Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flying to Australia with an 17 month old... advice please!

Flying to Australia with an 17 month old... advice please!

Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying to Australia with an 17 month old... advice please!

Hi everyone.. hopefully I can find someone who can give me some advice that i am able to pass on to my friends!

How does everyone manage with a toddler who is not old enough to be entertained , but is old enough to want to walk around and not sit still for very long?

My friends want to come out to visit me and old bloke but don't know anyone who has flown long distance with a baby (well.. toddler!)...

Any advice?? Anything to avoid???

Thanks..

Em x
Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying to Australia with an 17 month old... advice please!

Tixylix.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sr71
Tixylix.
is that advice or to be avoided

Em x
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Well seriously we did use it, but he did have a small cough at the time. It is supposed to make them a little bit drowsy.

Best advice is to leave the UK on an evening flight. If the child has been kept up until 10-11pm then they will generally sleep the first 12 hour flight without any problems.

We've alway been lucky and he has slept most of the 2nd flight too, but we bring a couple of toys or books as well.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:29 am
Account Closed

*bump*

Thanks for that.. any one else???

Em x
Old Oct 26th 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

'we ave done it with 18 mo and then 2nd time with a 1 yo and 3 yo
Last leg is hardest as long as you take a night flight which breaks up 1st two legs.
We take many small toys / books (small ones that they have not played with or new) which we stagger as they get bored of the previous ones

It is not easy but it goes fairly quick -keeping the kids entertained also passes the time for the adults as well!!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:05 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Don't rush to get them off too sleep the moment you hit cruising alt. Relax as much as possible and it should rub off on them - versus tense up and get them tense.

Keeping them up during the day does make them tired but beware the dreaded overtiredness by which they fight sleep so much its hours before they finally drop.

I would suggest resting during the day (to ensure they are mentally rested) but try to get them to do physical walking around the airport before the flight to physically tire them out.

Don't stress about other passengers if they throw a tantrum or make a mess (airsickness or just food fight behaviour). Other parents will sympathese, and childless have no right of opinion unless its positive support to the parent.

Remember to see things through the eyes of a child - its all exciting - keep it that way - part of life experiences and builds up their social skills.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Definately go for a night flight. I was lucky in that our 2 love TV (yes I know it sounds bad but there you go). They don't get to watch too much of it at home so when they were able to watch it, they were mesmerised - May be an idea to get him more used to it. Because it's sooo boring, it's amazing what they suddenly find interesting.

Don;t fly B.A. - they are crap with kids.

We had window seats (essential) and sat on different rows with OH and daughter and me behind with son. This meant that we had a frequent change of scene and conversation with another person all the time. It gave the kids an excuse to stand up and walk between the seats and broke the boredom. It also meant that we 'shared' the little 'un out between us and had a bit of a rest when we 'got the older one. I don't know if others would agree but it worked for us.

I think you will find that it's not as bad as you think (in situations like this, it very rarely is). OH works 7 days week, 11 hour days and we found that it was actually quite nice to have 'quality time' together with us just sitting down together and being able chat.

Don't rely on aircraft food and take things that you know they'll love, just in case. Our youngest slept through mealtimes twice and was told each time that they would save his food until he awoke and each time they didn't. He was then offered crisps and biscuits for meals instead. It may be that other airlines carry healthy snacks (raisins, fruit etc, but B.A. certainly don't.

Lastly I would advise you all to put easy to put on and take off footwear. Daft moo that I am I put oldest in lace ups, me in slave sandles (3 x straps) and shoes with two straps on youngest. At airports of course these days you usually have to take shoes off (even kids) to put them through the scanner. Youngest had slept through landing twice and we had to wake him up dead grumpy and take his shoes off - not amused. Try not to worry too much