Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying home at short notice, passports and banking questions

Flying home at short notice, passports and banking questions

Old Jun 26th 2013, 9:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying home at short notice, passports and banking questions

My husband's in the situation that a lot of expats dread, his brother is very sick and he needs to fly home to Liverpool. I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any help people can give.

Husband has dual citizenship and has current Australian and British passports. He doesn't know how long he'll be in the UK for, so is it best for him to leave and re-enter Australia on his Australian passport, and enter and leave the UK on his British passport? We're not sure if just using his Australian passport will cause any problems with UK immigration if he needs to stay for some months.

Funds - on all our trips home we've probably been a bit old fashioned, and just taken cash. He still feels more comfortable doing this and I'm not sure that it's a good time to introduce him to cash cards etc. Thing is, he's expecting quite a large tax return this year and I'm not sure how we can work it so he can have access to that money while he's in the UK. I can deposit the cheque in his account, but I'm assuming his Bankwest keycard won't be any good over there. Is there any fairly simple way to resolve this?

One more thing, what's the best type of airline ticket to buy when you haven't got a return date? I know that I'll have to nominate a return date when we buy the ticket, as it would be just as expensive to get a one way one. A ticket that would allow date changes is what we need, is it just a matter of checking the various airlines' rules for each type of fare and getting one that allows changes for a nominal fee?

Thanks very much for any help you can give. This is awful.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:03 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying home at short notice, passports and banking questions

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My husband's in the situation that a lot of expats dread, his brother is very sick and he needs to fly home to Liverpool. I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any help people can give.

Husband has dual citizenship and has current Australian and British passports. He doesn't know how long he'll be in the UK for, so is it best for him to leave and re-enter Australia on his Australian passport, and enter and leave the UK on his British passport? We're not sure if just using his Australian passport will cause any problems with UK immigration if he needs to stay for some months.

Funds - on all our trips home we've probably been a bit old fashioned, and just taken cash. He still feels more comfortable doing this and I'm not sure that it's a good time to introduce him to cash cards etc. Thing is, he's expecting quite a large tax return this year and I'm not sure how we can work it so he can have access to that money while he's in the UK. I can deposit the cheque in his account, but I'm assuming his Bankwest keycard won't be any good over there. Is there any fairly simple way to resolve this?

One more thing, what's the best type of airline ticket to buy when you haven't got a return date? I know that I'll have to nominate a return date when we buy the ticket, as it would be just as expensive to get a one way one. A ticket that would allow date changes is what we need, is it just a matter of checking the various airlines' rules for each type of fare and getting one that allows changes for a nominal fee?

Just been through the same thing - got back to Oz yesterday. My thoughts are with you.

Yes you are right about the passports.

Flights - I recommend Cathay Pacific as you can change your flights relatively cheaply and easily. There may be other options - this one worked for me.

Money - take whatever is easiest and quickest to access as he may need money very quickly. If this is cash, then do that. You can transfer more money later.

Good luck

BB
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:09 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Just been through the same thing - got back to Oz yesterday. My thoughts are with you.

Flights - I recommend Cathay Pacific as you can change your flights relatively cheaply and easily. There may be other options - this one worked for me.

Money - take whatever is easiest and quickest to access as he may need money very quickly. If this is cash, then do that. You can transfer more money later.

Good luck

BB
Thanks BB and sorry to hear that you've just been through similar, I hope you're doing ok.

About the passports - does he need to present both passports to immigration in both countries and explain that he's using different ones for the two countries?
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:11 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

No. Present Aus passports when flying to/entering Oz and British passport when flying to/entering UK.

BB
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Good luck

BB
Was wondering where you were. Especially with the recent turn of events at IBM. Hope all is well
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Was wondering where you were. Especially with the recent turn of events at IBM. Hope all is well
I still work at IBM. Everything else may or may not be well.

BB
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathise with you and your husband.Not a pleasant situation to be in.Take care.Thoughts are with you.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:28 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am just back from a similar flight to see my dad who went from a chest infection to not having long in 3 days. I needed to go to Glasgow so phoned Qantas and got a flight the same day for $2500 direct to Glasgow having explained circumstances. It was going to cost $150 to change date and I ended up on 3 of the 4 segments being Emirates. In the end I didnt need to change the flight as dad died soon after I arrived.
Can't help on the passports as not yet a citizen.
On money did you not keep a UK account open? If so just transfer some money back with HIFX or someone similar. If you use cash from a card drawn on an Oz bank in the uk you will get seriously rubbish rates, however that is not the most important thing at the mo.
Its a horrible thing to have to do - best wishes for all of you
Scotty
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think of any reason a Bankwest card wouldn't work in UK ATMs - just be mindful of the fees they charge for each withdrawal.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 11:20 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your news.

Does your husband have a Bankwest Mastercard debit card or just the regular orange eftpos card. You can withdraw money on the normal eftpos card but cannot use it as an eftpos card but as bcworld mentions check out the fees before you go. I can't recall but they aren't cheap. Also don't forget to give the bank a call to let them know he is travelling overseas as they will stop his card if they see an unfamiliar transaction. Bankwest fraud department are excellent and they are very quick to react to things that aren't normal.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 12:55 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Check in using UK passport, leave Aus using Aus passport at Immigration desk. transiting en route use UK passport, same when entering UK.
Check in UK using Aus passport, use Aus passport transiting en route back, then use Aus passport to enter here
So
Aus>UK UK | Aus | UK | UK
UK>Aus Aus | Aus | Aus | Aus

Any reason why you don't use the UK passport at the UK immigration desk? Otherwise it would be nice an symmetrical.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Sylvia18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a dual national UK/USA I should not think it would be too different. When entering a country I use the passport I have for that country. So on landing in the US I use that one and when landing in the UK I use this. It's never been a problem.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 1:37 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Use the passport relevant to the country you're going to: as others have said I use my Aus passport to enter and leave Australia and my UK one to enter and leave the EU. Airline tickets are booked using the Aus passport so at Heathrow on the way back to Aus the airline gets shown the Aus passport and Immigration get to see the UK one!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 5:59 am
Concierge

Thanks everyone for some fantastic information and your kind thoughts. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, Scotty.

Can I ask if anyone's heard of/used Premier Sky Travel, website premierskytravel.com ? I usually stick to the principle that if it sounds too good be true, then it is. Received the following quote from this company, which according to its website has offices in the US and Singapore. I do note a minor spelling error, the formatting looks ok but has been stuffed up with my cut and paste here. Have done a google search but can't find any reviews of a company of this name, however have found a couple of bad ones for Sky Travel. Thanks.

Thank you or your request. Our pricing for this flight schedule shown below is USD$4,450. This includes all taxes and surcharges. Please let me know should you have any questions.

Sun., Jul. 7, 2013 | Perth AU (PER) to Manchester, England (MAN)

Depart:

4:45 p.m.

Sun., Jul. 7, 2013

Perth AU (PER)

Arrive:

10:45 p.m.

Sun., Jul. 7, 2013

Bangkok, Thailand (BKK)
Flight Time:
7 hr 0 mn

Flight: TG482

Operated by Thai Airways.

Aircraft: Airbus A330

Fare Class: Business (I)

Meal: Meal
No Special Meal Offered.

Change Planes. Connect time in Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) is 1 hour 10 minutes.

Depart:

11:55 p.m.

Sun., Jul. 7, 2013

Bangkok, Thailand (BKK)

Arrive:

6:10 a.m. +1 Day

Mon., Jul. 8, 2013

Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
Flight Time:
11 hr 15 mn

Flight: LH773

Operated by Lufthansa.

Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

No Special Meal Offered.

Change Planes. Connect time in Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) is 1 hour.

Depart:

7:10 a.m.

Mon., Jul. 8, 2013

Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)

Arrive:

8:00 a.m.

Mon., Jul. 8, 2013

Manchester, England (MAN)
Flight Time:
1 hr 50 mn

Travel Time:
22 hr 15 mn

Flight: LH940

Operated by Lufthansa.

Aircraft: Airbus A320-200

Meal: Snack or Brunch
No Special Meal Offered.

Tue., Oct. 8, 2013 | Manchester, England (MAN) to Perth AU (PER)

Depart:

8:50 a.m.

Tue., Oct. 8, 2013

Manchester, England (MAN)

Arrive:

11:35 a.m.

Tue., Oct. 8, 2013

Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
Flight Time:
1 hr 45 mn

Flight: LH941

Operated by Lufthansa.

Aircraft: Boeing 737-300

Meal: Snack or Brunch
No Special Meal Offered.

Change Planes. Connect time in Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) is 3 hours 10 minutes.

Depart:

2:45 p.m.

Tue., Oct. 8, 2013

Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)

Arrive:

6:25 a.m. +1 Day

Wed., Oct. 9, 2013

Bangkok, Thailand (BKK)
Flight Time:
10 hr 40 mn

Flight: TG921

Aircraft: Airbus A380-800

No Special Meal Offered.

Change Planes. Connect time in Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) is 1 hour 25 minutes.

Depart:

7:50 a.m.

Wed., Oct. 9, 2013

Bangkok, Thailand (BKK)

Arrive:

3:35 p.m.

Wed., Oct. 9, 2013

Perth AU (PER)
Flight Time:
6 hr 45 mn

Travel Time:
23 hr 45 mn

Flight: TG481

Aircraft: Airbus A330

No Special Meal Offered.

Best regards,

Jason Ng

Premier Sky Ltd

Mobile: +1 646 427 1096

Email: [email protected]

Old Jun 27th 2013, 6:41 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask if anyone's heard of/used Premier Sky Travel, website premierskytravel.com ? I usually stick to the principle that if it sounds too good be true, then it is. Received the following quote from this company, which according to its website has offices in the US and Singapore.

etc.
This looks dodgy to me.

To the best of my knowledge, I class is a frequent flyer seat redemption class for business class. Thai revenue booking classes are C,D,J and Z for business.

I could be wrong but it appears you are being sold frequent flyer seats - Jason is making a very tidy commission I expect! Selling frequent flyer seats for cash is against the terms and conditions of any program and if discovered tickets would be subject to cancellation. If it's the case check the terms and conditions very carefully as well for the ability to change the return date after travel has started as I assume this is a requirement.

It could be he's just cut n paste the itin from somewhere and the booking isn't actually in I class but I can't think why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.