British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Flying our 10 year old cat out to Western Australia (Perth) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flying-our-10-year-old-cat-out-western-australia-perth-934789/)

NandoF Sep 12th 2020 12:54 pm

Flying our 10 year old cat out to Western Australia (Perth)

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of flying out a pet cat to Australia? I am aware of what the steps involved are and the rough cost and know that it is expensive, cumbersome and time consuming to go through the whole process. I am also aware she will need to be quarantined in Melbourne for 10 days before she can be transferred out to Perth. We are planing on moving in just over 2 years so have plenty of time to plan this all out.

To say I am anxious about this process would be an understatement. We are planning on using a company to carry out all the steps of the process for us and liaise with our vet (either Pet Air UK or Trans fur animals). We have received quotes from both. Our cat is very skittish and anxious at the best of times, although this has improved somewhat over the years. Leaving her behind to be adopted by a friend or family member is not an option as she is part of the family and we are both very attached to her.

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar position flying out a nervous pet. If you have could you please let me know how the experience was and if there is a particular company you would recommend? I am feeling bad about putting her through a potentially terrifying experience and could use some reassurance.

Thanks in advance for any help/ advice you can offer.

Kooky. Sep 13th 2020 6:07 pm

Re: Flying our 10 year old cat out to Western Australia (Perth)

Ours are hand-reared and totally neurotic. We flew three from Singapore to Sydney (when they had to do a month in quarantine) and last year moved two from Sydney to Seattle. One was then 17 and the other 13. They were certified fit to fly and were fine, though quarantine was hard for us all.

Never moved any from the UK so can't recommend an agent there, but you could contact Dogtainers and see if they have any local partners. They moved us last year and were awesome. Though it is a bit early!

Moving right now (which we're looking into, yet again) is a nightmare but hopefully back to normal before you move. Definitely take her. (Please don't listen to people who recommend drugging her.)

SanDiegogirl Sep 14th 2020 1:09 am

With regards a cat, can you not fly with a cat in the cabin - in a travel carrier and under front seat - like a small dog?

I travelled from SF to San Diego and the lady behind me had her cat in a carrier under my seat. She could constantly talk to it and comfort it.

Or is your journey just too long to Australia to do such a thing?

Kooky. Sep 14th 2020 2:21 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12909652)
With regards a cat, can you not fly with a cat in the cabin - in a travel carrier and under front seat - like a small dog?

I travelled from SF to San Diego and the lady behind me had her cat in a carrier under my seat. She could constantly talk to it and comfort it.

I doubt it is allowed - AFAIK it's not very common outside the US, where a lot of people seem to fly their pets regularly, domestically.

In all it will be about 24 hours of flying. I would not put my cats or any other passengers through an hour of it, TBH. My girl would howl the whole way and be very distressed.

bcworld Sep 14th 2020 6:04 am

This is normal in the US but not many other places I'm aware of.

Obviously service animals are excepted, but in most other countries there is also no such concept as the much abused 'emotional support animal'.

A cat or dog would not be accepted in the passenger cabin on an Australian domestic flight.

NandoF Sep 14th 2020 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kooky. (Post 12909500)
Ours are hand-reared and totally neurotic. We flew three from Singapore to Sydney (when they had to do a month in quarantine) and last year moved two from Sydney to Seattle. One was then 17 and the other 13. They were certified fit to fly and were fine, though quarantine was hard for us all.

Never moved any from the UK so can't recommend an agent there, but you could contact Dogtainers and see if they have any local partners. They moved us last year and were awesome. Though it is a bit early!

Moving right now (which we're looking into, yet again) is a nightmare but hopefully back to normal before you move. Definitely take her. (Please don't listen to people who recommend drugging her.)

Thanks for your reply

NandoF Sep 14th 2020 7:20 pm

We can't take her in the cabin unfortunately. They don't allow it on flights to Australia as she will need to be quarantined.

Nimsk Oct 2nd 2020 12:14 pm

We moved from Edinburgh to Sydney a couple of years ago, with our permanently nervous rescue cat, and used Petair - www.petair.co.uk - 01725 551124. They were brilliant at taking us through the process, booking the flights, completing the rather overwhelming paperwork, telling us what vet processes needed to be done, and when. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it. I see you're in Glasgow, which was where our cat flew from, via Dubai. We can highly recommend them, and let me know if you want any more specific details.

NandoF Oct 2nd 2020 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nimsk (Post 12917315)
We moved from Edinburgh to Sydney a couple of years ago, with our permanently nervous rescue cat, and used Petair - www.petair.co.uk - 01725 551124. They were brilliant at taking us through the process, booking the flights, completing the rather overwhelming paperwork, telling us what vet processes needed to be done, and when. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it. I see you're in Glasgow, which was where our cat flew from, via Dubai. We can highly recommend them, and let me know if you want any more specific details.

Thank you for your reply. We are thinking about using Pet Air also. It's going to be a couple of years before we move as we have a number of things in the process still to do. We were just looking for some reassurance as we are pretty anxious about taking her with us. Thanks again.