Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying home at short notice, passports and banking questions

Flying home at short notice, passports and banking questions

Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:47 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying home at short notice, passports and banking questions

Originally Posted by Almo
I've never bought a ticket 'on a passport', as far as I can recall. US Airways have asked me before for passport details but I just said I didn't have my passport to hand. Can't remember anyone else asking.
APIS asks for a passport no. before you can fly, so that's tied into the PNR that you check in with. All you have to do at check-in is hand over your passport.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:08 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I have just done this a 2 month stay turned into a 7 month stay. I used my Australia passport in Oz and my UK one in England, but Malaysia wanted to see both because I had entered on one and left on the other, the bloke was rather envious that I had those two

Get your husband to open a UK bank acct and transfer money to that as needed xx
Old Jun 28th 2013, 12:36 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyanna
Well they never looked at mine when I used the "wrong"one once, but if you're going to shout at me like that I'll remove the info!
When we flew into Europe this year (via Rome FCO) my wife, on an Australian passport, was just waved through immigration. At Brussels, catching the Eurostar to the UK, the Belgian side noticed that she didn't have an entry stamp and told her she was in Europe illegally! They passed her through but said that the UK officials (20 metres away) would query the lack of an entry stamp - they didn't, not in Brussels and not at Heathrow on the way back to Australia.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 5:19 am
Just Joined

kkgm07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
Just to add, and funnily enough that exact combination of flights is available for 7th July as a frequent flyer redemption. I didn't check the other date.

If you want to book it yourself for the same price as being quoted here, let me know...that outbound prices at USD2025 as a one way if you just buy the miles yourself.
Hi Bcworld, i recently came across the same site, luckily ive seached the forum as well. You mentioned you can buy the miles to complete these deal legitimately.

i have the flights quoted to m from premierskytravel as follows:

Tues Dec 17 - outbound
Melbourne to Stockholm

Thai Airways TG462 - melbourne to bangkok - tues dec 17 business class
Eva Air BR67 - bangkok to london - tues dec 17 busines class
Scandanavian Airlines SK534 - London to stockholm - tues dec 17 business class

Fri Jan 10 2014 - return
stockholm to sydney

Lufthansa LH2419 - stockholm to munich - fri jan 10 business class
Lufthansa LH726 - munich to shanghai pu dong - fri jan 10 business class
air china CA177 - shanghai pu dong to sydney - sat jan 11 business class

Total Price: 3,829 usd

is this just a scam or can i purchase the miles to complete this myself as you told the other traveler?

Thank you for any assistance

Last edited by kkgm07; Oct 19th 2013 at 5:28 am.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 7:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kkgm07
is this just a scam or can i purchase the miles to complete this myself as you told the other traveler?
It's not a scam as such but the company is breaking the terms & conditions of the frequent flyer program and therefore I would say the tickets could be subject to cancellation at any time, Premier Sky Travel would lose their frequent flyer accounts and you, probably your money. What would happen for example if you called up the airline to enquire about something and told them you 'booked through premier sky travel'?

These can legitimately be booked through the frequent flyer programs of US Airways or Avianca LifeMiles. However both of these have just finished a round of promotional offers so the cost would be higher than quoted here.

Edit: the cost isn't that much higher - with LifeMiles today I think it's just a shade under USD4000.

If you'd been booking earlier this week when their promo was running it would've been about USD2900.

Last edited by bcworld; Oct 19th 2013 at 7:17 am.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that SoS! Money wise, you can take money out of a hole in the wall but it is quite expensive. You can send him money via Western Union money transfers and I believe you can load up cards you get from Post Offices in Aus - not done this myself but a friend swears by them. Personally I use my Aus credit card but transfer cash into my bank account with Tranzfers. My husband takes occasional cash out of his Aus account with his cash card (Westpac) - not necessarily economical but practical.

As for passports - you've got all the good gen on that one. AFAIK you have to show your Aus passport at check in on return so they know you can enter Aus OK. Otherwise you can flash the UK one at officials. Do enter UK on UK passport though otherwise you get stamped with a 6 month visitor visa.

Personally, always fly Qantas and they have been very helpful and not that costly when dealing with changes of plans. I did discover though (not that it mattered in the end) that travel insurance (which your DH should get for the duration of his visit) does not cover you for an inability to return on your due date because of events with family not covered by the insurance - whereas a similar incident would have been covered had it prevented my leaving Aus in the first place apparently. Check the fine print anyway!

Hope it all works out OK for him
Old Oct 19th 2013, 12:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't ever recall going through 'passport control' on exiting the UK! Landside > Security > Shops...that's it!
They do sometimes have exit passport checks - seems to be on a random basis. We were checked in 2010

UK decision to remove exit passport control was a big mistake
Old Oct 19th 2013, 12:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Sorry to hear that SoS! Money wise, you can take money out of a hole in the wall but it is quite expensive. You can send him money via Western Union money transfers and I believe you can load up cards you get from Post Offices in Aus - not done this myself but a friend swears by them. Personally I use my Aus credit card but transfer cash into my bank account with Tranzfers. My husband takes occasional cash out of his Aus account with his cash card (Westpac) - not necessarily economical but practical.

As for passports - you've got all the good gen on that one. AFAIK you have to show your Aus passport at check in on return so they know you can enter Aus OK. Otherwise you can flash the UK one at officials. Do enter UK on UK passport though otherwise you get stamped with a 6 month visitor visa.

Personally, always fly Qantas and they have been very helpful and not that costly when dealing with changes of plans. I did discover though (not that it mattered in the end) that travel insurance (which your DH should get for the duration of his visit) does not cover you for an inability to return on your due date because of events with family not covered by the insurance - whereas a similar incident would have been covered had it prevented my leaving Aus in the first place apparently. Check the fine print anyway!

Hope it all works out OK for him
Thanks quoll DH only finished up staying a month, long enough to help his brother through the initial stuff and see him started on chemo. Sadly it probably won't be too long before he needs to go again, the chemo was only palliative but would have hopefully extended his brother's life by a couple of years, but he's hated the side effects so much that this week he's decided not to have any more.

On the positive side, because you always have to look for one, DH mastered using the cash cards you get from the banks here. So at least that little bit is sorted. The info I was able to pass onto him from BE members was such a help.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:13 am
Just Joined

kkgm07 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not a scam as such but the company is breaking the terms & conditions of the frequent flyer program and therefore I would say the tickets could be subject to cancellation at any time, Premier Sky Travel would lose their frequent flyer accounts and you, probably your money. What would happen for example if you called up the airline to enquire about something and told them you 'booked through premier sky travel'?

These can legitimately be booked through the frequent flyer programs of US Airways or Avianca LifeMiles. However both of these have just finished a round of promotional offers so the cost would be higher than quoted here.

Edit: the cost isn't that much higher - with LifeMiles today I think it's just a shade under USD4000.

If you'd been booking earlier this week when their promo was running it would've been about USD2900.
Damn i wish i caught that special haha, ok ive looked up flights and comes to about 4000 with life miles, do you have any idea what the taxes would be for this on top as i think it states not included? Also i was planning to buy 70,000 miles and then do the flexi payment for the rest is this ok to do as when buying te miles says non-endorsable im not so sure what that meant. Thanks heaps for your replys.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 7:09 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kkgm07
Damn i wish i caught that special haha, ok ive looked up flights and comes to about 4000 with life miles, do you have any idea what the taxes would be for this on top as i think it states not included? Also i was planning to buy 70,000 miles and then do the flexi payment for the rest is this ok to do as when buying te miles says non-endorsable im not so sure what that meant. Thanks heaps for your replys.
Return taxes to the UK are in the region of USD450...other destinations much less - try booking on the website and you will get the actual cost. Buying just 70k is fine. Maybe hold off for a bit..LM may start a new buy promo soon.