British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Flying on Nov 22nd - Much to do! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/flying-nov-22nd-much-do-479594/)

UKEagle2Aus Sep 7th 2007 11:18 am

Flying on Nov 22nd - Much to do!

Well me Nancy, M-I-L, & the two girls are all set to fly out on 22nd November. Oh and not forgetting Sam our dog, who is off to Sydney for quarentine flying on 12th Nov.

Can't believe we are finally down to the last ten weeks.

There is so much more to do, I have been filling out forms daily for the last 2 to 3 months. Most of it is to do with the house builds we have got going on in Oxenford,QLD, but still it is a big paperwork mountain that never seems to end.

We have Pickfords booked for packing and moving two houses worth of furniture, there's the XPAT finance people dealing with my pension and savings plans etc, not forgetting the estate agents here dealing with the house sales! There's the bank in Aus, the flights(via Singapore to Brisbane) and a rental to sort out in October for the 3 months or more it's going to take before our builds are done. If that's not enough, I am dealing with contacts for my new business venture and working out my 3 months notice with Walkers crisps at the same time.... Phew!!

I am sure we'll be thinking of more and more as the weeks go on, but would appreciate any advice on things that crop up suddenly as the move comes closer.

Anyone else on the move in the next few weeks? Or, has just gone and has a few things to share, we would really appreciate hearing from you.

Thx for reading

UKEagle

:D

nightnurse2 Sep 7th 2007 1:20 pm

Re: Flying on Nov 22nd - Much to do!

You're going to be busy bee!
One piece of advice from me, would be to sort out your stuff well in advance of the packers coming. I was sat up till 3 am sorting out photos and bags of clothes the night before ours came.
Good luck with it all.
Tracey

UKEagle2Aus Sep 7th 2007 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by nightnurse2 (Post 5284728)
You're going to be busy bee!
One piece of advice from me, would be to sort out your stuff well in advance of the packers coming. I was sat up till 3 am sorting out photos and bags of clothes the night before ours came.
Good luck with it all.
Tracey

Thx Tracey, good tip, we were planning to leave it to them, but this sounds like some better advice. Yes busy bee is an appropriate saying as well......

UKEagle

northernbird Sep 7th 2007 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by UKEagle2Aus (Post 5284776)
Thx Tracey, good tip, we were planning to leave it to them, but this sounds like some better advice. Yes busy bee is an appropriate saying as well......

UKEagle

and to add to traceys advice make sure it if isn't going then make sure it isn't in the house because if it is there they will pack it.

UKEagle2Aus Sep 7th 2007 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5284809)
and to add to traceys advice make sure it if isn't going then make sure it isn't in the house because if it is there they will pack it.

Another good tip, Thx, it's tricky though, coz we are leaving stuff for the new owners (TVs, washing machines etc) so we'll have to think about big labels saying 'staying' or something. Thanks again it is all welcome advice.:eek:

GaryVFR8 Sep 9th 2007 8:35 am

We are flying a few days after yourselves(Gary and Wifey(Vikky) hoping to have packing finished by begining of October. Got a leaving do to plan and also going to works Christmas do. Which is the weekend when we fly out.
Can't wait!!!!!
Hope to see some of you in OZ!!!!!
Gary :beer: and Vikky

jellibaby Sep 9th 2007 8:48 am

We fly on the 22nd November to. We're out of Heathrow with Singapore Airlines 10.05pm. Charlie the dog is going the day before on BA (poor soul), and we're flying into Sydney. We've sold one house and are probably leaving the other one unsold for now with a hopefull sale in Springtime maybe when the weather picks up etc. Are currently down sizing everything. Selling off unwanted furniture in the local press, unwanted bric a brac on ebay. We're only taking boxes of personal items and stuff we were given as wedding gifts, bike leathers, scuba kit, some garage tools, skiis, an ornamental sword, books etc and expect to only have the laptops and clothes on the flight with us. We reckon it'll cost us between £600-£780 to ship. We don't have anything in the house that is classed as an heirloom so we're looking forward to buying new and starting from fresh. We will spend the first month with family in Sydney and then when Charlie clears quarantine we'll move up to the Port Macquarie area.

Anyway - ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY - I hope everything goes well with the build and the business. Here's to a fantastic life in Australia for your family and mine. Happy packing too .............. :thumbs_up:

jellibaby Sep 9th 2007 8:51 am

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8 (Post 5290494)
We are flying a few days after yourselves(Gary and Wifey(Vikky) hoping to have packing finished by begining of October. Got a leaving do to plan and also going to works Christmas do. Which is the weekend when we fly out.
Can't wait!!!!!
Hope to see some of you in OZ!!!!!
Gary :beer: and Vikky

Hey Gary - without hijacking this thread - but I guess you own a VFR8 then? Are you taking it or buying one when you get out there? We have sold our R1's and will hopefully buy a new pair once we've found full time rented accomodation. Enjoy the biking when you get out there though and here's to a great 2008 at Philip Island eh! :eek:

Josie1100 Sep 9th 2007 8:53 am

we fly 8 weeks tomorrow :eek: Getting very stressed but a little excited!! Also trying to organize a leaving party for about 150 people..I must be completely mad!!!

Amanda Jayne Sep 9th 2007 9:10 am

Originally Posted by UKEagle2Aus (Post 5284872)
Another good tip, Thx, it's tricky though, coz we are leaving stuff for the new owners (TVs, washing machines etc) so we'll have to think about big labels saying 'staying' or something. Thanks again it is all welcome advice.:eek:

That's what I am planning to do! I worked for a County Council during the big 1998 restructure and the whole office was labeled for Worcestershire County Council, Herefordshire County Council, Personal Stuff, The Bin!, If it didn't move it was stickered. :rofl: The critfical stuff like passports and favourite teddies (very critical) etc., I am going to lock in the car for the duration of the packing..

UKEagle2Aus Sep 10th 2007 6:02 pm

Well I have in typical fashion posted a thread and spent the next 3/4 days sorting out more stuff, it really never ends.

Thanks to all the replies, please be sure to know how much it means to us with such great support from people in the same boat.

Here's a couple of responses Josie, 8 weeks and a big leaving party, we have hijacked a gig in Enfield (N.London) for our friends leaving do. At £10 a ticket and a proper 80s nutty DJ, our lot are up for it at the end of Oct. Good luck we wish you well.:thumbsup:

Jellibaby, same day as us, we are going at 6.00pm on 22nd, we went on the 22.05 to Singapore last time in March, this time we wanted to stay over again for following day flight, but chose an extra 4 hours so we could see the harbour in daylight before eating. Good luck in Sydney, hope Charlie is OK as well.:D

Gary, travelling lite by the sounds of it, I must confess I don't know what a VFR8 is, but I can guess it's a great sports car :confused: Good luck to you and Vikky.

Amanda Jayne, me to, I have worked for Walkers for 17 years and piles of training and structural stuff straight down the recycle bin I am afraid. Feels weird but kind of liberating as well. Make sure you lock the car:o

Thx again everyone

UKEagle

Katherined0 Sep 10th 2007 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by UKEagle2Aus (Post 5284872)

We went round the house with post-it notes with ticks and crosses on indicating what was going and what was staying behing. Pickfords man said it was helpful......

UKEagle2Aus Sep 11th 2007 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Katherined0 (Post 5295915)
We went round the house with post-it notes with ticks and crosses on indicating what was going and what was staying behing. Pickfords man said it was helpful......

:D Thx Katherine, it looks like a great idea to me. How long did itall take to get it ready?

I guess we have M-I-L's stuff already in the house so we have a 40ft container's worth going. A loft full of boxes of stuff (Lladro, crystal, etc, etc). I know we have to let them re-pack all of this, but wondered if we would be better taking it all down and out of current boxes and put in a room of their own. Al of our similar items haven't been packed, so guess we should just leave them for the Pickfords guys to packfrom scratch?

Thx again

Eagle:unsure:

Katherined0 Sep 11th 2007 8:24 am

Originally Posted by UKEagle2Aus (Post 5297126)
:D Thx Katherine, it looks like a great idea to me. How long did itall take to get it ready?

I guess we have M-I-L's stuff already in the house so we have a 40ft container's worth going. A loft full of boxes of stuff (Lladro, crystal, etc, etc). I know we have to let them re-pack all of this, but wondered if we would be better taking it all down and out of current boxes and put in a room of their own. Al of our similar items haven't been packed, so guess we should just leave them for the Pickfords guys to packfrom scratch?

Thx again

Eagle:unsure:

I cant remember exactly. Definitely worth letting them pack the valuables. Not ONE thing of ours was damaged when it arrived. We didnt move stuff around rooms but did try and group it together in area/shelves. It took a couple of days i guess but we only had 1/2 of a 20ft container so had alot of sorting/decisions to make and alot of stuff to take to the tip/charity shop etc. The prep was the worst bit -- by the time Pickfords came they were fab. one Tip -- check they pack all the plugs/leads for electrical equipment. Some of our leads had fallen behind furniture we werent taking with us and had to come in our suitcase!

emelems Sep 11th 2007 8:44 am

We havent go the flights booked yet, but the house is sold and we think will be completed in 4 weeks so we are packing packing packing!!

Plus I am writing stuff down as it comes into my head re all the other things that need to be done.. I feel like I can't go anywhere without a pad and a pen as stuff keeps popping into my brain!

Other stuff I have written down is: buy and write all birthday cards for the next 6 months and give to a relative to post when the time comes, and same for all christmas cards.. go and get all the books that I know I want to own but havent bought yet.. plus made a huge list for my ebay fes!

Of course, am doing all the other proper stuff like wrapping up personal tax, our company accounts etc etc! LOL! Tisnt all silly stuff! but sometimes the silly stuff needs doing too! LOL! :eek:

Em x