Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying to Australia with a 3 year old

Flying to Australia with a 3 year old

Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

abertawe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying to Australia with a 3 year old

We are flying to Australia with a very active 3 year old boy. Although he is very well behaved, he has no idea what a TV is so the flight entertainment will be almost pointless for him.

So how do you entertain an active little boy for over 20 hours.

We are taking books and sticker books. We are flying with Singapore if that helps.

Cheers
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Dont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the roughDont miss the boat is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Flying to Australia with a 3 year old

It can be traumatic keeping a childs attention on a 3 hour flight let alone to Aus.. Good luck..
Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abertawe
We are flying to Australia with a very active 3 year old boy. Although he is very well behaved, he has no idea what a TV is so the flight entertainment will be almost pointless for him.

We are taking books and sticker books. We are flying with Singapore if that helps.

Cheers

I'd say a 3 year olds first encounter with a TV /game consul might prove more popular than you think

Once your up to several hours with 12 to go in a 15 X 30 inch space you may well consider it too.

Other than that I think you might need some very patient fellow passengers and airline staff.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough

You may be pleasantly surprised, mine slept a big portion of the flight.
I would take like you say sticker books, drawing stuff, books and a few new toys that he has never seen before and that should keep his attention for a while. I travelled over here with a 3 year old boy (and 3 other older ones) and he played a long time with his cars as well. But he did watch the in flight entertainment, kids films, kids cartoon channel etc and that kept him amused for a while too.

Good luck!!!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

nikki75 will become famous soon enoughnikki75 will become famous soon enough

Cheers
Well, I don't have kids, but I did fly with Singapore Airlines to Australia not long ago. And I have to say that the flight attendants are absolutely amazing. There were lots of families with kids on board and the flight attendants were most helpful to the parents, willing to do just about anything to help out and make things easier. You could just tell they loved kids! And I have to say none of the kids looked even slightly bored

Also, if you are going through Singapore, Changi is an amazing airport! If your stop over is long enough, you can take your son to the swimming pool in the transit area. A really nice break for everyone! If not, there are play areas throughout the airport. And if you have lots of time you can take a free city tour. The transit area also has a hotel, shower facilities, a movie theatre, free internet, massages, tons of shopping (not expensive either), plenty of food places.... ok, I thought Singapore Airlines and Changi were amazing!

Also when my friend took her 3 year old to China, she bought her daughter a new game/toy, but didn't show or give it to her till on the flight. The kid was so excited, that's all she played with.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

We also brought pj's and got our just 3yr old son changed into them when it was time to sleep. He also liked sleeping with a cellular blanket so doing these sleep routine activities got him to settle down. Our son was very interested in everything that was going on and a few nice people were happy to play beep-po with him over the seats so it was actually less stressful than anticipated.

All the best.
Caroline
Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:51 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Are you very against strong drugs?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:00 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Are you very against strong drugs?
LMAO.

I'm guessing if TV is out then Valium is way, way off the list.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:02 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
LMAO.

I'm guessing if TV is out then Valium is way, way off the list.
Please for the love of your fellow passengers........
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:17 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Please for the love of your fellow passengers........
Sorry.

I thought you were joking.

Don't worry, we've flown to Australia and back and then back to Australia before our boy reached 12 months old.

Sleep is the key.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:19 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Sorry.

I thought you were joking.

Don't worry, we've flown to Australia and back and then back to Australia before our boy reached 12 months old.

Sleep is the key.
I am joking. We flew with our 8 month old. Slept all the way. Now he is a difficult 2 year old, I think the peace factor may have changed.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 5:23 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

I am joking. We flew with our 8 month old. Slept all the way. Now he is a difficult 2 year old, I think the peace factor may have changed.
When we fly again we're going with Singapore, on the A380, first-class so that we have somewhere to send him when we "send him to his bedroom", each time he is naughty.

I wish!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

darrellandsarah will become famous soon enoughdarrellandsarah will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nikki75
Well, I don't have kids, but I did fly with Singapore Airlines to Australia not long ago. And I have to say that the flight attendants are absolutely amazing. There were lots of families with kids on board and the flight attendants were most helpful to the parents, willing to do just about anything to help out and make things easier. You could just tell they loved kids! And I have to say none of the kids looked even slightly bored

Also, if you are going through Singapore, Changi is an amazing airport! If your stop over is long enough, you can take your son to the swimming pool in the transit area. A really nice break for everyone! If not, there are play areas throughout the airport. And if you have lots of time you can take a free city tour. The transit area also has a hotel, shower facilities, a movie theatre, free internet, massages, tons of shopping (not expensive either), plenty of food places.... ok, I thought Singapore Airlines and Changi were amazing!

Also when my friend took her 3 year old to China, she bought her daughter a new game/toy, but didn't show or give it to her till on the flight. The kid was so excited, that's all she played with.

Hope this helps!
youv,e just made my day as where flying out to brissy on the 14thoct with singapore airlines to changi on the a380.i,m actually looking forward to the flight though my 2 kids aren,t
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future

we found a pressie for good behavior ever 2 hours worked well
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:29 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We find that our in 3 yr old does not play with any of the toys we take her on flights. She is too interested in what is going on. She sleeps well on flights.

We are taking her Swimming at singapore so she gets plenty of exercise to hopefully help tire her out when we board for brisbane. Look at the Transit hotel at Singapore and the info for transit passengers there is loads to do and childrens playgrounds in each terminal.

I certainly wont be drugging her. I was suprised how easy she could be on long haul flights and looking after them makes the time go way quicker for you.

Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.