Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying the flag for England (World Cup)

Flying the flag for England (World Cup)

Old Apr 27th 2006, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Flying the flag for England (World Cup)

We fly out in 9 days to Brisbane :scared: and i have got my usual england flags to stick on the car windows but was wondering if that was ok to do that over there. Would it be seen as not the right thing to do or are the aussies ok with that for something like the world cup. I didnt fancy a brick through my car window when we are there. Any advice

Mark
Old Apr 27th 2006, 3:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying the flag for England (World Cup)

Originally Posted by greggsy
We fly out in 9 days to Brisbane :scared: and i have got my usual england flags to stick on the car windows but was wondering if that was ok to do that over there. Would it be seen as not the right thing to do or are the aussies ok with that for something like the world cup. I didnt fancy a brick through my car window when we are there. Any advice

Mark
If you're in Qld it won't be a brick through the window it'll be a copper's arm...they don't like anything on the windows. The Bloke is a bit paranoid about it, but it does seem that they dislike stickers, dangly things, toys on the dashboard, toys on the back window shelf, etc
Typical nanny state! Doesn't improve the driving even though they have clear windows though

Last edited by Pollyana; Apr 27th 2006 at 3:39 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I have seen flags taped to the radio aerial if that helps (unfortunately though, the ones I have seen were all Aussie flags). I can't speak for Queensland, but I think you would be OK in Melbourne specially round world cup time.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 5:10 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by greggsy

Mark
You'd get a brick through the window 400 miles up the road....not sure what they'd do to you on the other side of the world!
Old Apr 28th 2006, 5:17 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

In Perth a St George's/Andrew's Cross on your car is virtually obligatory in the northern suburbs, as well as a personalised plate with the initials of your soccer team.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:31 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
as well as a personalised plate with the initials of your soccer team.
That's not obligatory - it's sad
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Toryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond reputeToryglen-Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
That's not obligatory - it's sad
well, i will be cheering for Australia in the world cup, as we never made it this time

i think anywhere in the world you go flags on your car look naff
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:07 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Engerland , Enge..Enge...Engerland
Old Apr 28th 2006, 1:19 pm
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy
well, i will be cheering for Australia in the world cup, as we never made it this time

i think anywhere in the world you go flags on your car look naff
I will be cheering on Australia and anyone that plays England....

Unfortunately got a horrible, horrible feeling that they're going to win it or at least get to the final :scared: (England that is, not Australia )
Old Apr 28th 2006, 1:52 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky
I will be cheering on Australia and anyone that plays England....
Couldn't have said it better Binky, we just have to thank our lucky stars we aren't in the UK so we won't have to listen to endless drivel about England and watch endless replay of nineteen sixtywhenever it was that they won the bloody thing.......... go the socceroooooooos

Lynn
Old Apr 28th 2006, 2:00 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Couldn't have said it better Binky, we just have to thank our lucky stars we aren't in the UK so we won't have to listen to endless drivel about England and watch endless replay of nineteen sixtywhenever it was that they won the bloody thing.......... go the socceroooooooos

Lynn
I'm with you Lynn, I never want to hear 1966 again. Although don't mind hearing what Jim Baxter did to them the following year

Go the Soccerooooooooos
Old Apr 28th 2006, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Engerland , Enge..Enge...Engerland
No, get it right, I'm still wondering where this place Inger, Inger, Ingerland is!

Anything is possible now that my Gretna team has made the Scottish Cup final and 'Boro just made it to the UEFA Cup final last night in absolutely sensational fashion (1-0 down after away leg, Steau Bucharest go 2-0 up in the return leg, 3-0 on agg and Boro then score 4 with the 4th in the 90th minute to go through*). So if Gretna and Boro can do it, its Australia for the World Cup and put away your St George and as said, more chance of a brick where I live now than where I used to live.

* Most exciting finish in years and I turned off at 3-0 on agg!!!

OzTennis
Old Apr 28th 2006, 3:39 pm
Gone for Good

Anybody got any idea of the SBS TV schedule for the WC? Can we expect to see most of the games - even though they will be at awkward hours?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

khoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant futurekhoardiroy has a brilliant future

Funny they always mention 1966, never 1066
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:07 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth

Lynn
And don't forget the endless replays of Beckham tying his own shoelace and his bitch grinning like the joker at every opportunity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.