Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying to Australia - best place to stopover ... Dubai or Singapore?

Flying to Australia - best place to stopover ... Dubai or Singapore?

Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:59 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Flying to Australia - best place to stopover ... Dubai or Singapore?

We have some family coming out to see us - couple in their early 60's. They're looking to do a 2 night stopover and we were curious which would be best for them in terms of exploring .... Any hints and opinions very much appreciated.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Flying to Australia - best place to stopover ... Dubai or Singapore?

I'ev never been to Dubai and don't intend to. It's just a shopping precinct in the desert. All fake.

Singapore has real history and culture as well as good shopping etc.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:20 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying to Australia - best place to stopover ... Dubai or Singapore?

Originally Posted by myrtle1
We have some family coming out to see us - couple in their early 60's. They're looking to do a 2 night stopover and we were curious which would be best for them in terms of exploring .... Any hints and opinions very much appreciated.
Singapore. Dubai is a craphole in the desert.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

deborahjg is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately Singapore. Stopped over there loads of times and love it. Felt quite safe there and loads to do and see. Stopping over there again when we return to Perth in March.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

ranj76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stopped in Dubai last year it's ok if you got kids as there are lots of waterparks. And I was in Singapore just a few weeks ago when I had a four night stop over at Xmas whilst on route to Melbourne,me and my wife we all agreed that Singapore was the best plenty of things to do there for young and old if your looking at the ages of your friends and family they will love dinning out in Singapore you can't beat it for food and the shopping is another world lots of shopping malls. The only downside wud be that it's expensive but so is Dubai.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Been to both & I'd go Singapore, although I'd pick Hong Kong over either.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:03 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Singapore.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:13 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm biased. Never fancied Dubai.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:14 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore gives you a bit of history, but relatively little to look at.

Dubai gives you quite a lot to gorp at, but little history (although there is more than you think).

Between the two, for two days of stopover, I'd actually say Dubai is more illuminating in understanding a messed-up culture (but NOT during their summer). Hong Kong is better than both, stopover-wise.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Flying to Australia - best place to stopover ... Dubai or Singapore?

New Member.

Singapore for me.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:50 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai if you want to stare at the biggest and most expensive hotels, buildings, etc, none of which you can afford.

Singapore if you want to experience the cultural history of the region at moderate prices. Also Changi airport is more user-friendly than Dubai.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:18 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with the Hong Kong suggestion.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
Been to both & I'd go Singapore, although I'd pick Hong Kong over either.
I'd say Hong Kong too.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore any day,

Civilised people, safe, well ordered, lots of history, great food and shopping but wildly expensive beer prices

You just can't go past it......well actually you could, but then you wouldn't be having the 'stop over'
Old Jan 26th 2011, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore hands down winner... Unless they have family they want to visit in dubai on the way....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.