Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

flying my dogs out to Oz

flying my dogs out to Oz

Old Nov 28th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice
Default flying my dogs out to Oz

Can anyone recommend a really good company to fly my two dogs out to Oz - I'm not bothered about the cost, I just need to know they will arrive there safe and sound! Also does anyone know what the waiting list time is approx for the quarantine kennels in Sydney?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Hannah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: flying my dogs out to Oz

Can't comment about who to fly with as I sent my dog from Singapore. Quarantine time is around 30 days.

Edit: Sorry re-read your post. Don't know about waiting time but it's apparently much less than Melbourne.

Last edited by Hannah; Nov 29th 2007 at 4:04 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:40 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kendalanita
Can anyone recommend a really good company to fly my two dogs out to Oz - I'm not bothered about the cost, I just need to know they will arrive there safe and sound! Also does anyone know what the waiting list time is approx for the quarantine kennels in Sydney?
Fairly sure Eastern Creek has no waiting time...
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

The pet shippers usually have a good handle on which quarantine station has which waiting time. I know Sydney had virtually none a few weeks ago, whereas Perth has about 3-4 months....
Old Nov 29th 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

Hi There

Animal Couriers is really good and very professional, they flew our dog over to Eastern Creek and could have had her on the flight within a month as there is no waiting time at Eastern Creek. Our Cairn is due to fly from Sydney to Brisbane on the 14 Dec and Lesley was able to sort that as well.
Phone Number 01483 200123 Web www.animalcouriers.com

Jane
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:04 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Airpets and they were superb.

http://www.airpets.co.uk/
Old Nov 30th 2007, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

We used Jets4Pets (www.jets4pets.com) to fly our cats from the UK to Australia. They sorted out all the paperwork/permits and booked them into Eastern Creek. We then used Dogtainters (www.dogtainers.com.au), recommended by Jets4Pets, to collect them from Eastern Creek and fly the cats from Sydney to Adelaide.

Hills Boy
Old Dec 1st 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Hi, I'm using Overhill Kennels in Bristol (don't know if that's near to you).
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:17 am
Liz

lizhenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew my English Mastiff with Airpets who were top notch in their dog care, the quarantine is tough for any dog though, so please think carefully. What i didn't know is that you can not freely walk your dog off the lead in Brisbane other than 'off-leash' areas which are basically caged areas for dogs and not that big - especially if you have a large dog.
Interesting in the UK we enclose the areas to keep our children safe - in Brisbane they keep the dogs contained.
Think twice about bringing your dog out, I know my dog had a far better lifestyle in the UK.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MOONLIGHT
Hi, I'm using Overhill Kennels in Bristol (don't know if that's near to you).
I'm about 4 hours away from Overhill and using them to as they are so good
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:26 am
Just Joined

siouxzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: flying my dogs out to Oz

hi
i used www.passportforpets.co.uk really friendly, fed watered and walked my cocker before flying out. Most reasonable in price to, get a free crate which some companys charge upto £300 for. you don't say when your coming to aus but you will need to get you dog chipped if you haven't done it already?
our cocker is old hat at flying mind this is her 2nd stint in quarantine. eastern creek are brill. we rang up nearly every week to check on her and they were very helpful.
we got awhole list of numbers from them to transport her at the end of her 'jail' period then picked her up at the air port ourselves but this depends on how close you live to brisy airport.

As for quality of life for dogs, i haven't found any problems finding somewhere to walk her off the lead, here on the gold coast, north side of brisy or in Adelade.

i never used an agency for the paper work we did that our selves. it will save you around £200 and is quite easy when done methodically. i can help you if you email me. its more legal jargon and vets who think you know nothing that cause it to be hard work!!

hope this helps and good luck
sue
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

cathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the rough

We are using Overhill too.
Our 2 girls go on Jan 8thish to Eastern Creek.
Overhill are great and quite a lot cheaper than some....
We exported a 13 week old puppy last year through Eastern Creek and we only need 3 weeks notice for booking!!!
Cathy
Old Dec 5th 2007, 6:36 pm
Liz

lizhenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: flying my dogs out to Oz

So where the hell do you walk your dog of-leash then? There are no unfenced areas south of Brisbane where I can let my dog walk off the lead, other than going across to an island. If I had known the rules on dogs over here, I would never have come over. You get $150 if your dog even walks out of the gate without a lead on.

Forget anything like the country walks in England - gone, I have found this to be the most un-dog-friendly place in the world.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Staff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the rough

We used airpets for our jack russell, and they were great, sorted everything to get him out to Oz and recommended an internal carrier to get him up from Sydney to Brisbane (to our front door in fact) and he arrived two days ago, a little befuddled and thin (he always loses weight in kennals - maybe I should consider it?? lol) but otherwise fine, and now raring to go.

Yes the attitude to dogs is different here - people and wildlife come first!!! but there is nothing wrong with road walking, and you don't want your dog running loose in the bush anyway, quite apart from the possible damage to the wildlife, there is the risk of paralysis ticks, cane toads or something else that will hurt to your dog.

When in the UK, living in the Devon countryside, I had to roadwalk the dog as the farmland was not open for random use by all and sundry, there is no difference, except here, when my son goes to play cricket/football/rugby we don't have to remove all the dog c**p first!!!!! and all the roads have a wide cycling lane along the side, so you are not taking your life into your hands walking along the road.

Staff
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lizhenshaw
So where the hell do you walk your dog of-leash then? There are no unfenced areas south of Brisbane where I can let my dog walk off the lead, other than going across to an island. If I had known the rules on dogs over here, I would never have come over. You get $150 if your dog even walks out of the gate without a lead on.

Forget anything like the country walks in England - gone, I have found this to be the most un-dog-friendly place in the world.
We'll be bringing 4 dogs over and have just returned from our reccie, which was to vallidate and also to 'choose' an area to live with regards to work for hubby (construction) and somewhere that will allow more than 2 dogs without a permit, we found some nice semi rural areas that were 'suitable' in Queensland, Victoria and WA. Victoria had a lovely purpose built dog show venue with large grounds where you can walk the dogs and we saw lots of doggie beaches, the paths were all wide and open and good for walking as well with lots of dog dirt bins and bags! I didn't particularly like seeing a lot of dogs travelling in open back trucks instead of sitting safely in the cabs travelling along highways!

There seems to be more of a culture to keeping dogs outside as well but as long as we have several acres then mine will live as part of the family inside the house with lots of outside areas to play.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.