British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   flying qantas with infant ? Are they good or bad ??? SIngapore better ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flying-qantas-infant-they-good-bad-singapore-better-434611/)

obogk Mar 14th 2007 2:24 pm

flying qantas with infant ? Are they good or bad ??? SIngapore better ?

HI we are planning to fly out month end to Perth ( 4 yr work visa) . My husbands company are arranging the flights for us and we asked initially for Singapore airlines however availability seems to be an issue. They have found some Qantas flights ? Heard bad reports and flying with 17 month baby want to double check ? Any experiences good or bad ? Is it better we wait and go couple of days later but with Singapore ? Decisions decisions - well best get back to sorting the rubbish from the stuff we take.......seems we have been at it for days and it looks no different !

s-jmelbournewannabe Mar 14th 2007 2:40 pm

Re: flying qantas with infant ? Are they good or bad ??? SIngapore better ?

Originally Posted by obogk (Post 4517845)
HI we are planning to fly out month end to Perth ( 4 yr work visa) . My husbands company are arranging the flights for us and we asked initially for Singapore airlines however availability seems to be an issue. They have found some Qantas flights ? Heard bad reports and flying with 17 month baby want to double check ? Any experiences good or bad ? Is it better we wait and go couple of days later but with Singapore ? Decisions decisions - well best get back to sorting the rubbish from the stuff we take.......seems we have been at it for days and it looks no different !

hi, not done it yet. but started a thread off on who to fly with and nearly everyone suggested singapore, i have twins at 15mths and 2 1/2 yr old and 10 yr old... Singapore has won!

good luck with what you decide, s-j x

OzTennis Mar 14th 2007 2:51 pm

Given a straight choice, I would opt for SIA if suitable flights were available. But FWIW that would be because of 'Singapore Girl', I haven't got toddlers that would be in tow.:D

Seriously, I've flown both airlines often and SIA to me seem to look after children as well as any airline but I'll leave it for those with infants who've had experiences.

Emirates is my 1st choice of airline though having been with most. For anyone travelling after 1st Sept (not you), Emirates are starting up from Newcastle and are doing special deals. For example, they are over £100 cheaper than Glasgow or Manchester on the same dates from then until as far as bookings go presently which is Feb '08. Not suitable for southerners I know but FWIW.

OzTennis :)

obogk Mar 14th 2007 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by s-jmelbournewannabe (Post 4517896)
hi, not done it yet. but started a thread off on who to fly with and nearly everyone suggested singapore, i have twins at 15mths and 2 1/2 yr old and 10 yr old... Singapore has won!

good luck with what you decide, s-j x

HELP WHERE IS YOUR THREAD ????

julie hilton Mar 14th 2007 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by obogk (Post 4517945)
HELP WHERE IS YOUR THREAD ????

We have just booked our flights with Singapore airlines today. We are flying on 31/08/07

We were quoted £480.00 x 5 adults and £403.00 for our 3 year old.

We leave heathrow at 12pm on 31/08/07 and arrive in Brisbane at 7.30pm 01/09/07

I'm counting down the days now!

Susi_Ash Mar 14th 2007 3:22 pm

julie! i am in bracknell too :blink:

didn't mean to hijack the thread - i AM interested which airline. we've got 2 under 3 after all :eek:

Susi

julie hilton Mar 14th 2007 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Susi_Ash (Post 4518025)
julie! i am in bracknell too :blink:

didn't mean to hijack the thread - i AM interested which airline. we've got 2 under 3 after all :eek:

Susi

Where are you in Bracknell. You can PM.

We are flying with Sinapore airlines

Cheers

PoppetUK Mar 14th 2007 4:17 pm

We are flying Emirates and have been with them before. I think Malaysian might be the shortest journey time flying from Heathrow. If you do a search you'll find some more advice on hear.

We have always bought childrens tickets for our under 2's so they have there own seat (and large baggage allowance for all of us) and I think this is a must. We also take our car seats (although be aware these are not suppose to be used in cars in Oz as they don't have the same standards - Oz seats have a top tether (sp). We will buy new seats when we get there. You also have to check that the seat fits in an aircraft - we use 2 cheap britax freeways. Around the airport we use this. www.toteatot.com

Hope this helps.

Regards

Julie

CMR Mar 14th 2007 5:03 pm

We flew with Qantas a year ago for our validation trip. Our daughter had just turned one, and I must say that Qantas were superb. They did everything they could to help - although there was a mix up regarding food. We bought a seat for our daughter so they assumed she was a child rather than an infant, and didn't provide baby food. This didn't really matter as she had started eating proper food by then and we had bought some along for her. Don't suppose it'll be a problem for you if your little one is 17 months.

Do yourselves a favour and buy a seat for the baby. You don't want to spend 20 odd hours with a child sat on your lap. As I mentioned above we spent the money on a seat for our daughter and it was worth every penny.

Whichever way you look at it such a long flight with an infant is pretty grim and there's only so much the airline can do to make it easier for you (let's face it, it's a difficult enough journey without kids) but I found the Qantas staff to be very patient and helpful.

We're off for good on the 3rd of April. Our daughter is now (a very active) two so we've got all this to look forward to. Incidentally we're going with Singapore Air this time, but only due to availability and cost, otherwise we'd have been happy to fly with Qantas again.

Hope you have a good trip.

CMR

Buzzy--Bee Mar 14th 2007 7:22 pm

Our experiences with kids and Qantas (we have received compensation) -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405635

Our experiences taking car seats -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405105

:beer:

Buzzy