Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Flights via singapore

Flights via singapore

Old Aug 8th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Flights via singapore

Have been checking out prices with Singapore airlines via singapore as want to get the longest leg out the way first with 2 young children 1 & 3 have a few questions
1. It seems the only way to get the extra baggage allowance is fly straight through if you stop over you are not eligible? any way round this?
2. Have checked prices with travelbag, airline network and austravel. Airline network coming out best at £603.80 adult and £501 child flying in Nov does this seem resonable or anyone recommend anyone else.
3. Has anyone used airline network? would they recommend?
4. We are getting a seat for 20 month old would you recommend taking a car seat or not, we are stopping in Singapore for 2 days what do you do with said car seat, baggage on stopover?

sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for any advise.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

MORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura aboutMORCPOM1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Flights via singapore

We too have booked through Airline Network and so far so good, We fly out on 23rd. Regarding car seat sorry couldn't tell you, we had an 11 month old first time round and she was in sky cot. Would your 20 month old not be entitled to a sky cot? Have received a letter from Singapore Airlines today stating what you have said. If you stop over you are not entitled to 40kg baggage allowance. We are flying straight through to Brisbane so using the 40kg allowance. Watch if you are taking internal flights in Oz as they don't allow this much baggage on there domestic flights. Think it is only 23kg then you pay $20 per 10kg over....I think. Have a great flight and all the best for you new life in Australia.
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

I have written confirmation that we have 40K luggage allowance, however it didn't specify anything about not being valid if we stop over. Now you've got me worried, so I've e-mailed tham again to clarify. I'll keep you updated with their response. As for luggage etc, we are staying over for 2 nights to break up the journey and we are leaving all but one case in left luggage at the airport. We too have 2 young ones so it'd be a nightmare having to lug ALL our cases there and back. I've attached the link below for the left luggage at Changi Airport if it helps.

http://www.changiairport.com/changi/...ml?__locale=en
Old Aug 8th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for that, austravel told me about the luggage allowance and stopover and i then checked with airline network who said the same thing so keep me posted if you hear anything different. If you pay for a child seat do they also get 20kg? Any recommendations for hotels in Singapore?
Old Aug 8th 2008, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Have been checking out prices with Singapore airlines via singapore as want to get the longest leg out the way first with 2 young children 1 & 3 have a few questions
1. It seems the only way to get the extra baggage allowance is fly straight through if you stop over you are not eligible? any way round this?
2. Have checked prices with travelbag, airline network and austravel. Airline network coming out best at £603.80 adult and £501 child flying in Nov does this seem resonable or anyone recommend anyone else.
4. We are getting a seat for 20 month old would you recommend taking a car seat or not, we are stopping in Singapore for 2 days what do you do with said car seat, baggage on stopover?

why dont you just book direct on the singapore airlines website? It does work out a bit cheaper and you can choose your seats
Old Aug 9th 2008, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

bigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nicebigkaz is just really nice

I've booked with Airline Network several times before,mainly to travel fromUK to Us but never had any problems with them.
I've only flown Singapore airlines once and we booked online with them and added the 'Singapore Stopover' which gives you discounted hotel rates and free entry into many attractions while you're there.
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...?v=-104196454&

Not sure if you get this if you book via agents,though you may do if you ask.

Cant help with the baggage question,though I did get charged a huge excess baggage fee as we didnt qualify for the 40kg bags.
Good luck
Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point

We used airline network with no prob

but didn't have a stop over, as didn't want to put up with all the extra jujourneyime, eg leave airport, find hotel, unpack a few items, suffer jet lag, live out of suitcase for a day or two, go back to airport allow for check in time wait about etc.

we left the uk at 12 noon ish and arrived in oz about 7pm tried not to sleep much on the plane booked a room at the ibis hotel at the airport, on arrival got the hotel bus to the reception, went to the room put the children to bed and then we went to sleep, didnt suffer much in the way of jet lag, woke up fine in the morning. alos booked a holiday rental for two weeks by the beach, while we looked around for a house to rent, got a discount on it as it was out of season.

with regard to car seat, we didnt bring any, but after looking about for some here found that the ones here were mostly popolystyrenend the seat belt didnt go over the children's shoulder but was held in front about 3-4 inches by the car seat, we ended up ordering two UK ones online and getting my parents to bring them two week later. so if you can bring yours for free i would.

our 2 children we 3 & 5 at the time as they nonormallylay up for mumummy sat both of them to my right by the window and other half to my left, there was no probs during the whole flight, we said when we got here thats the best behaved they have been.

James
Old Aug 9th 2008, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Thankfully, I've just received confirmation that the excess allowance is still valid, even with a stopover. Hope that helps.

Last edited by ShoreyM; Aug 9th 2008 at 6:25 am. Reason: typo-a bit early !
Old Aug 11th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by raven
why dont you just book direct on the singapore airlines website? It does work out a bit cheaper and you can choose your seats
Tried to book direct on singapore airlines website and came out £400 more expensive!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

we have travelled singapore airlines four times now. the last time was christmas with my then 5 yr old and two year old. we stopped in singapore for two nights also, they are so child friendly. we were on holiday for five weeks in oz and i brought my youngest a baby seat whilst there( a booster syle seat with back and head rest, very lightweight) on our return we just checked it in and its not included in your allowance, in singapore we then used it to get to our hotel and back to the airport then checked it in again. i think it was far easier to check in and my terrible two year old slept on his own seat very well! i booked with travel bag every time lthough like someone else said earlier sometimes it is cheaper to book direct.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Tried to book direct on singapore airlines website and came out £400 more expensive!
Singapore flights were £40 cheaper for us when we booked direct with them, compared to airline network price Did you put 2 adults and 2 children in Airline network page and add a stopover as well, that could be the price difference as I couldn't see the option to add stopover on there.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TMRE
Singapore flights were £40 cheaper for us when we booked direct with them, compared to airline network price Did you put 2 adults and 2 children in Airline network page and add a stopover as well, that could be the price difference as I couldn't see the option to add stopover on there.
I just called them and did it over the phone i might try calling singapore airlines as well.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry meant to ask did you get the extra baggage going direct even though you had a stopover?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally Posted by TMRE
It's a matter of timing and luck. Sometimes it works out cheaper to book direct and other times it doesn't.

I've just booked seats for my parents who are coming over the same time as they did last Jan and it is much more expensive this year than last. The tax alone has increased the price considerably. The best price I could get for good flight times and connections were with Airline Network.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Phoenix97 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We flew BA to Singapore had a two day stopover and then onto Perth with Qantas. BA gave us double their allowance but Qantas charged us £300 for excess baggage, over 20kg even though we had phoned them pre-flight to check the allowance as we were emigrating. Go figure?

It depends on the airline. Some give bigger allowances for emigrants, some don't.

Best advice....get your baggage allowance in writing from the airline before you depart, that way you will avoid an argument with the check in staff and a shock when they ask for more money!

Good luck

Sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.