.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

How are you supposed to do that with 2 hours between flights? I'm going to guess I'll have to join a queue to do the security screening, then get my bags then go to departures and join a queue to check it all in again! Seems like a needless amount of faffing about, when it could just be checked straight through!

I'm hoping I'll be able to check it straight through though.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 12:50 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

How are you supposed to do that with 2 hours between flights? I'm going to guess I'll have to join a queue to do the security screening, then get my bags then go to departures and join a queue to check it all in again! Seems like a needless amount of faffing about, when it could just be checked straight through!

I'm hoping I'll be able to check it straight through though.

You don't have to check them in as you would at the first leg check in. You collect your bags from the carousel, then just chuck them onto a separate conveyor for transiting passengers after customs/immigration.

Well, you do at San Francisco anyway. No extra paperwork or queues, just pick up and dump. The transit luggage is not screened again.

S
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:02 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

I flew via LAX with air new zealand in june and did not have to collect my luggage till i got to my destination
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:01 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You will most likely have to pick up your bags.

Flying from Oz to Canada through LA we had to go collect bags, go through customs and quarantine and exit the terminal. Then walk 15 minutes to other terminal (you can take a bus but was told it would take longer). In my opinion 2 hours is very tight, you will make it but don't be surprised if your bags don't make the flight. We've done this in 2 hours and it was very tight. Surprisingly our bags did actually make it.

Now...flying from Canada to Oz through LA our bags were checked straight through and we just had to walk right out and go to Qantas terminal. This is because we went through customs in Canada though. Again tight connection and this time our bags didn't make it. This was how we arrived in Oz for the first time, with all 5 pieces of luggage missing (all delivered the next day). The only thing we had was our carry on and the baby's stroller

On the bright side the second tiime we did the Canada to Oz trip, we managed to get 4 out of 6 pieces of luggage (delivered 2 days later). So a much higher success rate! The LA connections are notorious for not getting luggage on the plane on time. I asked the girls at the Qantas counter and they said it happens on just about every flight they have from LA!

Anyway, not trying to scare you. But just be sure to ask your travel agent, and again at the airport of the correct procedure. It also wouldn't hurt to get a map of the airport (off the website) and have it handy so you can find your way around. And just in case, the luggage insurance at the airport might not be a bad idea

Last edited by comet555; Sep 27th 2007 at 2:05 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:23 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Just reading through your initial post again. It really does sound like you won't be going through customs in the UK. So this will mean you will have to collect your bags, go through customs and quarantine, leave the terminal and walk to Qantas. Then, check in and go through security AGAIN.

It really sucks but it can be done in 2 hours. I certainly wouldn't stop off for a bite to eat though. Just go as quick as you can.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

If you are flying through the us with Air Newzealand you will not have to deal with your baggage, indeed you will most likely be on the same plane
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You don't have to check them in as you would at the first leg check in. You collect your bags from the carousel, then just chuck them onto a separate conveyor for transiting passengers after customs/immigration.
The exception to this is that if you are not physically changing aircraft (eg London - Auckland via LA or Vancouver - Sydney via Honolulu) the checked luggage remains on the plane.

Well, you do at San Francisco anyway. No extra paperwork or queues, just pick up and dump. The transit luggage is not screened again.

S
I suspect it is screened "behind the scenes" by TSA personnel.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Swerv-o

S
You're lucky you got to do it that way.

We had to pick up our luggage from the spot where luggage goes when you're connecting. Then we had to get us and our luggage down to the Qantas terminal, and check in, check luggage and go through security again. We've done this twice now, it was the same both times.

There was no option for us to through it on a transfer conveyor or anything. We had to bring it all the ourselves.

Huge pain in the butt, and a terrible system. But we did do it in 2 hours.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
You're lucky you got to do it that way.

We had to pick up our luggage from the spot where luggage goes when you're connecting. Then we had to get us and our luggage down to the Qantas terminal, and check in, check luggage and go through security again. We've done this twice now, it was the same both times.

There was no option for us to through it on a transfer conveyor or anything. We had to bring it all the ourselves.
Whether there is the option of a "transfer conveyor" really depends on the airport. Which airport was this?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:24 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Whether there is the option of a "transfer conveyor" really depends on the airport. Which airport was this?
I flew through SFO. My mate came via LAX about a month ago, and he managed to arrive in Sydney with all his luggage, so it can be done I guess.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.