Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all
Default Re: Flippin housing market what's going on at all.

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Paula we know exactly how you feel.
We have only had ours on the market for 2 months but we have only had two viewings total time wasters.
We have decided to go out in August to validate as my hubby's work shuts down then for two weeks.
Could do without the added expense but at least the pressure will be off us.
The market really is slow never thought we would be in this position.
My son's the same even the teachers have asked will he be starting back in September and at this rate I think he will.
Infact dread the thought but we may even be here at Christmas.
We have dropped the price of our house but there's no way we are going to give it away we need every penny when we get over to Oz its gonna be hard enough as it is .
So moan over but believe me I am sure there are loads of us in the same situation.
I suppose we have waited this long we are all used to the wait by now.
Good Luck I am sure someone will buy your house soon,its just getting the right person through the front door at the end of the day.
HI,

Well just an update, though we will only know more on Wed.

We had a Doctor that put in an offer last month the offer was way to low, and he told us that he wouldn't be increasing it, in the meantime we've had another couple come round they to put an offer in, but still to low but higher than the Doctor's 1st offer, anyway we got a phone call last wk from the agent they've both increased there offer's still bellow our bottom line, so the agent went back told them both our bottom line price and the second couple came back on Thursday evening for a second viewing, said they really really like it and will see if they can get enough money together to be able to buy it.

It's a buyers market for sure, we've told the agent not to send people round unless they can offer around the asking price (we've allready dropped it 20grand) like you we need every penny, but people think they can get your house for 25,45 grand less than what its up for, the cheek of some people the Doctor's second offer was 18grand under the asking price and thats after we reduced it, he wanted all my curtains light fitting and even had the cheek to ask for the sofa's, im not going to give it away, the thought of been hear at xmas is not good, but at the same time im not going to give it away only to end up worse off in OZ.

just hope the other couple that came back can get enough money together to buy it, but really they've fell in love with something thats out of there price range, really they should'nt have come looking in the 1st place if they did'nt have enough money but like all cheeky buyers at the moment they think they can get something for nothing.

Rant over.... maybe this couple will find enough money .... um and pigs might fly we will find out by Wed they tell us .
Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cantwait
HI,

Well just an update, though we will only know more on Wed.

We had a Doctor that put in an offer last month the offer was way to low, and he told us that he wouldn't be increasing it, in the meantime we've had another couple come round they to put an offer in, but still to low but higher than the Doctor's 1st offer, anyway we got a phone call last wk from the agent they've both increased there offer's still bellow our bottom line, so the agent went back told them both our bottom line price and the second couple came back on Thursday evening for a second viewing, said they really really like it and will see if they can get enough money together to be able to buy it.

It's a buyers market for sure, we've told the agent not to send people round unless they can offer around the asking price (we've allready dropped it 20grand) like you we need every penny, but people think they can get your house for 25,45 grand less than what its up for, the cheek of some people the Doctor's second offer was 18grand under the asking price and thats after we reduced it, he wanted all my curtains light fitting and even had the cheek to ask for the sofa's, im not going to give it away, the thought of been hear at xmas is not good, but at the same time im not going to give it away only to end up worse off in OZ.

just hope the other couple that came back can get enough money together to buy it, but really they've fell in love with something thats out of there price range, really they should'nt have come looking in the 1st place if they did'nt have enough money but like all cheeky buyers at the moment they think they can get something for nothing.

Rant over.... maybe this couple will find enough money .... um and pigs might fly we will find out by Wed they tell us .
Can so identify with this. we have had 30 viewings with the 31st coming around today and no offers. I think that 90% of them were either not in a position to buy or just weren't interested in buying. We have dropped the price of our property by £20K and now have a price that states 'offers in excess of' and we are not dropping below that bottom price and have informed the agents as such. We are seriously thinking about taking it off the market, waiting 6 months and then putting it on again. There is no point in just selling it and being so much worse off in Australia.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Seriously is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Can so identify with this. we have had 30 viewings with the 31st coming around today and no offers. I think that 90% of them were either not in a position to buy or just weren't interested in buying. We have dropped the price of our property by £20K and now have a price that states 'offers in excess of' and we are not dropping below that bottom price and have informed the agents as such. We are seriously thinking about taking it off the market, waiting 6 months and then putting it on again. There is no point in just selling it and being so much worse off in Australia.
You are, quite seriously, bonkers. If you think that property is going up in the next 6 months - you must be living in a different country from me. You are in the UK? Good idea, take it off the market in August - just coming up to the second buying season of the year and put it back on in February - when the market is as dead as a dodo.
Why not accept that your property is worth exactly what anyone is prepared to pay you for it? If you have it on the market for say 2 months, you've had it with a good agent who has advertised it and sent it out to interested parties - if you've had no offers it is overpriced - or the market is dead and there are no buyers about. Either way - if you want or need to sell - take a drop.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:28 am
Just Joined

ReturnVisitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cantwait
Hi everyone.

We really need some good luck Karma for Sunday, we've got a couple coming round for a second viewing, they came last Saturday and the agent rang yesterday to say they want to come back at the weekend he also said they looked at quite a lot of properties but said they liked our's the best, i cant help but get exited.

We put the house for sale 1st March, and the agent said at the time it should sell very quickly, good area, and we've got a really large plot, but over 4mths later and we are still hear, (with the visa in our hands waiting.)

Can't really bear the thought of the kids going back to school in September, my son said all the kids at school have been saying "are you not going to Australia now".

So last week we decided to drop the price not something we wanted to do but we thought it might help or save us a trip out to validate the visa at the end of the year, since we dropped it £18,000 we've had more viewing's.

The estate agent said nothing's really selling at the moment only the bargain's, last month a couple made an offer £45,000 grand under the asking price we told them were to stick the offer.

Any one else in the same boat??

Paula.
Warrington, Cheshire. Brisbane soooooon please.
Hey Paula,
I hope you got your sale through, but if not, it might be worth your while to be a bit canny. Check out what is going on with Australian house prices. (www.realestate.com.au) I know that you probably want to end with loads of cash to spend at the other end, but it is all relative, and having just come back in the other direction, Australian house prices have fallen through the floor and just keep dropping. I know your house probably means a lot to you and you may find it painful and insulting to be offered less than you feel that youve invested in it, but you may also end up with more than you need at the other end by being hard nosed about it and taking the money.

Lizz
Old Aug 14th 2005, 7:01 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ReturnVisitor
Hey Paula,
I hope you got your sale through, but if not, it might be worth your while to be a bit canny. Check out what is going on with Australian house prices. (www.realestate.com.au) I know that you probably want to end with loads of cash to spend at the other end, but it is all relative, and having just come back in the other direction, Australian house prices have fallen through the floor and just keep dropping. I know your house probably means a lot to you and you may find it painful and insulting to be offered less than you feel that youve invested in it, but you may also end up with more than you need at the other end by being hard nosed about it and taking the money.

Lizz
Wow you must be reading a different real estate site to me
Old Aug 14th 2005, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light

I know the feeling we have been on the market since November 2004 :scared: sold 3 times all fallen through one couple want it but cannot sell their place . Dropped the price twice , we live next to the quay at mudeford near Christchurch Dorset, lovely beach, immaculate house etc etc so the market seems crap everywhere . Paying bond any time now and hoping someone will buy soon if not might burn it down and get insurance money at least thats how we feel at the mo. Good luck with your 2nd viewing hope all goes well.
regards
Mark & Jo
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:13 pm
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Oh 'eck!...Our house is going on the market next week...and having read the recent threads on the subject we are not looking forward to the experience at all....we've had 5 agents round so far to value....and have been utterly astonished at the huge discrepancies in their estimates! We live in a small village outside Whitby, and all the valuers are "locals" who have been working with our market for years....and yet they still manage to produce valuations that differ wildly (by as much as £80k) on a house that friends & relatives reckon is high 200s!!!...As you can imagine we are struggling with what price to put on it!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Whitby Wanderers
Oh 'eck!...Our house is going on the market next week...and having read the recent threads on the subject we are not looking forward to the experience at all....we've had 5 agents round so far to value....and have been utterly astonished at the huge discrepancies in their estimates! We live in a small village outside Whitby, and all the valuers are "locals" who have been working with our market for years....and yet they still manage to produce valuations that differ wildly (by as much as £80k) on a house that friends & relatives reckon is high 200s!!!...As you can imagine we are struggling with what price to put on it!
I guess it depends on whether houses are selling in your neck of the woods? Are there any similar houses up for sale around you if so what are they asking.

Its dead here at the minute, but a friend who lives 20 miles away sold her's in a week!! had 5 people bidding on it.

I wish you loads of luck with it

Possoms
Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:36 pm
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Originally Posted by possoms
I guess it depends on whether houses are selling in your neck of the woods? Are there any similar houses up for sale around you if so what are they asking.

Its dead here at the minute, but a friend who lives 20 miles away sold her's in a week!! had 5 people bidding on it.

I wish you loads of luck with it

Possoms
Thanks Possums....good houses do seem to be selling...(enough "SOLD" signs around) and yes, I think the only way we can judge the market is by looking at similar properties and what we think they sold for...errmmm....so what is it again we employ Estate Agents for???...methinks I am in the wrong business...but then, I dont think my hide is thick enough!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:42 pm

Thanks Possums....good houses do seem to be selling...(enough "SOLD" signs around) and yes, I think the only way we can judge the market is by looking at similar properties and what we think they sold for...errmmm....so what is it again we employ Estate Agents for???...methinks I am in the wrong business...but then, I dont think my hide is thick enough!
Dont get me started on bloody estate agents, after sitting for 4 days after last viewer hoping we'd get an offer, I rang agent to find they had contacted them the 2 days earlier to say not interested.

Never thought to tell us

To be honest ours is a peculier property. the 3 agents we had out didnt have a clue what is was worth!! they just guessed and we went along with a price in the middle.

Loads of luck to you have you got your visas?

Possoms
Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:55 pm
Marvin for PM

Originally Posted by possoms
Dont get me started on bloody estate agents, after sitting for 4 days after last viewer hoping we'd get an offer, I rang agent to find they had contacted them the 2 days earlier to say not interested.

Never thought to tell us

To be honest ours is a peculier property. the 3 agents we had out didnt have a clue what is was worth!! they just guessed and we went along with a price in the middle.

Loads of luck to you have you got your visas?

Possoms
Oh dear!...methinks we need to expect the worst and then be pleasantly surprised...no visa's yet........but ours is a very straightforward application so not expecting any hiccups....famous last words...I see you got yours a couple of days ago...congrats!!...and good luck with selling yours...we have the luxury of being able to wait until next year if needs be...not everyone is that fortunate.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Seriously
You are, quite seriously, bonkers. If you think that property is going up in the next 6 months - you must be living in a different country from me. You are in the UK? Good idea, take it off the market in August - just coming up to the second buying season of the year and put it back on in February - when the market is as dead as a dodo.
Why not accept that your property is worth exactly what anyone is prepared to pay you for it? If you have it on the market for say 2 months, you've had it with a good agent who has advertised it and sent it out to interested parties - if you've had no offers it is overpriced - or the market is dead and there are no buyers about. Either way - if you want or need to sell - take a drop.
Thanks for the constructive advise

Did anyone tell you that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit and really really unhelpful!!
Old Aug 16th 2005, 10:56 am

Oh dear!...methinks we need to expect the worst and then be pleasantly surprised...no visa's yet........but ours is a very straightforward application so not expecting any hiccups....famous last words...I see you got yours a couple of days ago...congrats!!...and good luck with selling yours...we have the luxury of being able to wait until next year if needs be...not everyone is that fortunate.
Sorry didnt mean it to sound like I was putting a downer on things, we also arent going until next year now, decided to have another xmas here then go new year.

Old Aug 16th 2005, 11:21 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Was watching the news in the Gym this morning and interestingly there was a piece in response to the latest figures released today by a couple of the chartered institutes (I dont listen to what banks say.. ).

They advised that a house price crash was now very unlikely indeed and house sales are up. The number of properties being sold is increasing and although less than last year it was generally recognised as a boom year anyway. The outlook was good.

House prices are in general on the increase still and this is expected to remain the trend for the rest of the year but at a rate of some 2-5% per annum.

Thought I would at least share that little bit of optimism with the people selling houses (myself included). Despite the fact that a few people on the forum would love to see a price crash or have been predicting one it does not seem to be happening.

August is always a crap time of year to try and sell but no doubt everyone here will at some point
Old Aug 16th 2005, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Was watching the news in the Gym this morning and interestingly there was a piece in response to the latest figures released today by a couple of the chartered institutes (I dont listen to what banks say.. ).

They advised that a house price crash was now very unlikely indeed and house sales are up. The number of properties being sold is increasing and although less than last year it was generally recognised as a boom year anyway. The outlook was good.

House prices are in general on the increase still and this is expected to remain the trend for the rest of the year but at a rate of some 2-5% per annum.

Thought I would at least share that little bit of optimism with the people selling houses (myself included). Despite the fact that a few people on the forum would love to see a price crash or have been predicting one it does not seem to be happening.

August is always a crap time of year to try and sell but no doubt everyone here will at some point
Thats very reassurring thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.