flying

Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:50 pm
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all
Smile flying

This is probbaly going to sound like a crazy question but hopefully sommeone can help me.
I am moving over to Perth in Oct and i am Sh**e scared of flying
Just came back from Paris and my wife said i was a nightmare and that was only one and a half hours.
i have to agree with her as the flights to perth are 19 hours
I have tried breathing exersises etc but dotn know what to do only thing i can think of is drink a bottle of vodka and take some speeling tablets,
Or get some of that milk BA had in the A Team lol.

If anyone can help or advise i would appreacite it.

No jokers please as i am worrying about the flight already and its 6 months away

Mick
Old Apr 7th 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice
Default Re: flying

Originally Posted by mickpower75
This is probbaly going to sound like a crazy question but hopefully sommeone can help me.
I am moving over to Perth in Oct and i am Sh**e scared of flying
Just came back from Paris and my wife said i was a nightmare and that was only one and a half hours.
i have to agree with her as the flights to perth are 19 hours
I have tried breathing exersises etc but dotn know what to do only thing i can think of is drink a bottle of vodka and take some speeling tablets,
Or get some of that milk BA had in the A Team lol.

If anyone can help or advise i would appreacite it.

No jokers please as i am worrying about the flight already and its 6 months away

Mick
First thing is stay off the vodka
Old Apr 7th 2009, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I know exactly what you mean as I'm a soooo bad on planes (I've been known to rock back and forth chanting "it will be ok"!).

It has helped me with travelling with kids as I am determined to try to keep calm as I don't want to pass it on to them. I have a friend who won't fly and as such has only ever been to France! If we let our phobias get worse, it will stop us doing the things we want to do; are you prepared to stay in Oz for ever when you get there?

As you know the in-flight entertainment is of course really good nowadays which is a big help. I flew to Korea 11 years ago and there was nothing, just the sound of me panting!

I do now just think that what will be will be and with there being so many planes in the sky, why on earth would it be us that will get problems? I also found that with the flight being so bloody long. With 2 x young kids and me hyperventilating I quite quickly lost the will to panic and it did help me - good old exhaustion eh?

There really isn't anything I can say. Some people find meditation good, others, hypnotherapy, and there are lots of people who swear by a fear of flying course (you can get them at lots of airports) which has completely cured them. It really is a case of what floats your boat.

I'm sure others will be along with their remedies, hopefully some of which will help.
Very best of luck
Lorraine
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:08 pm
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all
Smile Re: flying

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I know exactly what you mean as I'm a soooo bad on planes (I've been known to rock back and forth chanting "it will be ok"!).

It has helped me with travelling with kids as I am determined to try to keep calm as I don't want to pass it on to them. I have a friend who won't fly and as such has only ever been to France! If we let our phobias get worse, it will stop us doing the things we want to do; are you prepared to stay in Oz for ever when you get there?

As you know the in-flight entertainment is of course really good nowadays which is a big help. I flew to Korea 11 years ago and there was nothing, just the sound of me panting!

I do now just think that what will be will be and with there being so many planes in the sky, why on earth would it be us that will get problems? I also found that with the flight being so bloody long. With 2 x young kids and me hyperventilating I quite quickly lost the will to panic and it did help me - good old exhaustion eh?

There really isn't anything I can say. Some people find meditation good, others, hypnotherapy, and there are lots of people who swear by a fear of flying course (you can get them at lots of airports) which has completely cured them. It really is a case of what floats your boat.

I'm sure others will be along with their remedies, hopefully some of which will help.
Very best of luck
Lorraine
I am exactly the same with the hyperventilating.
I dont know why ,when we go anywere i try to have a few beers down my neck but 19 hours is a long time to stay drunk even for me.
i think i will go to the doctors and try to get some valium lol

thanks for your advice anyway

think i wi ll need to just go with the flow.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

thebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant future

i am the same - when we flew to Melbourne in Feb i made sure i got some Diazepam from my GP as this really helps you to relax and feel quite chilled. I would definately use it again...

also, if you can't sleep on planes then i can highly recommend Zopicol (i think that's it's name) as this knocked me out a treat
Old Apr 7th 2009, 3:43 pm
MickyBhoy

Originally Posted by thebooys
i am the same - when we flew to Melbourne in Feb i made sure i got some Diazepam from my GP as this really helps you to relax and feel quite chilled. I would definately use it again...

also, if you can't sleep on planes then i can highly recommend Zopicol (i think that's it's name) as this knocked me out a treat
Diazepam sounds good will give the Doctor a try for them.
but will need to have some sense about me as i have an eight year ols and a one year old.
I bet the Mrs will be really happy if i am lying chilled out and the kids are going wild LOL.

cheers

Mick
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone does go down the alcohol/pills route, try not to do to go overboard before getting on the plane - specifically don't take the pills before getting onbaord. I've heard stories of people taking their pills at the gate and then the airline announcing a delay of a few hours - a few hours you may spend comatose unable to stand up!

The alcohol route probably isn't the best anyway!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:01 pm
Banned

fred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nicefred uk is just really nice

Alcohol, drugs and aircraft are not a good combination.
I'm lucky, I want to get into the air on anything except an Indonesian aircraft but I know that some are scared out of their minds at the thought of anything higher than a step ladder.
I can't offer any real advice but suggest that the self help book/CD route would be a waste of time.
The only time I've ever come across this was a friend who was fearful of flying but won a trial flight in a Cessna over Sheffield. After much "you lucky bastard" from me and a bit of "if you don't, I'll have it" he went and never looked back.
Now he loves getting aloft.
I'm guessing the best way is to talk to your doctor. Fair chance he can suggest something even if it ends up being sleeping pills.
Whatever happens, best of luck.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

propercornish is just really nicepropercornish is just really nicepropercornish is just really nicepropercornish is just really nicepropercornish is just really nicepropercornish is just really nicepropercornish is just really nicepropercornish is just really nicepropercornish is just really nicepropercornish is just really nice

We flew with Royal Brunei last October from Heathrow to Perth and this was the first time our family has ever flown. It was a very long, tiring flight. To be honest I was s...t scared at take off, I think I nearly broke hubby's hand off! All in all it was nothing to worry about. It was awesome looking out the window and see the sun rise so was the first view of Austalia we have some great pictures. It may be an idea for you to write a diary whilst on the flight as this helps take your mind off it and its also nice to read it when you've settled in over here.

Try not to worry too much just keep thinking whats waiting for you at the end of the flight. Good luck Heather
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a doctor to prescribe some Ativan or Xanax - take it 45-60 minutes before the flight and you should be fine. But make sure you don't drink heavily with these, it amplifies the effects.

Avoid any sleeping pills though.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by propercornish
We flew with Royal Brunei last October from Heathrow to Perth and this was the first time our family has ever flown. It was a very long, tiring flight. To be honest I was s...t scared at take off, I think I nearly broke hubby's hand off! All in all it was nothing to worry about. It was awesome looking out the window and see the sun rise so was the first view of Austalia we have some great pictures. It may be an idea for you to write a diary whilst on the flight as this helps take your mind off it and its also nice to read it when you've settled in over here.

Try not to worry too much just keep thinking whats waiting for you at the end of the flight. Good luck Heather

I think hes a bit worse than this!!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 12:11 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Get a doctor to prescribe some Ativan or Xanax - take it 45-60 minutes before the flight and you should be fine. But make sure you don't drink heavily with these, it amplifies the effects.

Avoid any sleeping pills though.
It's merely a state of mind. What you have to do is realise that you are in a state of suspended existence for the duration of your flight and deal with it. It's a bit like Schrodinger's cat, although your chances are a bit better. Bottom line is once you are in the air your are either going to crash and die or you are not going to crash and die. You have no control over your fate at this point so why worry about it?

Your problem is that you are psychologically unable to allow someone else to control your survival. This is perfectly natural, but understanding this and giving up control that you can't have anyway is the solution.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:18 am
Just Joined

zhoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

This is exactly what I was frightened of before our fligt to OZ... What I did was to drink 3 little bottles of red wine ( each 150 ml I think ) half an hour after take-off each 20 minutes... Then I fall asleep deep until my hubby woke me up for lunch... another one with lunch! and I wake up when plane landed!

I dont suggest vodka cause it may cause you headache instead of a good sleep...

Cheers!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:26 am
Just Joined

zhoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burbage
It's merely a state of mind. What you have to do is realise that you are in a state of suspended existence for the duration of your flight and deal with it. It's a bit like Schrodinger's cat, although your chances are a bit better. Bottom line is once you are in the air your are either going to crash and die or you are not going to crash and die. You have no control over your fate at this point so why worry about it?

Agree... Just try to enjoy the onboard entertainments... Look at it from a different angle... You and all the passengers are on the same boat!
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:12 am
MickyBhoy

Smile Re: flying

Thanks all for your suggestions i will take them on board.
No Pun intended.
I think i will just have to get on with it as my 8 year old thinks i am hilarious when taking of.

Cheers
Mick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.