Reload this Page >

Flooring - Timber VS Tiles/Carpets

Flooring - Timber VS Tiles/Carpets

Old Mar 6th 2007, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

rarejunk_in is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flooring - Timber VS Tiles/Carpets

HI,

I'm going to start building a house in stanhope gardens, NSW. Mirvac will be building this single storey house for us. They do only tiles & carpets for the flooring, But I was thinking timber would be better.

Any pros & cons with timber flooring, wud it cost a lot more than the standards tiles?

Open to any opinions/suggestions..

Cheers,
RJ
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:20 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flooring - Timber VS Tiles/Carpets

Originally Posted by rarejunk_in
HI,

I'm going to start building a house in stanhope gardens, NSW. Mirvac will be building this single storey house for us. They do only tiles & carpets for the flooring, But I was thinking timber would be better.

Any pros & cons with timber flooring, wud it cost a lot more than the standards tiles?

Cheers,
RJ
nice timber flooring $7 a lineal metre where we are but prob cheaper in sydney
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:54 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be more inclined to go for the wooden floors as well, tiles in the kitchen of course but wood in living areas and carpet in bedrooms.
we had and still have wooden floors in the bedrooms/ living areas, love it in the living areas but it drives me mad in the bedrooms. the wooden floors in living areas will still be cool in summer but not freezing in winter as tiles would be.

i tnk (imho) that wood in the bedroom is quite a cold environment (and you can hear the cockies scuttling about )

hope this helps (bet it doesn't)

Last edited by louise4; Mar 7th 2007 at 6:57 am.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

rarejunk_in is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, that was really helpful.

I've decided on timber for living areas, tiles for kitchen & wet areas, but not sure for the bedrooms.

Wifey likes bedrooms with timber, but i'm worried it might get cold in the sydney winters. So still cant decide between timber & carpet for the bedrooms.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

flower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really niceflower33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by rarejunk_in
HI,

Cheers,
RJ
Hi, the only issue with the wooden flooring is that it scratches, you need to put down rugs etc to ensure that your furniture does not damage the floor. But i do like it, its cool in the summer and i agree not as cold as tiles, looks great too.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

jacksoo is on a distinguished road

If you have pets don't go for dark wood. We have a cat & I can never keep the floor clean with all her bloody cat hair.

We had light wood floors in California & they were great.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:56 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Have a look at vinyl.

No, don't laugh, I don't mean the lovely green 70's rolled vinyl in everyones parents place, but the vinyl planking you can get that lis laid over hardboard and looks exactly like wood (only cheaper). Look at Armstrong and Floorworks as good ranges. It's very hard wearing and normally has between a 12 and 20 year guarantee. I was amazed how vinyl had advanced since those days' in the 70's!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:26 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

If it were down to choice I'd have polished timber flooring throughout the house, only using tiles in the wet areas. I hate carpet it's dirty, collects dust and pollen making it a bad choice for my asthmatic wife, stains easily and is just too warm here in QLD Summers.
We have tiles all through the house inc the bedrooms as timber flooring was just too far over our budget. They are cooler in the Winter months but we just wear a pair of socks. They make keeping the house clean a doddle a quick brush over and a wash once a week keeps them clean and shiny.
I'd rather have had polished hardwood though