Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Floods in NSW & Gold Coast

Floods in NSW & Gold Coast

Old Jul 4th 2005, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Floods in NSW & Gold Coast

Anyone been affected by the Floods or know someone who has been?

There hasn't been much coverage in the UK but having linked to the 'Sydney Morning Herald' and read the damage done my sympathies go out you all if you have been affected.

I was actually on the Gold Coast at Easter!

Steve J
Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Floods in NSW & Gold Coast

I don't know anyone who has been affected. I am trying to find out as much as possible as we fly out to the gold coast on Saturday and am slightly worried what I will be arriving to.

Louise :scared:

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Anyone been affected by the Floods or know someone who has been?

There hasn't been much coverage in the UK but having linked to the 'Sydney Morning Herald' and read the damage done my sympathies go out you all if you have been affected.

I was actually on the Gold Coast at Easter!

Steve J
Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:17 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

My mum managed to call me in the middle of one of the storms last week, from her home in Ashmore on the GC. You could hear the rain coming down it was so loud! Her back yard backs on to a park & she said the pool was like a waterfall into the park! Luckily, she has just loads of work done on the house, which included a new higher retaining wall at the fron & sides of the house.... the house is at the bottom of a slope so it was imperative for conditions like this....!

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, her next door neighbours haven't got this sort of protection for their home, and the water was rushing down the driveway (ie. down the slope) & into their house....... when she called me it was 5am & next door were up to their knees in rainwater.... in the lounge room!!! Ouch!:scared:
Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise
I don't know anyone who has been affected. I am trying to find out as much as possible as we fly out to the gold coast on Saturday and am slightly worried what I will be arriving to.

see: http://smh.com.au/

and search on floods

Steve
Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
My mum managed to call me in the middle of one of the storms last week, from her home in Ashmore on the GC. You could hear the rain coming down it was so loud! Her back yard backs on to a park & she said the pool was like a waterfall into the park! Luckily, she has just loads of work done on the house, which included a new higher retaining wall at the fron & sides of the house.... the house is at the bottom of a slope so it was imperative for conditions like this....!

Anyhow, to cut a long story short, her next door neighbours haven't got this sort of protection for their home, and the water was rushing down the driveway (ie. down the slope) & into their house....... when she called me it was 5am & next door were up to their knees in rainwater.... in the lounge room!!! Ouch!:scared:
Yes Ashmore has been affected quite badly.
see: http://smh.com.au/ and search on floods.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:28 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Yes Ashmore has been affected quite badly.
see: http://smh.com.au/ and search on floods.
can't search as you have to be a member
Old Jul 4th 2005, 11:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by louise

We have some friends staying at the Gold Coast at the moment, and they visited us at the weekend.
They arrived after the floods happened, and said they hadn't seen any real evidence of it all. We had to tell them how bad it had been, from what we had read in the paper !

Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've been down the GC twice since the floods and I've seen very little evidence of any damage, just some of the low lying fields were still flooded and a lot more rubbish (tree branches , leaves, etc) on the beaches. The worst damage I saw was the coastline walk around Burleigh Heads was closed due to landslides (this happens on average once a year). Not been to Ashmore or Crumblin but drove through Carrerea (one of the worst hit) and saw no damage except a bit more water around than usual.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

We had a lot of water in our garden and surrounding our estate, but it's mostly dried up now, some areas were hit really bad, I heard that 70 have been made homless on the Gold Coast, and a few cars were washed away, 1 young couple died after there 4x4 was washed away, which is really sad, its been in the local papers, they had only moved here 4 weeks ago. I can verify that today the sun is shining again, not much sign of the storms left.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:32 am
The Pork Pie man!

Wenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant futureWenz has a brilliant future

On the face of it you wouldn't know that the Gold Coast was affected at all.
Really feel for those that did get it bad though.

Our Club house at Musgrave Soccer was flooded out a metre high apparently.
But last night I played soccer on the pitches next to it and they were dry as a bone again. The Good 'ol Gold Coast Sunshine sure has soaked a lot of it up again.

Back to paradise
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:55 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My folks (Berry, NSW) got hit pretty bad, most of the garden was shunted 20 feet sideways into the pool, driveway upped sticks and emigrated to the bottom of the road. Slightly further inland they got an insane amount of rain 16" or something similarly horrendous. Now I know why they build all the houses on stilts!