Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flu jab in WA for kids aged 18months + 3yrs old

Flu jab in WA for kids aged 18months + 3yrs old

Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Flu jab in WA for kids aged 18months + 3yrs old

Hi there,

We moved out in March to WA. Obviously we have been reading the press about the 3 children that died when they got a secondary virus / bacterial infection at the same time as flu.

Can anyone explain to me why the kids here have the flu jab yet in the UK they don't. I don't know whether they should have the jabs or not.

I know a lot of mums who have now had the jab because there kids have asthma but mine don't suffer with this so is it still needed or not?

Cheers J
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:22 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flu jab in WA for kids aged 18months + 3yrs old

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi there,

We moved out in March to WA. Obviously we have been reading the press about the 3 children that died when they got a secondary virus / bacterial infection at the same time as flu.

Can anyone explain to me why the kids here have the flu jab yet in the UK they don't. I don't know whether they should have the jabs or not.

I know a lot of mums who have now had the jab because there kids have asthma but mine don't suffer with this so is it still needed or not?

Cheers J
hi,
We have been in undated with parents worrying regarding this awful thing that happened last week.- I am a nurse at a GP practice
Flu vaccinations are available for children in UK and Oz if the child has a chronic condition such as Asthma or Diabetes etc. The flu vaccination would have been free of charge in Uk (if I remember rightly) but here is is only available to persons under 65 on prescription (apart form Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders). Medicare only provide the flu vaccine free of charge to people over 65...except Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders.
Usually the uptake here in Oz has been minimal for young children, but some adults obviously choose to have it.
This week I have been administering the flu vaccine (some in 1/2 doses due to age) to children as young as 15 months of age.
Visit your GP and have a chat with him/ her to discuss the options. I would say that as a rule if a child and his/ her family are fit and healthy then a flu vaccine isnt really necessary....its up to you really- your GP will probably give you a script for a flu vaccine if you insist.
BUT understandably parents are very worried and have been bringing children in for checks even if the child has only had a 'cold'....HTH
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by yvsie
hi,
We have been in undated with parents worrying regarding this awful thing that happened last week.- I am a nurse at a GP practice
Flu vaccinations are available for children in UK and Oz if the child has a chronic condition such as Asthma or Diabetes etc. The flu vaccination would have been free of charge in Uk (if I remember rightly) but here is is only available to persons under 65 on prescription (apart form Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders). Medicare only provide the flu vaccine free of charge to people over 65...except Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders.
Usually the uptake here in Oz has been minimal for young children, but some adults obviously choose to have it.
This week I have been administering the flu vaccine (some in 1/2 doses due to age) to children as young as 15 months of age.
Visit your GP and have a chat with him/ her to discuss the options. I would say that as a rule if a child and his/ her family are fit and healthy then a flu vaccine isnt really necessary....its up to you really- your GP will probably give you a script for a flu vaccine if you insist.
BUT understandably parents are very worried and have been bringing children in for checks even if the child has only had a 'cold'....HTH
Thanks that explains it. Kiddies have just had one round of catch up jabs (hib and something else) and have been slightly off colour but just picking back up now (just in time for the next round!). Perhaps I should have waited for spring to start it. Not sure if that makes a difference. Will try and keep an extra eye out after the next lot as it does seem to knock them a bit.

The 2 friends that gave there asthmatic kids the flu jab seemed to have reactions to. 1 vomited a couple of hours later and the other ended up in hospital with a temp of over 40. Who knows if it was the jabs or not but doesn't sound that pleasant. I guess any parent with a sick child at the moment will be feeling a bit anxious.

Thanks for the advice.

J
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yvsie
hi,
Hi,

I understood that it was a secondary bacterial infection that killed these poor children and not the flu. Given that the pneumococcal vaccine Prevenar is part of the childhood immunisation program here, surely most kids would have some kind of protection already and, as you imply, would not really be at risk from the flu itself?

Mark
Old Jul 13th 2007, 12:52 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbike
Hi,

I understood that it was a secondary bacterial infection that killed these poor children and not the flu. Given that the pneumococcal vaccine Prevenar is part of the childhood immunisation program here, surely most kids would have some kind of protection already and, as you imply, would not really be at risk from the flu itself?

Mark
pneumococcal infection is different- but yes they will have some protection obviously against that.
Just a reminder too- the recommendation also is that children under 6 years of age will require 2 flu vaccinations 1 month apart in order to have full protection- we are hoping that parents dont forget that bit- maybe they will though once the scare is over.
Oh and also remember that there are only usually 3 strains of flu virus in the vaccine so you can be unlucky and catch a different strain!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:03 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you recommed getting the flu jab for your kids or not?? most people ive spoken too havent but its hard too know what to do for the best.

kezx
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:22 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kez81
Would you recommed getting the flu jab for your kids or not?? most people ive spoken too havent but its hard too know what to do for the best.

kezx
I am not bothering with mine. Mine are generally healthy children, no asthma etc. A nurse friend of mine told me that unless your kids are prone to chest infections or any other breathing related illness then to not bother.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 2:05 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am not bothering with mine. Mine are generally healthy children, no asthma etc. A nurse friend of mine told me that unless your kids are prone to chest infections or any other breathing related illness then to not bother.
My daughter hasnt got asthma or anything like that either so im not going to bother , thanks for the info!!

kezx