Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying with children at Xmas, HELP!!!!

Flying with children at Xmas, HELP!!!!

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:06 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough
Default Flying with children at Xmas, HELP!!!!

Going to Brisbane for Xmas and while I should be looking forward to it all I keep thinking about is stuck on board a plane for 24 hours with a 3 and 4 year old!!! So i have a few questions that somebody might me able to help me with.

1) Flying with Singapore Airlines - Are they OK?

2) Stopping off in transit at Singapore Airport, been told it has showers etc for weary travellers??? Is this true?

3) Any tips on keeping the little ones amused, considered gagging them for 24 hours but may look like a cruel mother (joke).

I know i shouldn't been moaning but 24 hours with my two will be a longgggggg time. Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:14 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying with children at Xmas, HELP!!!!

How old are your children?. We flew with Singapore and they were very good. Each seat had its own entertainment system with video on demand and Nintendo and puzzle games.

If you look on there website you can find out what films are gonna be on and what games are available. This URL should start you off

Singapore Entertainment

Have a good Christmas and don't stress about it. When it comes down to it its just a few hours out of your life. Don't make it worse by worrying before its happened

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:17 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Thanks, they are 3 and 4 years old, I will check out the website, if it gets really bad I will just go and sit somewhere else and let daddy sort them out, I wonder if I can ask not to be seated with them!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 4:20 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTEI wonder if I can ask not to be seated with them!!! [/QUOTE]

I suppose you could try but I suspect (if hes anything like me) daddy has exactly the same idea. While as I said they were very good I don't think they offer full creche services . Could be one for Richard Branson though.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

hiya

we flew last December with Singapore & they were excellent. The nintendo & films on demand kept my 7 year olds trasfixed. My friend came over last week with her 4 year old & she did it straight through (an hour in Singapore) she said it was a breeze. her son watched one film twice & also slpet a good portion of the way - what time are you flying? If it is a night time flight they normally settle you all down & turn down the lights - a video & away you go.

Don't worry about the journey - you will be fine - some friends of ours did the same but with 2 yr old twin girls & a 3 year old girl & they said it was miles better than they expected - so much so that they are planning their next trip!!!

Good luck

pocky goes
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Flying with children at Xmas, HELP!!!!

Hi! We've just got back from touring Sdney, melbourne and Cairns. Took our two kids aged 5 and 2. In total 9 with internal flights ) we had 7 flights and we were DREADING it! The kids were brilliant, it was the 1st time either of them had flown and we coulden't fault them. They slept for a great deal of time and then watched the new piglet movie and the kids channels. I had packed a flight bag just for them which was full of crayons and paper, stickers and colouring books and we never even opened it! We flew with Qantas and although the food was BAD, the airline staff were excellent with the kids. We were boarded first and the kids got their meals before everyone else. Anything they wanted i.e drinks unlimited, snacks, going to the front of the que for the toilet (!) was accomodated. Good luck and don't worry, if we can make it through with our 5 year old monster then i'm sure you will be fine!!!

Leigh.
Originally posted by leanda
Going to Brisbane for Xmas and while I should be looking forward to it all I keep thinking about is stuck on board a plane for 24 hours with a 3 and 4 year old!!! So i have a few questions that somebody might me able to help me with.

2) Stopping off in transit at Singapore Airport, been told it has showers etc for weary travellers??? Is this true?

3) Any tips on keeping the little ones amused, considered gagging them for 24 hours but may look like a cruel mother (joke).

I know i shouldn't been moaning but 24 hours with my two will be a longgggggg time. Thanks.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

kerrylm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by steandleigh
Hi! We've just got back from touring Sdney, melbourne and Cairns. Took our two kids aged 5 and 2. In total 9 with internal flights ) we had 7 flights and we were DREADING it! The kids were brilliant, it was the 1st time either of them had flown and we coulden't fault them. They slept for a great deal of time and then watched the new piglet movie and the kids channels. I had packed a flight bag just for them which was full of crayons and paper, stickers and colouring books and we never even opened it! We flew with Qantas and although the food was BAD, the airline staff were excellent with the kids. We were boarded first and the kids got their meals before everyone else. Anything they wanted i.e drinks unlimited, snacks, going to the front of the que for the toilet (!) was accomodated. Good luck and don't worry, if we can make it through with our 5 year old monster then i'm sure you will be fine!!!

Leigh.
Hi Leigh

Just wondered what your thoughts were on Sydney and Melbourne? Which did you prefer and why. Asking because we fly out next week adn are going to both places to weigh up the better one - if we can so that when we get our PR we know which to settle in..

Kerry
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

cam the man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default kids and flights

Good to know we are not the only ones with these worries.

We are planning our trip next summer with our 5 and 3 and our new baby due in Dec!
V. Intersested in your comments re Singapore airlines.

We recently had night flights to Gran Canaria and the kids were fine it was my wife and I who couldn't sleep!

What about accomodation in Oz, where did you find this and did you book in advance?
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kerrylm
Hi Leigh

Just wondered what your thoughts were on Sydney and Melbourne? Which did you prefer and why. Asking because we fly out next week adn are going to both places to weigh up the better one - if we can so that when we get our PR we know which to settle in..

Kerry
hi Kerry,

Out of the 2, we much preferred Syd. It is mega CLEAN (!) and really beautiful. It is also Very expensive to buy a property, so for that reason we have ruled Syd out. We didn't really like melbourne all that much. We found it to be quite dirty, very graffiti ridden and there was a general feeling to us that the melburnians weren't half as friendly as the sydneysiders. ( God - am I going to get flamed for this or what?! ) Having said that we went to the Dandenong Ranges and I have to say that the area is beautiful and the people were far friendly than in Melbpurne itself. Its funny 'cos before our trip we thought that we would settle in Victoria ( simlar climate etc etc ) but having been to Queensland, I have to say that we won't be settling anywhere else. Colud list Queenslands benefits and beuaties until the cows come home. Its heaven!

Good luck, leigh.
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

kerrylm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by steandleigh
hi Kerry,

Out of the 2, we much preferred Syd. It is mega CLEAN (!) and really beautiful. It is also Very expensive to buy a property, so for that reason we have ruled Syd out. We didn't really like melbourne all that much. We found it to be quite dirty, very graffiti ridden and there was a general feeling to us that the melburnians weren't half as friendly as the sydneysiders. ( God - am I going to get flamed for this or what?! ) Having said that we went to the Dandenong Ranges and I have to say that the area is beautiful and the people were far friendly than in Melbpurne itself. Its funny 'cos before our trip we thought that we would settle in Victoria ( simlar climate etc etc ) but having been to Queensland, I have to say that we won't be settling anywhere else. Colud list Queenslands benefits and beuaties until the cows come home. Its heaven!

Good luck, leigh.
Oh God, Don't throw another spanner in the works with Queensland!

We were 100% on Melb but now thinking of Sydney so are going to use this trip next week to have a quick look around the two. What initially put me off Syd was the house prices, but the work situation is pretty dire so I ahve hear, all over Oz and I think Syd might swing it for that reason. Can't wait to go - next Wed and am also flying Singapore (previously a single back packer and flew to Bombay with them and they were excelant, but this time 2 kids). So will let you know how flight goes. Have just checked the link above for SIA and the films look brill as does the kiddie programmes - Hi 5 - get them into the Ozzie accent - my 3 year old loves it!
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Kerry,

hope you have a brilliant time, let me know how you get on - you can mail me privately if you like. Oh - and take your wooleys for Melbourne - its bloody freezing!!!

Leigh.
Originally posted by kerrylm
Oh God, Don't throw another spanner in the works with Queensland!

We were 100% on Melb but now thinking of Sydney so are going to use this trip next week to have a quick look around the two. What initially put me off Syd was the house prices, but the work situation is pretty dire so I ahve hear, all over Oz and I think Syd might swing it for that reason. Can't wait to go - next Wed and am also flying Singapore (previously a single back packer and flew to Bombay with them and they were excelant, but this time 2 kids). So will let you know how flight goes. Have just checked the link above for SIA and the films look brill as does the kiddie programmes - Hi 5 - get them into the Ozzie accent - my 3 year old loves it!
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by leanda

Hi Leanda

One thing I would definitely recommend for your kids is earplugs for landing. My daughter was quite upset when we were landing as her ears were hurting, and as we had three landings to do (Singapore, Dubai & Melbourne) it got worse at each landing as she knew what was in store. There was a couple sitting behind us and they recommended buying some kids earplugs specifically designed for flying. You can buy them in Tesco over here.
Made the flight back to UK so much better for her. Just put them in an hour before landing and voila - no more sore ears

I also had a problem with her using the toilets on the plane. For some reason she doesn't like loud noises, and I didn't even think about flushing the toilet until it was too late. Now she refuses to use the toilets on the plane as they scared the hell out of her the first time she used them.

Hope all goes well with your flight.

Regards
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

With my two kids ( aged 5 and 2 ) I gave the 5 yr old some sunbursts/opal fruits to chew on and the 2 yr old her night time dummy/soother/pacifier and we had no problems at all with their ears, although we did hear a few other kids crying on the plane as we took off and landed. we find that if you keep them talking " Hey isn't this exciting 2 etc, etc then it doesn't seem to bother them.

Good luck, leigh.
Originally posted by Jaykay
Hi Leanda

One thing I would definitely recommend for your kids is earplugs for landing. My daughter was quite upset when we were landing as her ears were hurting, and as we had three landings to do (Singapore, Dubai & Melbourne) it got worse at each landing as she knew what was in store. There was a couple sitting behind us and they recommended buying some kids earplugs specifically designed for flying. You can buy them in Tesco over here.
Made the flight back to UK so much better for her. Just put them in an hour before landing and voila - no more sore ears

I also had a problem with her using the toilets on the plane. For some reason she doesn't like loud noises, and I didn't even think about flushing the toilet until it was too late. Now she refuses to use the toilets on the plane as they scared the hell out of her the first time she used them.

Hope all goes well with your flight.

Regards
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: kids and flights

Hi Cam,

we booked all our accomodation through a travel agent before we went to take the hassle out of finding it when we got there. Didn't want to be stranded at 6.30 in the morning after 22 hours on a plane without a hotel to go to! Didn't think our 5 and 2 year olds would appreciate it too much! Having said that, you could go and get your accom on spec - we saw heaps of hotels/motels with vacancies on our trip.

Good luck, leigh.
Originally posted by cam the man
Good to know we are not the only ones with these worries.

We are planning our trip next summer with our 5 and 3 and our new baby due in Dec!
V. Intersested in your comments re Singapore airlines.

We recently had night flights to Gran Canaria and the kids were fine it was my wife and I who couldn't sleep!

What about accomodation in Oz, where did you find this and did you book in advance?
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

I used the internet to book all our accomodation direct.

We went to Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane and Cairns.

Look on www.Australia.com

You can check out all sorts of accomodation from there. Alternatively go to www.google.com.au and type in accomodation in sydney & see what turns up.

Hope you have a great time.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.