Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flueless Gas Heaters

Flueless Gas Heaters

Old May 18th 2009, 7:14 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flueless Gas Heaters

The mrs has turned up with one of these today on a "ask no questions" basis.

Only thing it has no instructions. Operating it seems pretty straight forward, but whats the deal with installing it?
Is it just a case of connecting it to the gas supply, plug in the electric cable and away you go?
Sorry if I sound a bit thick on this one but I'd rather not take the roof off the house by doing something daft
Old May 18th 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flueless Gas Heaters

Are you sure you want to use one of these??? You do know that these things vent the gas fumes into the room? This is legal in Aus but very unhealthy (and there are moves afoot to outlaw these things).

Personally, I'd take it back and buy an electric fire.
Old May 18th 2009, 7:27 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Are you sure you want to use one of these??? You do know that these things vent the gas fumes into the room? This is legal in Aus but very unhealthy (and there are moves afoot to outlaw these things).

Personally, I'd take it back and buy an electric fire.
Yep I am aware about the gas fumes. The plan was just to run it for an hour or so in the evening to take the chill off the house.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:19 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
Yep I am aware about the gas fumes. The plan was just to run it for an hour or so in the evening to take the chill off the house.
We have one and Mr. Rosscov is a gasfitter. We know they are illegal in the UK but the houses there are much better insulated. If, like us you have gaps under doors you could push an elephant thru, (maybe slight exaggeration) then you'll probably survive!! However, our rooms are large in a sort of open plan stylee. Probably not a good idea in a confined space. We used ours every evening, all evening, last winter and it is currently raging away as I type. I wouldn't be without it.
Old May 18th 2009, 8:33 am
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
We have one and Mr. Rosscov is a gasfitter. We know they are illegal in the UK but the houses there are much better insulated. If, like us you have gaps under doors you could push an elephant thru, (maybe slight exaggeration) then you'll probably survive!! However, our rooms are large in a sort of open plan stylee. Probably not a good idea in a confined space. We used ours every evening, all evening, last winter and it is currently raging away as I type. I wouldn't be without it.
Plan on running it in the big open plan area and yep we do have gaps under all the doors (built so well these aussie houses!)

So are they easy to install? Is it just a case of connecting it to the gas and electricity supply?
Old May 18th 2009, 8:42 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Plan on running it in the big open plan area and yep we do have gaps under all the doors (built so well these aussie houses!)

So are they easy to install? Is it just a case of connecting it to the gas and electricity supply?
Mr. Rosscov's back in the UK at the moment so not able to offer his professional advice but from memory and what I can see, the hose is connected through the wall to an outside gas supply and there is an electric cable that you plug in to power the fan, then away you go. You will of course need a licensed gasfitter to do the deed.
Old May 18th 2009, 9:08 am
Cad and bounder

Mr. Rosscov's back in the UK at the moment so not able to offer his professional advice but from memory and what I can see, the hose is connected through the wall to an outside gas supply and there is an electric cable that you plug in to power the fan, then away you go. You will of course need a licensed gasfitter to do the deed.
Nice one for that

Look out if your anywhere near Port Kennedy in WA, I have a habit of being a bit Frank Spencer with stuff like this, so when the sun goes down in a bit and its time to crank the thing up, it could see me hurtling through the air in the direction of Darwin
Old May 18th 2009, 9:21 am
locked in the attic

Nice one for that

Look out if your anywhere near Port Kennedy in WA, I have a habit of being a bit Frank Spencer with stuff like this, so when the sun goes down in a bit and its time to crank the thing up, it could see me hurtling through the air in the direction of Darwin

I'm not advising you do it yourself if you're not qualified.

Thank god I'm in Adelaide!
Old May 18th 2009, 9:22 am
Cad and bounder

I'm not advising you do it yourself if you're not qualified.

Thank god I'm in Adelaide!
I'll give you a wave as I pass
Old May 18th 2009, 9:27 am
locked in the attic

I'll give you a wave as I pass
I'm off to put my ski helmet on.
Old May 18th 2009, 9:29 am
Cad and bounder

I'm off to put my ski helmet on.
Lookout
Old May 18th 2009, 9:36 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

You should have a bayonet gas connection to plug the heater in to.
Usually chrome and right angled. The hose on the heater pushes in then twists to lock.
Plug in the mains and away you go.
Also near these bayonets there should be a vent in the wall.
If you do not have one of these you will have to get one installed by a professional.
We run ours all evening in winter (not cold enough yet) and have no issues.

Remember the fumes should be carbon dioxide and water so NO odour. If you out it in and you smell gas do not use it. Also though a problem heater can produce carbon monoxide which as well as being fatal if inhaled in sufficient quantity is also odourless. Most modern heaters have detectors built in to them which will cut them out if they arent working properly.
If you have any doubt you can buy a CO detector from Bunnings.

Personally I wouldn't recommend buying a second hand heater from unknown sources as although unlikely theer could be very serious consequences.
Old May 18th 2009, 9:56 am
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by EvannTel
You should have a bayonet gas connection to plug the heater in to.
Usually chrome and right angled. The hose on the heater pushes in then twists to lock.
Plug in the mains and away you go.
Also near these bayonets there should be a vent in the wall.
If you do not have one of these you will have to get one installed by a professional.
We run ours all evening in winter (not cold enough yet) and have no issues.

Remember the fumes should be carbon dioxide and water so NO odour. If you out it in and you smell gas do not use it. Also though a problem heater can produce carbon monoxide which as well as being fatal if inhaled in sufficient quantity is also odourless. Most modern heaters have detectors built in to them which will cut them out if they arent working properly.
If you have any doubt you can buy a CO detector from Bunnings.

Personally I wouldn't recommend buying a second hand heater from unknown sources as although unlikely theer could be very serious consequences.
Yep have the bayonet fitting coming out the wall plus have the air vents aswell. The heater is brand new and still wrapped in celophane just minus the instruction booklet. I may just buy a Carbon Monoxide detector from Bunnings for extra piece of mind
Old May 18th 2009, 1:36 pm
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Nice one for that

omg we're in Secret Harbour - if you do hurtle can you go north please
Old May 18th 2009, 1:43 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

The mrs has turned up with one of these today on a "ask no questions" basis.

Only thing it has no instructions. Operating it seems pretty straight forward, but whats the deal with installing it?
Is it just a case of connecting it to the gas supply, plug in the electric cable and away you go?
Sorry if I sound a bit thick on this one but I'd rather not take the roof off the house by doing something daft
Is this similar the ventless gas logs that are popular here in the US?