Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying at Christmas

Flying at Christmas

Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough
Default Flying at Christmas

Yes I know we're just over the last one but it is looking very likely that the best time to validate our Visas (presuming we get them) will be when the kids are on school Christmas holidays 2005 . I've done a few searches on flight prices and they seem to vary significantly and some are really scary. Will probably travel around the 20th Dec return 4th Jan, 4 adults, 1 child price. Does any-one have any information on which airlines offer the best deals at this time of year - I realise Christmas is always an expensive time to travel but Singapore Airlines came up with a quote of Stg23,000!!!

Thanks for any hints available
Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:55 pm
Floribean in wait

oshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the roughoshel is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Flying at Christmas

Originally Posted by CK2B
Yes I know we're just over the last one but it is looking very likely that the best time to validate our Visas (presuming we get them) will be when the kids are on school Christmas holidays 2005 . I've done a few searches on flight prices and they seem to vary significantly and some are really scary. Will probably travel around the 20th Dec return 4th Jan, 4 adults, 1 child price. Does any-one have any information on which airlines offer the best deals at this time of year - I realise Christmas is always an expensive time to travel but Singapore Airlines came up with a quote of Stg23,000!!!

If it's possible you would be better travelling before the 16th of December, the prices are much cheaper.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying at Christmas

Hi

We have been to Oz twice in December. Both times we booked with Singapore Airlines via Airline Network. Alot of quotes were similar we only saved around £100 overall but chose SA because they were highly recommended when travelling with Children.

The first trip 4 years ago cost approx £3000 for 2 Adults and 3 Children (I think children were given 25% discount). We travelled on 30 December and returned mid Jan.

Our last trip 2 years ago was approx £5000, same tickets but we travelled on 18th December returning mid Jan.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Nikki
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by CK2B

Funny enough just spent several hours searching for flights over Christmas for my wife's parents. I said i would pay for the tickets. Oouch. Not going to do that again. Looked at 12 different websites, and they were all the same. 9th December is a cut off date for cheap tickets, with travel agents. Unless you go Christams day. Telephoned 3 different agents as well, and they all said the same thing. Christmas day you can get for £750 and 9th Deecember £750. After 9th £980. Its not good news. If you find cheaper than let me know. Thinks we are going to book wifes parents on the 9th.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

When we did our validations trip last Feb I booked online with Singapore air in early January.
I was trying various combinations of dates due to the fact that we were trying to minimise the amount of time off school for the kids (easter hols was part of the period), plus we had to be back by 8th march cos wifey was starting her nurse training and we had to validate by a certain date.

Anyway, 2 adults, 3 kids, approx. £2600 but there was one combination of dates that was £20,000 :scared:

I think maybe it was a combo of dates that meant there were no economy tickets, maybe that's where your 23K GBP came from?

Cadman
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:49 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, prices are horrendous over that period, so we decided to ship out for all of December 05 and January 06. We're flying with Cathay Pacific - booked through Dial-A-Flight - cost £1600 for two adults/one child. Just curious as to why you're doing things rigidily within the kids school terms - most schools are pretty flexible these days about this sort of thing, don't know if you've discussed it with them or dismissed it out of hand, but it might be a better option - you get a bit more time there and the cost savings will be huge.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions - I'll certainly play with a few variations on the dates to see what comes up. I would consider taking them out of school a little bit early, maybe before Dec 16th as suggested. We need to validate by Jan 26th so around Christmas is the only time really.

I'll let you know what we come up with,
Cheers