Wikiposts

Flying Ants

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 9:30 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flying Ants

Bloody things....now I need to go wash my screens....they aint flying ants no more...cos all there wings r on my screens lol
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
Has anybody experienced this.......they are amazing......usually after a few days of rain they come out.........there r thousands of them outside just now looks like it is snowing

Only thing is by morning they will all have dropped their wings and invade the house at every oportunity

The wings stuck in the screens is a bit of a pain in the arse too lol
Under certain climatic conditions, such as when the cooler climates (Brisbane) have a period of cooler weather and high humidity, when Cyclones really comes that far down the coast, then the Hunstman Spiders also grow wings and take to the air
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:35 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

My aunt is flying out in a few months.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Bordy
My aunt is flying out in a few months.

lmao well if she sticks to my screens i will kick her arse lol
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Talking Re: Flying Ants

Originally Posted by biggy
Has anybody experienced this.......they are amazing......usually after a few days of rain they come out.........there r thousands of them outside just now looks like it is snowing

Only thing is by morning they will all have dropped their wings and invade the house at every oportunity

The wings stuck in the screens is a bit of a pain in the arse too lol
In Zimbabwe they are considered a delicacy among the locals. Go down a treat fried in butter. tried it myself when I was about 6
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by bruce67
In Zimbabwe they are considered a delicacy among the locals. Go down a treat fried in butter. tried it myself when I was about 6
bloody hell I could have made a fortune there was millions of the buggers....took me 3 hours to sweep them all up
Old Dec 5th 2005, 3:06 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

They sound awfully like Termites to me. we're getting millions of them flying around in the evenings in the past week.
They usually break out after some rain in the humidity here. past week here with us we've been inundated with them outside our home in the nights breaking out from somewhere ( the trees in the bush probably - we living on top of a bush), attracted to the lights outside our home

when we had termites breaking out of the window frames a few years back in a house that we were renting - that was also after the rains.

Flying ants do not drop their wings very easily, but termites do.
The flying ants I'm getting flying around outside our property and dropping their wings at the moment are most definitely flying termites .A lot of people commonly do mistake termites for flying ants
.................................................. ..................................................

"Ants: The body has a distinct waist (Figure 7). The fore wings are larger than the hind wings but are about the same length or slightly longer than the body, with clearly defined dark veins. Winged ants do not readily shed their wings. "
Figure 7. Winged ant

"Termites: The body is without a distinct waist (Figure 8). The wings are of similar length and are much longer than the body, with a fine, indistinct pattern of veins. Flying termites are usually golden brown, brown or black and readily shed their wings. "

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/forestry/5015.html