Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying to Sydney via Sentosa any comments?

Flying to Sydney via Sentosa any comments?

Old Aug 6th 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

spectralcluster will become famous soon enoughspectralcluster will become famous soon enough
Default Flying to Sydney via Sentosa any comments?

Hi,

I will be flying Singapore Airlines to Sydney with OH + child, with a 2 night stopover at Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa Resort. Anyone done this? Stopping over mainly to break trip.

I assume Sentosa is pure tourism, high priced food, etc? Should we bother to visit mainland?

Thanks.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:34 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flying to Sydney via Sentosa any comments?

Originally Posted by spectralcluster
Hi,

I will be flying Singapore Airlines to Sydney with OH + child, with a 2 night stopover at Shangri-La Rasa Sentosa Resort. Anyone done this? Stopping over mainly to break trip.

I assume Sentosa is pure tourism, high priced food, etc? Should we bother to visit mainland?

Thanks.
Very nice hotel to stay in. We have done it twice. You can take the free bus from the hotel to the main part of Singapore. It runs every half hour. Enjoy.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cinderella
Very nice hotel to stay in. We have done it twice. You can take the free bus from the hotel to the main part of Singapore. It runs every half hour. Enjoy.
Do you know if the Sentosa Resort & spa is any good? Sorry to hijack thread.

Nic
Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Thanks.
We stayed there as well - great hotel and facilities around Sentosa. You can take cable car over to city as well.
Old Aug 6th 2007, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.

It really depends what you are looking to do. There are things to do on Sentosa - a fairly crappy aquarium, you can go up the Merlion, there is an orchid garden (sounds nicer than it really is!!) and there are the musical fountains - they are pretty naff, but worth watching once. The beaches.......well I would wait until you get to Australia for those!!! The view, and smell of the petrol tankers is not great!

It's fun riding onto the mainland via the cable cars and then there are more things to do - especially with a child (although it depends how old your child is). The zoo is well worth a visit and if you go later in the day then you can go to the night safari next door in the evening. They are both great. Out at Jurong there is a bird park which is fun to visit. To both the Zoo and Bird Park take swimmers for your child as there are small water play areas - great to cool down in.

Hope that helps a bit.

Rudi
Old Aug 7th 2007, 9:39 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nic938
Do you know if the Sentosa Resort & spa is any good? Sorry to hijack thread.

Nic

We stayed at the resort and spa in April this year for 3 nights on the way back from Brisbane. We had what they call a family suite, which had 2 bedrooms, one was the main bedroom and the other had 2 single beds and an 'L' shaped sofa which made a third bed. There was a shared bathroom between the two rooms. So it was ideal for us having 3 children. The hotel is beautiful and the service and staff great. But it is not as good for children as the RASA is. The pool closes at 7pm as there is a very nice bar and a gorgeous restaurant along the sides of the pool. So they don't really want people and I suppose children in the pool making a noise.

The RASA is just much, much more child friendly, and there is direct access to the beach, which the Spa does not have. You have to go down about 100 steps and along way across the road to get to the beach. No good with small children.

So it all depends what you are looking for. I would love to go to the spa again, but with out any children and just simply enjoy the peacefulness of the whole place.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cinderella
We stayed at the resort and spa in April this year for 3 nights on the way back from Brisbane. We had what they call a family suite, which had 2 bedrooms, one was the main bedroom and the other had 2 single beds and an 'L' shaped sofa which made a third bed. There was a shared bathroom between the two rooms. So it was ideal for us having 3 children. The hotel is beautiful and the service and staff great. But it is not as good for children as the RASA is. The pool closes at 7pm as there is a very nice bar and a gorgeous restaurant along the sides of the pool. So they don't really want people and I suppose children in the pool making a noise.

The RASA is just much, much more child friendly, and there is direct access to the beach, which the Spa does not have. You have to go down about 100 steps and along way across the road to get to the beach. No good with small children.

So it all depends what you are looking for. I would love to go to the spa again, but with out any children and just simply enjoy the peacefulness of the whole place.
Thanks Cinderella for the information. Could not decide between the two of them so I guess now I will opt for the RASA.

Thanks again.

Nic