Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying to Oz with a 1 yr old

Flying to Oz with a 1 yr old

Old Jun 26th 2008, 3:55 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying to Oz with a 1 yr old

Originally Posted by bu1lder
flew to perthlast year with 3 girls under 6, emirates kept our kids entertained all the way, not to mention the tvs in the head rests. Also they tend to put all the young familys together at the front of the cabin, we did have a couple of problems with other passengers when an elderly english couple said " i hope your kids are going to be quiet, we've paid for our tickets" ??WTF?? my wife told them to piss off, so they did! also an australian man boozing in front of us decided to slap my 2 year olds hand for pulling his chair back when she got up. it took a lot of restaint to not let him have a gob full of broken teeth, however the cabin crew were great and asked if we wanted the police when landed. apart from that the kids loved it, most people understand, kids get bored!
Jesus you must have the patience of a saint not to have decked ther b'stard,as for the old couple ha ha indeed WTF
Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cybie
Has anybody flew to Oz with a one year old. We are looking to fly early next year and are not looking forward to the long flight with a toddler. If you have flown with a toddler did you stopover? If so where, and did they require any extra needles? Plus do you have any tips for keeping them occupied and quiet.
You have to consider a seat or lap. We chose car seat in a seat for our 11 months old and glad we did. She did sleep a fair bit. When we travelled with 1 year old and 2 year old we took two car seats. They slept the whole second leg. . We didn't have a stop over.

That's the way we did but there's no one right way. Its just 24 hours.

Hope to go back to UK next year with 4 year old 3 year old and a baby. That should be fun! might attempt 2 night flights but there again might just white knuckle it for the straight 24 hours.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cybie
Has anybody flew to Oz with a one year old. We are looking to fly early next year and are not looking forward to the long flight with a toddler. If you have flown with a toddler did you stopover? If so where, and did they require any extra needles? Plus do you have any tips for keeping them occupied and quiet.
We are flying with singapore airlines in September with a 16 month old and have reserved a bassinet although not sure if she will fit by then but the seats are better for us. She is 11kg and the max allowed is 14kg I think. Hope it goes ok.

BTW what needles/injections are you on about??
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:36 am
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

Originally Posted by soulrebel
We are flying with singapore airlines in September with a 16 month old and have reserved a bassinet although not sure if she will fit by then but the seats are better for us. She is 11kg and the max allowed is 14kg I think. Hope it goes ok.

Just realised mine only had them as we stopped in Thailand, you don't need them for Oz.

BTW unless your child is small i can pretty much say he/she wont fit the bassinet, the lady next to us only just managed with her 16 week old, my friend flew with her 7 month and couldn't fit him in either, our 18 month old had no chance (not for the weight, the length it really is small)....the leg room is good though.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I've done it 3 times from Sydney to LHR with my DD who is now 2. BA have like a carseat contraption instead of a bassinet, which is much better for a toddler. It made her a lot more comfy. You still want to be at the front of the cabin anyway, so if your toddler wants to stand between your knees they can, the legroom in a normal seat is too small for that.

I did it each time without DH, so became a bit of an expert. Whenever it all started to go wrong (i.e. throwing up everywhere on takeoff and being stuck in the seat while it started to run down the tilted plane) I would just repeat "By tomorrow, this will all be a memory. By tomorrow, this will all be a memory".

A rucksack full of new cheap toys for them, post-it notes being a real winner and changes of clothes for you two as well (see vomit ref). I also had panadol, ibuprofen, bottles. Don't bother with book etc for yourself, you won't have time!

If there are people who whinge ignore them. They are just being very provincial, and don't realise a plane is a glorified bus.

xx
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Emirates & singapore airways get best service though...
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LoobyLoo!
Just realised mine only had them as we stopped in Thailand, you don't need them for Oz.

BTW unless your child is small i can pretty much say he/she wont fit the bassinet, the lady next to us only just managed with her 16 week old, my friend flew with her 7 month and couldn't fit him in either, our 18 month old had no chance (not for the weight, the length it really is small)....the leg room is good though.

Could they decide to move us then when they see that she won't fit in. I wouldn't like to move as the legroom as you say is great.
Anyway she can sit in it and play with her toys, no???
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Annehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really niceAnnehe28 is just really nice

Hi i flew out oct 06 with a 10week old she was fine in bassinet on the way to Adelaide. I think that any child after 4-5 months would have problems lying in them unless they are tiny.
Good luck at least you'll get the extra leg room.
Anne
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:12 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

Could they decide to move us then when they see that she won't fit in. I wouldn't like to move as the legroom as you say is great.
Anyway she can sit in it and play with her toys, no???
They didn't move us on all 5 flights,those seats are given to those that need them, medically or young families and if there was enough space they gave us an extra seat so we had the whole row.
I sat on one end.....hubby on the other and the kids had loads of space to play on the floor between us and we were on hand to catch them if they decided to try take a wander lol.
The flight attendants really are good with children...they cannot do enough for you to make your flight easier
Old Jun 28th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

If you've got a confirmed bassinet seat, they are EXTREMELY unlikely to move you with a baby. However, if the flights are empty, being in a row with a spare seat would be just as good. The issue with a <2, is they are not allocated a seat which is why you get the bassinet (you've still paid for them after all!). The prob with flights to sydney is that they are quite often full. Therefore, book and confirm a bassinet seat and then if you get on and the plane has empty seats offer them up to people who'd like the leg room.

Also, I'd recommend anyone reading this, that once you've got a toddler 15m+, buy them a full seat. Short haul (5 hours or less) is managable with them on your knee but anything overnight or longer, get them their own seat.

ps average daughter fitted in a bassinet until 14months old.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Just a suggestion - if there are any signs of teething take lots of spare nappies and a change of clothes (for everyone).

Our little one (when he was 8 months) disgraced himself twice so that his father greeted his Aussie brother with the line "sorry if I smell of s**t, but ...."

Have a good flight - it really can't be as bad as you imagine.