Reload this Page >

Flying with 40kgs from Northern Ireland

Flying with 40kgs from Northern Ireland

Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

elect42 is on a distinguished road
Default Flying with 40kgs from Northern Ireland

Hi

Trying to book flights, well actually found a few with singapore airlines. We are a family of four, two young children 9 and 18 months. Our contents of our house is being shipped approx 4 weeks before we migrate to Perth.

Due to the fact that we will basically have nothing here back in Northern Ireland we were looking to up our KG's to 40 as a couple airlines do this ie. singapore.

Our problem is singapore airlines allow this on a unused Migrant PR visa, but our connection flight from Belfast to London is with BMI, I phoned singapore and they said if its booked all through them we should have no problems but best to check with BMI, so I did, theyre response was best to book through a travel agent to get your luggage pushed right through as the person on the phone was unsure that it will go through as they really only allow 20kgs.

Travel agent says no cant travel BMI 40kgs

So how does anyone travel with the quota of 40kgs from Northern Ireland?? Or has anyone did this??
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying with 40kgs from Northern Ireland

Originally Posted by elect42
Hi

Trying to book flights, well actually found a few with singapore airlines. We are a family of four, two young children 9 and 18 months. Our contents of our house is being shipped approx 4 weeks before we migrate to Perth.

Due to the fact that we will basically have nothing here back in Northern Ireland we were looking to up our KG's to 40 as a couple airlines do this ie. singapore.

Our problem is singapore airlines allow this on a unused Migrant PR visa, but our connection flight from Belfast to London is with BMI, I phoned singapore and they said if its booked all through them we should have no problems but best to check with BMI, so I did, theyre response was best to book through a travel agent to get your luggage pushed right through as the person on the phone was unsure that it will go through as they really only allow 20kgs.

Travel agent says no cant travel BMI 40kgs

So how does anyone travel with the quota of 40kgs from Northern Ireland?? Or has anyone did this??
Email bmi, get the baggage thing in writing then book the flight and take the email to the airport.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

itsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura about

BMI stung us for £220 in excess baggage charges from Belfast, we had 80kg between 3 of us, and the jobsworth on the check in desk couldn't be budged... It would have been cheaper for us to buy another seat!!! and then had all our carefully-packed-to-maximise-use-of-space hand luggage pulled apart by security... yeah by the time I left Belfast I couldn't have cared if I never saw it again.

For some reason when we booked our flights we weren't able to book from Belfast all the way through and had to do the BMI one as a separate flight, so I know that added to the problem. I don't know anyone who has managed to take 40kg from Belfast to be honest, your best bet is to try emailing them and getting it in writing as Pollyanna has said.

Who are you shipping your belongings with? We went with McGimpsey's and they allowed us to add some extra boxes just before the shipment left, we were leaving in Winter, so we put all our surplus winter clothes in at this stage and just made do with what we had - meant we only had a couple of heavy clothing items. And then packed and repacked our clothes, getting more and more rutheless! We left so much stuff behind, but if you ask any expat they will tell you a similar story!

Good luck Let us know how you get on!
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:15 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itsmylife
BMI stung us for £220 in excess baggage charges from Belfast, we had 80kg between 3 of us, and the jobsworth on the check in desk couldn't be budged... It would have been cheaper for us to buy another seat!!! and then had all our carefully-packed-to-maximise-use-of-space hand luggage pulled apart by security... yeah by the time I left Belfast I couldn't have cared if I never saw it again.

For some reason when we booked our flights we weren't able to book from Belfast all the way through and had to do the BMI one as a separate flight, so I know that added to the problem. I don't know anyone who has managed to take 40kg from Belfast to be honest, your best bet is to try emailing them and getting it in writing as Pollyanna has said.
That was a very big part of the problem. You entered into a seperate contract with bmi giving you a certain baggage allowance...end of story.

bmi isn't obliged to give you any extra baggage allowance just because Singapore Airlines may decide to. The only solution I can see is that you get Singapore Airlines to ticket the itinerary and enter the baggage allowance as 40kg for all sectors...I'm not sure how technically possible that is but people have talked before about making SQ reservations with the increased allowance shown on the itinerary - SQ may not be prepared to do that for bmi though. Or yes, get bmi to approve in writing...I'm not sure why they would do that though.

Important to note also that if you do buy a seperate ticket on bmi they will no longer check your bags through to the final destination so you'll have to collect them at LHR and get yourself and bags over to T3.

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/usef...-check-in.aspx
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:28 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Or take the ferry to Liverpool, train to the airport to pick up the SQ flight.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

itsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I know that, still reserving the right to feel grumpy about the £220 though... Just meant it in a "don't take anything for granted with BMI" kind of way...
Old Jan 19th 2012, 10:49 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itsmylife
Yeah I know that, still reserving the right to feel grumpy about the £220 though... Just meant it in a "don't take anything for granted with BMI" kind of way...
Fair enough...not really fair to label the check in staff jobsworths though...the weight of the bags is all recorded, ultimately they could be held accountable for giving away free weight. So don't take anything for granted with any airline when it comes to bartering over baggage over your agreed allowance.