Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying home for the wrong reasons . . . : (

Flying home for the wrong reasons . . . : (

Old Nov 21st 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

louiseos is on a distinguished road
Default Flying home for the wrong reasons . . . : (

I always knew this day would come, and hoped it wouldn't . . . but this weekend I received a phonecall telling me that my Grandfather has been diagnosed with 4 types of cancer.

I am devastated as he lived next door to us growing up and I spent lots of time helping him out with different chores, tasks etc.

I am waiting to hear some more news from the family, but it looks like I will be taking a very unexpected (and unbudgeted) trip back home in the next week or so.

I've done a bit of a search of the forum as see that 'compassionate fares' don't really seem to be offered anymore. I also found the post recommending a lady at EscapeTravel at Northlakes in Brissy. As this post is from 2008, I've sent her an e-mail to see if she's still working there.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation recently and how did you go about organising 'cheap' flights etc?

I guess I can always fall back on that recent US Airways points promotion if I need to, but I'm unsure if I'll get availability at such a late date.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 9:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying home for the wrong reasons . . . : (

Originally Posted by louiseos
I always knew this day would come, and hoped it wouldn't . . . but this weekend I received a phonecall telling me that my Grandfather has been diagnosed with 4 types of cancer.

I am devastated as he lived next door to us growing up and I spent lots of time helping him out with different chores, tasks etc.

I am waiting to hear some more news from the family, but it looks like I will be taking a very unexpected (and unbudgeted) trip back home in the next week or so.

I've done a bit of a search of the forum as see that 'compassionate fares' don't really seem to be offered anymore. I also found the post recommending a lady at EscapeTravel at Northlakes in Brissy. As this post is from 2008, I've sent her an e-mail to see if she's still working there.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation recently and how did you go about organising 'cheap' flights etc?

I guess I can always fall back on that recent US Airways points promotion if I need to, but I'm unsure if I'll get availability at such a late date.
Sorry to hear about your news, and having to fly for that reasoin is always horrible

Try phoning Qantas direct and tell them why you need to get there fast. That can sometimes be the way to get onto a full flight, not necessarily cheaply, but they will try and get you there asap. Also make sure whoever you fly with, get your ticket flagged as being a compassionate flight - can make a difference as the crew will keep an extra eye out for you being upset or stressed, and it also flags you as more likely to get an upgrade.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Air Asia are cheap and often have availability.

I've had to do the same thing myself for my Mum some years back. I would highly recommend you talk to the staff on the ward of the hospital he's in to get an accurate assessment of the urgency of your trip - the family often want you there ASAP whereas in reality his condition might be relatively stable, allowing you to get a more sensible/reasonably priced flight in a few days. It sounds a bit calculating but in my case it meant I was able to fly out to see Mum, and then return again for the funeral a few weeks later. If I'd paid $$$$$ for an immediate flight for the first trip I wouldn't have been able to travel for her funeral which would have been devastating.

Last edited by James516; Nov 21st 2010 at 9:44 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 9:52 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your news.

'Compassionate fares' aren't cheap, it's just that the airline usually waives all the usual change fees & restrictions associated with a cheaper ticket.

If you did decide to try the US Airways thing then I think you'd be able to get availability but you'd need to have a fixed return date I think which isn't ideal in this type of situation. Happy to check availability for you.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:08 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

For a truly last minute booking using QFF points may be a possibility.

I just had a look and there space on tomorrows BNE-SIN-LHR (QF9/51) route (and spots on Thursdays QF1 from SYD-LHR).

If theres only 1 of you there's decent chance of getting a seat and at least you know you wont get hit by 'full price/last minute' (i.e. nobody ever pays this much) fares.

Once in the UK you an decide whether to try and use QFF points again to get home - or alternatively buy a cheap far using GBP instead of AU$.

Of course you need to have at least 65,000 points sat there waiting for this to be an option!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:17 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I had this scenario a while back. I simply went to my local Flight Centre and told them what I wanted and let them do the work. Could I have got back more cheaply if I'd have booked it myself online? Possibly. Would I have saved a lot? No.

I wasn't in the frame of mind to do this myself and was happy with outcome.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sorry to hear about your news, and having to fly for that reasoin is always horrible

Try phoning Qantas direct and tell them why you need to get there fast. That can sometimes be the way to get onto a full flight, not necessarily cheaply, but they will try and get you there asap. Also make sure whoever you fly with, get your ticket flagged as being a compassionate flight - can make a difference as the crew will keep an extra eye out for you being upset or stressed, and it also flags you as more likely to get an upgrade.
Thanks Pollyana! I will wait a few days for some more news, before booking anything.

Originally Posted by James516
Air Asia are cheap and often have availability.

I've had to do the same thing myself for my Mum some years back. I would highly recommend you talk to the staff on the ward of the hospital he's in to get an accurate assessment of the urgency of your trip - the family often want you there ASAP whereas in reality his condition might be relatively stable, allowing you to get a more sensible/reasonably priced flight in a few days. It sounds a bit calculating but in my case it meant I was able to fly out to see Mum, and then return again for the funeral a few weeks later. If I'd paid $$$$$ for an immediate flight for the first trip I wouldn't have been able to travel for her funeral which would have been devastating.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I think with 4 types of cancer, and a family that are falling to pieces, it doesn't really matter what the people on the ward say. My Grandfather is sick (which is a part of life, I know) but I'd rather spend time with him and my family now rather than go back for a funeral. I know its different for everyone, but I would much rather time with him now, than be there for a funeral.

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sorry to hear your news.

'Compassionate fares' aren't cheap, it's just that the airline usually waives all the usual change fees & restrictions associated with a cheaper ticket.

If you did decide to try the US Airways thing then I think you'd be able to get availability but you'd need to have a fixed return date I think which isn't ideal in this type of situation. Happy to check availability for you.
My google search tends to agree re: compassionate fares.

Thanks for the offer of help with the US Airways thing - I might just take you up on that if I have no luck with the travel agencies. It probably makes more sense to do the points thing as then I can be guaranteed to travel in some degree of comfort rather than being a possible upgrade. My browser here is playing up and I can't access their website. I need to see if its possible to gift an account with the 50+50k miles if the 'new' account hasn't been active the required amount of time and also check if this 'gifting' can come from an account that has already purchased the 50+50k. I have a feeling it won't work that way.

Originally Posted by DadAgain
For a truly last minute booking using QFF points may be a possibility.

I just had a look and there space on tomorrows BNE-SIN-LHR (QF9/51) route (and spots on Thursdays QF1 from SYD-LHR).

If theres only 1 of you there's decent chance of getting a seat and at least you know you wont get hit by 'full price/last minute' (i.e. nobody ever pays this much) fares.

Once in the UK you an decide whether to try and use QFF points again to get home - or alternatively buy a cheap far using GBP instead of AU$.

Of course you need to have at least 65,000 points sat there waiting for this to be an option!
Definitely don't have enough QFF at this stage, thanks for the suggestion though.

Originally Posted by harrip
I had this scenario a while back. I simply went to my local Flight Centre and told them what I wanted and let them do the work. Could I have got back more cheaply if I'd have booked it myself online? Possibly. Would I have saved a lot? No.

I understand where you're coming from . . . sadly I am very restricted financially at the moment. This couldn't have come at a worse time (again financially) . . . and yes, I know there is never a good time for these things to happen!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 3:44 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip

That's what I did too when my dad was dying. Booking through a travel agent was the best way, I think. When my original airline (JAL) suddenly stopped flying the route I needed - 3 days before my scheduled flight - the travel agent sorted everything. He actually got me a better deal than I could have found myself on the internet, too. I eventually flew with Qantas who were absolutely fantastic.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:27 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I can't offer any advice on cheap fares but I just wanted to say, get yourself over there now, see your Grandad, and worry about the cost later.

I spent 7 days travelling across Asia and Europe from Sydney in April (thanks to the volcano) to see my Mum, wasn't sure I'd get there in time but I did.

In July I didn't get there in time, and I was only about 4 hours drive from her (and due to see her the next day ) but I know that every hour spent in an airport or on a train, or trying to book a plane or a train, and every dollar I spent (my mobile bill alone was just short of 4 figures ) in April was worth it, as I got to spend some time with her when it mattered most - when she was still with it enough to know I was there.

I didn't end up flying with them as all the flights were grounded but there was a lady in the Qantas office (Brisbane I think) that was an absolute star, trying to get me on flights, getting me on flights, ringing me up when the flights were pulled at the last minute, etc. Mandy, IIRC.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all of your responses!

I have not yet booked flights as I just found out that my passport is out of date!! DUH! It was on my list of things to do in January - not thinking that I would need it before then!

Currently working on getting that sorted, which is ok as there should be more news from home in the next few days as further test results start coming in. At this stage I think I'm aiming at heading over the first or second week of December . . .

Use this as a reminder people - if you have paperwork that needs sorting (like passports) do it now .. . don't put it off!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all of your responses!

I have not yet booked flights as I just found out that my passport is out of date!! DUH! It was on my list of things to do in January - not thinking that I would need it before then!

Currently working on getting that sorted, which is ok as there should be more news from home in the next few days as further test results start coming in. At this stage I think I'm aiming at heading over the first or second week of December . . .

Use this as a reminder people - if you have paperwork that needs sorting (like passports) do it now .. . don't put it off!
This happened to me a few years ago, both British & Australian passports expired. When I applied for new ones, I told the passport people that it was an emergency trip and they were able to get them back within a week.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the kind words - just waiting on the passport which should come in the next week and then I'll be ready to go.

Just starting to look at flights now . . .