Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying to Oz via America

Flying to Oz via America

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all
Default Flying to Oz via America

Has anyone done this and can give their iteniry (sp). Or anyone looked into it and can give any advice. Looking to price the flights up in comparison to flying direct, but seems to be no easy way to do this. Also if we go this way we'd like to stop over in maybe one or two places, as it seems a bit of a waste to fly through the US, and not take a look. Any decent websites out there?

Any info appriciated!
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:32 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying to Oz via America

we flew back from Sydney via usa and we stopped off in honolulu it was great...what about a round the world flight then you can have a holiday back in the uk too....
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
Has anyone done this and can give their iteniry (sp). Or anyone looked into it and can give any advice. Looking to price the flights up in comparison to flying direct, but seems to be no easy way to do this. Also if we go this way we'd like to stop over in maybe one or two places, as it seems a bit of a waste to fly through the US, and not take a look. Any decent websites out there?

Any info appriciated!
Have a look at this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463889

Buzzy
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Any info appriciated!
Check out Air NewZealand, they go via LA and Auckland....and also you get two cases per person. Is a bit more expensive than going via Asia..

Debbie
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Check out Air NewZealand, they go via LA and Auckland....and also you get two cases per person. Is a bit more expensive than going via Asia..

Debbie
Air Canada through Vancouver is also an option, with an optional stop-over in Honolulu.

One advantage is you get to pre-clear U.S. Customs and Immigration in Vancouver if you are stopping over in Hawaii.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Wilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really niceWilpurina is just really nice

Originally Posted by brissydeb

Debbie
We flew Air NZ Premium Economy to Melbourne in November (mainly for the baggage allowance), thought we'd splash out being we were only buying one way tickets. Flight was great, but the security checks in LA was a pain in the a**e.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 11:54 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Any info appriciated!

Hey

We flew BA London to Orlando, had 10 days there to do all the theme parks etc etc.
Then American Airlines from Orlando to LA, then Qantas LA / Auckland / Brisbane.

I think the flights were comparable in cost to the others available. We had a great time and it was worth doing
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't recommend Air Canada to anyone. Would rather walk than fly with them again! There are any number of cheap flights to Toronto from UK. From there you can fly any of the American airlines to either LA or San Fran. Air New Zealand is an excellent airline from US to Auckland, then on to Aus.

For stopovers, we spent a day in San Francisco, which was great. We rented a cheap motel near the airport to leave our bags and have a shower, etc before we got back on the plane and went into the city. The Alcatraz tour is fun, as is the Golden Gate Bridge tour.

If you want to stop in Toronto, the airport is about 1/2 hour from the city.
There are lots of things to do close by. Niagara Falls is 1.5 hours away, with the lovely Niagara fruit growing region in between. Depending on what time of year you fly there are tons of festivals. My favorite was always the peach festival in August in Grimsby. For things to do in southern Ontario, PM me and I'll tell you where to go and what to avoid.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:05 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We flew west heading from London to San Fran (BA), then to Vegas (AA), from Vegas we headed to LA (AA) and then finally LA to Brisbane (QANTAS). We did this for the increase in baggage we got (64kg each but this was 3.5 years ago and I think it has been changed) and also as we wanted to visit these places (San Fran and Vegas were great). I was advised to hit San Fran first as it is easier than clearing customs in LA. Overall the cost was only slightly more than 3 stops through Asia but not much more. We did it face to face at a local travel agents as the multi stop was throwing up some mega prices online.

Any info appriciated!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
Hey

We flew BA London to Orlando, had 10 days there to do all the theme parks etc etc.
Then American Airlines from Orlando to LA, then Qantas LA / Auckland / Brisbane.

I think the flights were comparable in cost to the others available. We had a great time and it was worth doing
Hi we are planning on doing this, can you tell me did you book online or with a travel agent. thank you
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

You could try Aer Lingus to LA then AirNZ. When I flew they were good value and allowed me 120 pounds of baggage on the US to Dublin to Manchester leg.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bjddavies
You could try Aer Lingus to LA then AirNZ. When I flew they were good value and allowed me 120 pounds of baggage on the US to Dublin to Manchester leg.
Thank you
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:48 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katehn
Hi we are planning on doing this, can you tell me did you book online or with a travel agent. thank you
With Travelmood. www.travelmood.com

Did you have a chance to read this thread about it? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463889

Buzzy
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Did you have a chance to read this thread about it? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463889

Buzzy
Hi,
thank you for that link, and yes i did read your thread but couldnt remember who you flew with or what company you used.
I will have a look at this company. Kate
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
Hi i've reread your original thread. thanks for all that info.
I'm feeling very unorganised considering we (family of 5 ) are looking to leave at the beginning of April as OH has to validate by 12th May. aaghh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.