British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Flying with Qantas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flying-qantas-359964/)

lloydmav Mar 8th 2006 5:50 pm

Flying with Qantas

I'm flying out with Qantas in just under 4 weeks, I usually go with Emirates or Singapore Airlines

What are peoples experiences flying with Qantas, are they any good in terms of space, food, delays, service etc ?

Thanks

Lloyd

iPom Mar 8th 2006 6:14 pm

Re: Flying with Qantas

Originally Posted by lloydmav
I'm flying out with Qantas in just under 4 weeks, I usually go with Emirates or Singapore Airlines

What are peoples experiences flying with Qantas, are they any good in terms of space, food, delays, service etc ?

Thanks

Lloyd

QANTAS are super. I'd fly with them every time if I could. I've flown Emirates and they're great too, but I've never had a problem with QANTAS ever .... in fact, once they made a mistake with our tickets and so we got taken to the First Class lounge, given refreshments, given new tickets, upgraded and apologised to. Then when we got back from Aus they had sent us an apology letter with £250 check in it.

If you google you can see leg room on planes ... there are some sites showing who's the best.

lloydmav Mar 8th 2006 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by iPom
QANTAS are super. I'd fly with them every time if I could. I've flown Emirates and they're great too, but I've never had a problem with QANTAS ever .... in fact, once they made a mistake with our tickets and so we got taken to the First Class lounge, given refreshments, given new tickets, upgraded and apologised to. Then when we got back from Aus they had sent us an apology letter with £250 check in it.

If you google you can see leg room on planes ... there are some sites showing who's the best.

wow sounds like you had an amazing flight!

Scotty123 Mar 8th 2006 6:46 pm

they are great we chose them last year and flying out with them in 3 weeks time... :) good service and kinda good leg room but im gong to see if I can upgrade myself :D but yeah they are great... all the airlines are much of a muchness not much between them...

iPom Mar 8th 2006 6:58 pm

wow sounds like you had an amazing flight!

Yeah, although this was before we had children, so we thought to beat the jetlag, we'd stay up all night and get an early start by sleeping on the plane!

So we arrive at the airport, exhausted and bleary eyed (hey, it was an experiment and made perfect sense at the time) to be told that there was a problem with the tickets by some guy who had the most terrible speech impediment.... I can't even remember what said problem was now, but it was all like a waking nightmare!

So by the time we got to the QANTAS lounge we were desparate to sleep but the next flight they could put us on was 5 hours later by which time we were snoring and drooling ... They had to wake us up to get us on the flight.

My other half took a Mogodon to knock himself out on the flight, but unfortunately he didn't realise that we had a stop off. THe lack of sleep combined with the sleeping pill meant that he became paralysed ... It was a weird side effect but the only thing he could move was his eyelids. At first the cabin crew thought there was something seriously wrong with him until I woke up and told them what he'd done.

So they called these ambulance guys who took us off the plane (him in a Hanibal Lecter type wheely thing, all strapped in) and me staggering behind. After an hour he'd come round and could talk but couldn't walk but they decided we could get back on the flight anyway. We got back on, and the rest of the flight was uneventful. We slept pretty much the whole thing apart from the odd wake up for food!

How stupid were we?!!!

:p

So yeah, it was an amazing flight!

lloydmav Mar 8th 2006 7:18 pm

That sounds like an ordeal, to be honest I really struggle to sleep on the plane, I would consider taking a sleeping pill but I don't think I want to be paralysed like that :scared: :zzz:

iPom Mar 8th 2006 7:21 pm

That sounds like an ordeal, to be honest I really struggle to sleep on the plane, I would consider taking a sleeping pill but I don't think I want to be paralysed like that :scared: :zzz:

It was, shall we say, an unfortunate side effect. I can laugh about it now. At the time it wasn't so funny. :D

eljustino Mar 8th 2006 7:24 pm

ROFLMAO i shouldnt laugh but that is bloody funny, I am sat here with a cup of tea half in my lap and dribbled on my shirt, terrible lol

iPom Mar 8th 2006 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by eljustino
ROFLMAO i shouldnt laugh but that is bloody funny, I am sat here with a cup of tea half in my lap and dribbled on my shirt, terrible lol

:D That tale has been told over a few dinners I can tell you, usually with my other half hiding somewhere in the kitchen making the coffee ...

halcyon 52 Mar 8th 2006 7:42 pm

http://www.airlinequality.com/

Read what people have to say about Qantas and others.
Singapore seem to be rated the best but economy class which is what I fly is always going to be similar whoever you fly with. :)

lloydmav Mar 8th 2006 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
http://www.airlinequality.com/

Read what people have to say about Qantas and others.
Singapore seem to be rated the best but economy class which is what I fly is always going to be similar whoever you fly with. :)

thanks for the link. I think I've seen that site before I think the problem with those type of sites are that they tend to be biast because your more likely to go to the trouble of reviewing a flight if it was a terrible experience, just wanted to ask you guys and girls first

sme Mar 8th 2006 10:00 pm

You were very good to explain all to cabin crew - I would have been tempted to say nowt for the laugh :eek:

h2oskineil Mar 8th 2006 10:03 pm

Thanks

Lloyd

Hi
Just be warned that the 1st item all day on the news yesterday was Qantas are starting strike actiom. The company have announced 8000 jobs to be cut as they move their maintainence over seas and the strike are in protest. The plan is to disrupt the commonwealth games.

Neil.

halcyon 52 Mar 8th 2006 10:03 pm

thanks for the link. I think I've seen that site before I think the problem with those type of sites are that they tend to be biast because your more likely to go to the trouble of reviewing a flight if it was a terrible experience, just wanted to ask you guys and girls first

Very true . Never really thought of it that way before. :rolleyes: :)

simongb Mar 8th 2006 10:15 pm

Thanks

Lloyd

Check out this website. You can get passenger's opinions on different airlines. Here is the link for qantas.
http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/qantas.htm